Gransnet forums

News & politics

Which way do you think it's going to go?

(69 Posts)
grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 18:25:25

I reckon hung parliament. I am willing to bet 20p.

Your turn......

janeainsworth Wed 30-Oct-19 18:31:41

No idea.
But here’s a link to an article in the Economist explains how & why it might not go quite so well as Boris obviously thinks it will.
www.economist.com/britain/2019/10/29/boris-johnson-gets-his-christmas-election

Jane43 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:33:55

I believe it will be another hung parliament too. The country is too divided and likely to remain so.

52bright Wed 30-Oct-19 18:37:07

it is difficult to call. I usually vote Labour but I don't like Corbyn ...too far left for me. Shall I vote for the party ...or refuse because of the leader? I don't know yet.

I also have friends who usually vote Conservative ...but don't like Johnson ...too much mess over Brexit ...got rid of Theresa May to facilitate his own ambition and too far right for some. Will they vote for the Party ...or refuse because of the leader? Who knows?

It is any bodies guess and I think I would be prepared to bet rather more than 20p on a hung parliament. Will there be great gains for the Liberal Party as many of us refuse to validate our usual parties ...or will we not forget their unholy alliance with the Conservative party and their refusal/inability to honour their election promises?

Maybe the Greens will form a government as the electorate move away in droves from their traditional loyalties ...or not grin

Iam64 Wed 30-Oct-19 19:36:45

Scary isn't it, that we're heading for an election which may well leave us with another hung parliament. I wish we had representation other than FPTP which leaves most of us voting for one of the main two parties. Also voting tactically in some constituencies, especially this time around.

I will vote Labour because we have a good MP and are a marginal. Corbyn and his leadership gang don't appeal to me at all and if we weren't in such dire straits and desperate to avoid giving Johnson a majority, I'd vote Green or Lib Dem

SirChenjin Wed 30-Oct-19 19:43:46

I’ll put 20p on a hung Parliament too

MaizieD Wed 30-Oct-19 19:46:02

Hung Parliament

Oopsminty Wed 30-Oct-19 19:50:40

Hung

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 19:51:33

Hangers...who is hangin?

Pantglas2 Wed 30-Oct-19 19:59:39

I’ve had enough- I want a clear winner and don’t actually care who wins, I’ll make my plans accordingly.

lemongrove Wed 30-Oct-19 21:29:27

The UK is split pretty evenly on Brexit, so it’s the obvious bet for a hung Parliament but Corbyn is so unpopular now and has dithered about what Labour wants, so I think the LP may do quite badly.
The Lib Dems will pick up disgruntled Remainers votes surely, and the Brexit Party may split the Conservative vote.
However I think Johnson will garner more successes than T May did at the last GE.

Grannybags Wed 30-Oct-19 21:37:24

I can't see us having a clear winner either unfortunately. I think the Lib Dems will benefit from the Remain vote.

Both main parties have "Marmite" leaders - people either love 'em or hate 'em!

Deedaa Wed 30-Oct-19 21:43:07

Really don't have a clue this time. I suppose a hung parliament is the most likely.

Sara65 Wed 30-Oct-19 22:06:24

I agree, I think there will be a hung parliament.

We were discussing it at work this morning and no one knows who to vote for, traditionally I would have voted Tory, but I’ll never vote for Boris, I don’t think I will ever vote Tory again.

I won’t vote labour, I may have done with a more moderate leader, but I dislike Corbyn.

Lib/dems? Not a chance, find their new leader horrible, can’t bear the sound of her voice, and although I voted remain, I find her idea of stopping Brexit arrogant end undemocratic, so where does this leave me? Abstaining seems the only option.

NotTooOld Wed 30-Oct-19 22:43:11

I reckon Boris will win it but with a very small majority. And what good will that do us? Back to square one.

NotTooOld Wed 30-Oct-19 22:44:10

And I agree with Sara about the Lib Dem leader. How dare she brag about ignoring a democratic vote?

janeainsworth Wed 30-Oct-19 23:30:07

At least Jo Swinson is true to her own beliefs.
As for ignoring a democratic vote, you could argue that as the vast majority of voters, myself included, didn’t understand the implications of Brexit, implementing the results of the Referendum was a very warped form of democracy. We are a representative and not a direct democracy.
But like others I can’t vote Tory whole Johnson is in power; I can’t vote Labour while Corbyn is leader.
So LibDem it will be, though probably a wasted vote except to stick two fingers up at the two main parties.

SirChenjin Thu 31-Oct-19 07:30:26

How dare she brag about ignoring a democratic vote?

The vote was always advisory.

kittylester Thu 31-Oct-19 07:36:58

I suspect it will be a small majority for the Tories.

Oopsminty Thu 31-Oct-19 07:42:51

Not keen on Jo Swinson. Isn't she more Tory than some Tories? Her voting record is interesting. Loads of articles about her. This is from 2017 but it's worth a read

www.independent.co.uk/voices/tim-farron-resigns-jo-swinson-new-leader-liberal-democrats-voting-record-wrong-choice-a7793056.html

Yehbutnobut Thu 31-Oct-19 08:31:15

SirChenjin I wish more people understood that.

As I see it Parliament has done a good job protecting the country from the disaster of a no deal. Certain well respected politicians from all parties (eg Ken Clark) have worked together to stop that disasterous scenario.

What is harder is to get a good deal. One that might, for example, contain a customs union.

Listening to ‘the public’ being interviewed on TV I only hope that ‘Whitehaven Man’ (and his wife) see through this People v Parliament shit that the likes of Boris and Rees-Mogg are trying to sell them.

Dinahmo Thu 31-Oct-19 08:55:12

I watched Jo Swinson with Andrew Neil last night and wasn't impressed. I agree with Oopsminty that she is more Tory than some Tories so she may go down well in some of the Tory constituencies.

To those people who are deciding not to vote Labour because of Corbyn - please, please think again. I'm someone who joined the LP after Corbyn was selected as leader because I was impressed by him but I would now prefer a different leader. The LP has a good range of policies which would benefit the majority of the population and, on the whole their front bench are, IMHO, a lot better than those on the Tory front bench.

Apparently when the LP policies were put to various focus groups, with out the originators being identified, the groups were all in favour. However, when the groups were told that they were Labour policies, many of the groups members rejected them.

Yesterday Johnson was still talking about 20,000 extra police when we know that these are replacing the ones that were cut, and 40 new hospitals which is also untrue.

Last night Andrew Neill also interviewed James Cleverly and discussed those 2 topics. Cleverly insisted that the Tories were going to put the largest sum ever (I forget how much) into the NHS. AN responded that the increase in NHS funding had only increased by 1% each year over the past 10 years when it should have been 3 -4% per annum and that the amount the Tories were planning to input was less than the accumulated reduction over their period in office. Cleverly's response was that the cuts were necessary. It's funny how they're managing to find the money now.

petra Thu 31-Oct-19 09:14:32

I have to say that as much as I dislike Jo Swinson she does have the skin of a Rhino.
Earlier yesterday she was accused of having delusions of grandeur by Martha Karney on radio4 and then we have Andrew Neill almost laughing at her campaign leaflet stating that she's going to be the next PM.

Fiachna50 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:17:34

It will be a hung parliament and we are going to be stuck in this nightmare for years. I also think if the weather turns out to be dreadful, we will get many skewed results. Folk will look out of the window and if the weather is hellish they won't go out in it to vote. Our MP has been publicising the postal vote on their Facebook page. Im seriously considering it incase the weather is rubbish.

Daisymae Thu 31-Oct-19 09:33:16

I am thinking a hung parliament too. Lots of traditional voters pulling away from normal voting stance because of the current leadership. Brexit supporters disappointed with Johnson too. I am voting green, I think.