Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are some promises holier than others?

(10 Posts)
Greta Fri 01-Nov-19 13:13:45

We were told that the decision of the referendum would be implemented. But why is it perfectly acceptable to break a range of other promises, i.e. Brexit would be easy and would have no downsides, Brexit would not be a problem for the Irish border, NHS would have 350 million a week, etc, etc What makes the promise to implement the referendum result special and sacrosanct?

Some MPs have certainly changed their minds: “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.” (David Davis)

Calendargirl Fri 01-Nov-19 15:26:45

Were we told Brexit would be easy? I thought we were asked to vote to stay in or leave, don’t recall anyone mentioning how easy or difficult it would be to implement the result, but of course it was assumed we would all vote to remain and that would be the end of it.

Do you think DC lies awake at night, tossing and turning over his decision to call the referendum, and the ensuing chaos that resulted?

Probably not.

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 15:28:06

David Davis was also the twit who said it would be easy to leave the EU a walk in the park etc a ridiculous thing to say......did anyone believe that bit of nonsense?

The promise (to abide by the results)was more ‘sacrosanct’ than the other promises because the referendum result being implemented was why the electorate turned out in such
massive numbers to vote.
The other promises were the mechanisms of how we would
leave the EU etc.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 01-Nov-19 15:31:12

What gets me is that many MPs are putting all sorts of obstacles in the way of Brexit and then blaming BJ for not delivering Brexit.

Can they have it both ways?

Fennel Fri 01-Nov-19 15:35:07

As has been said many times on here, in British law, the results of a referendum are only advisory. ie not legally imperative.

Calendargirl Fri 01-Nov-19 15:41:26

lbc1955

Yes. Listening to Jeremy Corbin yesterday shouting how Boris failing to deliver Brexit was all his fault!

It made me want to shout back “Well, if you lot had supported him a bit more, he would have done!”

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Nov-19 15:43:35

Jeremy Corbyn will blame anyone apart from himself and all the other MPs who have opposed the UK leaving the EU.

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 15:46:02

I agree Calendargirl .....but then Corbyn says all sorts of barmy things!

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 15:49:01

Yes Fennel that was clear from the start ( referendums are advisory) but it was also clear from the start that the government said the results would be implemented, and Parliament duly went along with it.It was a solemn promise made to the electorate.

Davidhs Fri 01-Nov-19 16:24:36

Anyone - yes anyone who thought Brexit was going to be easy was either a fool or a liar, in David Davis’s case he was a liar.
He was talking nonsense about cherry picking a deal and Canada plus plus plus, nonsense, the EU was never going to concede that, and so it has transpired.

Now it is just a case of making the best of a bad deal, there are no winners everyone looses. The Withdrawl Agreement is all things to all men, it can be a free trade agreement, or no deal or something in between. If agreement is not achieved expect lots of tariffs across the board and another year of uncertainty.

Farage now talking about fielding candidates in every seat at the election, probably not getting anyone elected will really mess up both Labour and Tory votes. Maybe Boris was not counting on that when he called for an election.