Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farage

(136 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 17:21:43

Farage has trousered a lot of money from a lot of gullible people since he started his company with no accountability whatsoever.

It is rumoured that he has squirrelled the money away and it isn’t available to fund candidates standing for his company.

Q. Can a company stand in a political election?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:42:13

ames O'Brien
@mrjamesob

Will it explain how members/customers can democratically change leaders? Will anyone ever ask him?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:41:12

Ah all is clear, or not?

NEW @Nigel_Farage says in Workington that the Brexit Party will not publish a manifesto.
He will issue "a contract with the British people - we will not call it a manifesto.
"Let the others call theirs manifestos nobody will believe a word they say." #GE2019

trisher Tue 05-Nov-19 13:07:57

Oh if only he could do everything in private Callistemon the world would be such a better place.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 12:23:31

trisher perhaps he's doing facial yoga in an attempt to stave off the wrinkles (see wrinkles thread)

I only do that in private (I think)

Urmstongran Tue 05-Nov-19 12:01:53

Thanks Nonnie - just goes to show I’m listening (and learning)!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Nov-19 11:20:19

I read that Brexit Party candidates - carefully chosen by that well known democrat -Farage, are expected to pay the deposit and pick up the tab for election expenses.

Where’s all the money gone?

One day those fooled into giving Farage money will understand what he has done with it and perhaps bring a case if fraud.

He will be long gone to the USA by then.

trisher Tue 05-Nov-19 10:30:15

M0nica the gurning is probably the result of his long exposure to Earth's gravity! There's only one solution -send him back to Sirius along with the oher candidates.

varian Tue 05-Nov-19 10:22:22

Wera Hobhouse was born in Germany but is proud to be a British citizen and LibDem MP for Bath. She has done a great job and should be re-elected with an increased majority.

Nonnie Tue 05-Nov-19 09:59:18

Thanks MOnica

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 09:50:13

Seeing an interview with Nigel Farage yesterday, I am beginning to think he is becoming a caricature of himself, gurning and writhing.

He is rapidly becoming a live Spitting Image character.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 09:39:47

she comes from the star Sirius etc

But surely that-s true - don't we all?

can a non-UK citizen be elected to parliament
Interesting question
I'm thinking of Peter Haig, Wera Hobhouse and wondering what their status was/is.

Didn't the Greens have an Australian leader (but not elected) at one time?

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 09:25:27

An non Uk citizen can become an MP if they are a citizen of a commonwealth country who does not require leave to enter or remain in the UK, or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK www.parliament.uk/get-involved/elections/standing/

M0nica Tue 05-Nov-19 09:22:11

2 Labour candidates have been found to have written online or said things that are egregiously anti-semitic.

Nonnie Mon 04-Nov-19 15:22:52

Urmstongran Mon 04-Nov-19 09:29:23 although I am on a different side to you in this discussion I appreciate you admitting to a change of heart. That is quite rare.

Can a non-UK citizen be elected to parliament?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Nov-19 15:07:12

I can’t think that the candidates have been properly vetted.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Nov-19 15:05:39

??? one candidate they won’t be fielding

A former general election candidate for the Brexit Party has stood down after it emerged that she believes she comes from the star Sirius and that aliens are already working with world governments.

Jill Hughes, who was the party's prospective candidate for Batley and Spen, also believes in "elves/fairies/mermaids/unicorns and all things elemental and otherworldly", and that her horse was reincarnated as another horse.

The Australian has only been in the U.K. since 2018, so he won’t be a U.K. citizen for the whole of the next parliament

Labaik Mon 04-Nov-19 14:58:52

Didn't someone say they'd given the Brexit party thousands of pounds a while back?

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 14:46:28

One of them is Australian

grin
although none of the Australians I encountered could understand why anyone would vote to leave

but didn't Farage get a rapturous reception in Sydney from a limited audience?

jura2 Mon 04-Nov-19 13:38:56

some of them have the weirdest of backgrounds, for sure.

One of them is Australian, lived in USA and arrived in UK last year???

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:58:25

grin

You buy one, you get one free
Like double glazing

lemongrove Mon 04-Nov-19 12:56:58

That’s what I thought Callistemon ?Did they come as a job lot?

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 12:44:00

600 candidates? shock
Where have they appeared from?

growstuff Mon 04-Nov-19 11:51:32

So what's in Johnson's version of Brexit which is better in your opinion than May's version?

Urmstongran Mon 04-Nov-19 11:16:42

No idea. Not bothered now as I shan’t be voting for them anyway. I’m backing Boris and his compromise Brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Nov-19 10:59:47

Have they published a manifesto I wonder?