Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's vote twice!

(20 Posts)
Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 06:01:06

Article in the Fail. However it's a subject I've discussed with my children more than once.

This has been open to abuse for a long time .

Not sure how anyone can police this flaw.

Unless you ask students to just use the postal vote system

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7641065/Undergraduates-tweet-boasting-shell-vote-twice-exposes-lax-voting-system.html

MaizieD Sat 02-Nov-19 06:39:55

Let's whip up a bit of hysteria about an unproven accusation.

But then, this is from a paper renowned for its inaccuracies and spin. So inaccurate that Wikipedia won't accept it as a credible information source.

This might be a rather more balanced view of the topic of student voting

www.hepi.ac.uk/2019/10/28/the-student-vote-does-it-matter-in-2019-which-seats-could-it-affect-how-is-corbyn-faring-among-students/

(Written by a tory)

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 06:44:12

No, not really MaizieD.

There is a lot of evidence and It certainly does happen.

In fact it was happening years ago.

BBC any better? True it's Conservative MP's but I'm surprised that it's not mentioned more

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40509178

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 06:49:08

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43245969

Hit enter too fast.

It's early

MaizieD Sat 02-Nov-19 07:02:41

If there was 'a lot of evidence' then there should have been investigations which either supported or dismissed the accusations. There don't appear to have been any (otherwise the DM would be shouting loudly about them)

What you mean is 'there is a lot of rumour and supposition'

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 07:10:14

Students tend to vote for Labour.

Daily Mails agenda is clear.

You can trust their headlines as much as you can trust Johnson.

Not a lot

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 07:13:50

Indeed, WW2. And if students voted Conservative I imagine there would be articles in the Guardian about it!

I raised it because it has been rumbling around for a while. I've heard, hearsay of course, that it happens.

Just thought it was interesting.

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Nov-19 07:46:04

With an election that is called in December, several factors can come into play. Many employees that work in industries such as retail, transport, food etc are very busy and therefore may not easily find the time or inclination to vote. That could favour the Tories.

The weather may play a large factor. Should it be poor then many older people may not be inclined to make the journey to the polling station and that could favour Labour in this election.

So, with the Buffoon Johnson calling this election in December rather than waiting until the spring then the unpredictable increases and that could play to the benefit or deficit of any party.

However, the Daily Fail will only publish what is not beneficial to the Tory or Brexit Parties in this election.

That stated, the best friend of Labour at the moment is Donald Trump it would seem. ?

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 07:51:54

Well here's one from the Guardian

Just for balance.

Couple of years ago

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/17/watchdog-investigates-claims-of-people-voting-twice-at-general-election

I'm surprised at a December election. People's minds will be on Christmas. Possibly a low turn out. Maybe that's what Boris is after.

I know that here in GN people are extremely fervent about politics but I don't see much interest in the real world.

As for Trump! What a ridiculous thing to do. Talk about putting off your voters. Don't think Boris was too happy about Trump's intervention

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Nov-19 07:56:29

Yes, keep it up Donald. ?????

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Nov-19 08:00:29

Perhaps if thought of a Labour Government running Britain upsets Trump enough he will pay us all another visit before polling day.

That would really seal Johnsons fate in this election.???????

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 08:02:04

I think you're right, Grandad1943!

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Nov-19 08:12:51

Yes, I can see Trump over here now supporting Johnson in yet another of his visit to hospitals.

There be is,Trump stood with his arm around Johnson singing his praises while at the same time eyeing up all what America is about to take over.

He hopes. ???

rubysong Sat 02-Nov-19 09:13:15

The weather shouldn't put voters off. They can phone any of the parties and they will send a car for them, once in the booth they can vote for anyone they choose.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 09:29:11

I agree ruby they can also have a postal vote, all our AC have one.All this talk about dark, possibly wet and windy weather putting off voters is rubbish.They have all day, from early morning to late at night to go and vote.If working, then
In the evening.People still manage to get out to their clubs,WI
Choir practise, bell ringing, whatever their hobbies are, or to the pub for a pint, the cinema, the theatre etc in December.
If there is a low turn out of voters it’s simply down to people being last caring and not trusting any politicians.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 09:29:52

Typo....past caring.

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 09:31:50

I think there will be more than a few who are past caring, lemongrove. Close friend of mine has actually said she is unsure if she'll vote.

And she's an ex teacher. 72. Never missed a vote.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 09:33:03

Sorry Oopsminty I didn’t answer your OP.
I think it’s high time that all loopholes are closed regarding voting, all electoral fraud cheats the country.

kittylester Sat 02-Nov-19 09:33:59

Quite rubysong.

And, as for people having Christmas on their mind what a weird thing to say! Most of us can manage to think about more than one thing at a time!

MaizieD Sat 02-Nov-19 10:31:54

I have looked at the Guardian article posted by Oopsminty; which is a factual report about the Electoral Commission investigating claims that students had voted twice.

I have searched the EC's website This is an annexe to their report on electoral fraud in the 2017 General Election

Start

Allegations of double voting

2.20 In the days following the June 2017 UK general election, a number of people on social media claimed they had voted twice at the general election.

We received a significant amount of correspondence referring to these social media posts – our report on electoral registration at the 2017 UKPGE noted
that at the time of publication we had received 1,013 emails and 15 telephone calls from members of the public referring to media reports about these claims.

2.21 To date, we have received 60 letters from 47 MPs raising constituents’ concerns on this issue.

2.22 The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) has collated information from police forces across the UK about the current status of their investigations into allegations of double voting. In December 2017 we reported that a total of 17 individual allegations of double voting had been
identified from claims made directly to the police or indirectly via elected representatives, the press or social media.

2.23 By the end of January 2018, we had received notification of five allegations of electoral fraud which related to double voting from police SPOCs.5

2.24 As detailed above one of these cases resulted in a conviction. Two cases resulted in no further action following the conclusion of police investigations; one was classed as ‘other’ and deemed not in the public interest to prosecute; and the remaining case is still under investigation.

End

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/Fraud-allegations-data-report-2017.pdf

Note, there is no mention of it being specifically students who were complained about.