Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election promises- are they getting desperate?

(98 Posts)
MawB Fri 15-Nov-19 04:30:27

Or are our Christmas stockings going to be bulging with goodies? The first thing that caught my insomniac eye this morning reading the online DT was this:

BORIS JOHNSON will reinstate local railway lines scrapped during the Beeching cuts in the Sixties as part of a package of measures to rejuvenate provincial towns.
The Conservatives will make a manifesto pledge to spend £500 million opening branch lines that closed more than 50 years ago, starting with routes in the north of England
Writing in The Daily Telegraph, Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, promises the plan will “banish the shadow of Beeching and restore those connections which made our country great and brought our people together
Yeah right. How good would it be, but do we believe it? And who is going to pay for it?
Each day seems to bring a new promise, each more desperate than the last - and not just from the Tories. Our health service is imploding, our crime rate is rising with inadequate resourcing for policing, we have ever growing numbers of homeless on the streets, - are promises of “jam tomorrow” really going to convince?
Oh and our potholes locally are still dire, as is the state of the pavements. .

GracesGranMK3 Fri 15-Nov-19 10:08:32

One-party states! Sometimes you have to question if some people should have the vote although, of course, if you want a one party state you presumably don't believe you need a vote.

Davidhs Fri 15-Nov-19 10:10:24

Reinstating branch lines as JRM suggests won’t help everyone get to work in the cities most of those are already in use or built on. It’s only rural branch lines that are available and they would never be remotely viable. The branch line we have closeby does have passengers at work times but rest of the day very few and must run at a big loss

M0nica Fri 15-Nov-19 10:16:44

What happens when parts of these reinstated railways are found to have been levelled and built over? Stations are now private homes, businesses and schools?

I am wondering whether to start a party that promises to make sure that everyone earns an above average wage, makes every employer provide free transport to work, loving mothers and apple pie every day. Oh, yes, doctors to provide home visits within an hour when asked 24/7

Anyone else want to contribute policies to my new party.

I think I will call it the Potty Party.

lemongrove Fri 15-Nov-19 10:23:25

I think you will find that ‘Corbyn’s Party’ will shortly be offering all those things Monica ( it’s already the Potty Party)?

rem1997 Fri 15-Nov-19 10:26:43

Broadband controlled by a government - China, North Korea, Venezuela, Russia etc. spring to mind. It can be shut down overnight and there would be no privacy - everything under scrutiny!
Not-mentioned criteria for eligibility.

M0nica Fri 15-Nov-19 10:30:02

Australia tried to introduce nationwide broad band on the model proposed by Labour. It has been unsuccessful and cost three times as much as budgeted. Of course, that is why Labour thought it would be such a good idea for us to follow suit. Heaven forfend that they should have ever knowingly back a policy that can work and be cost effective.

25Avalon Fri 15-Nov-19 10:32:13

Election promises apart and whether it happens or not it isn't a bad idea although not practical for everywhere. There are still a lot of branch lines that could be reopened or reinstated keeping cars off the road and providing an alternative for poor rural bus services. This will surely help with environmental issues.
Portishead, near Bristol, has a railway line which could be upgraded and reopened. Loads of new houses have been built in Portishead but most residents have to ensure a slow tortuous journey by car into Bristol, where the majority work, where there is then the problem of parking. On top of that diesel cars are to be banned from the city. It is a no brainer to reopen the railway line and get people to work in a fraction of the time at a fraction of the cost to the environment. I am sure there are other lines in other parts of the country which whould offer similar benefits but each would need to be considered on its merits.

MawB Fri 15-Nov-19 10:37:33

To be fair, the lovely Waverley line from Edinburgh to Galashiels and Tweedbank, which closed in the 60’s under Beeching, reopened a few years ago after a long and vigorous campaign. New housing at Tweedbank along with perhaps having the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh may have contributed to its viability. I wonder whether other areas are in the same position.

Davidhs Fri 15-Nov-19 10:52:44

The amount of data bandwidth used by business is tiny compared with streaming video, only the very largest business get to that level, also I did not hear that free broadband for business was proposed.

MaizieD Fri 15-Nov-19 10:54:07

Don't people think that needing to do something radical about limiting the effects of Climate Change, by, for example, cutting back heavily on car usage, might make us think differently about what we need in the way of public transport?

Re-opening some branch lines seems to me to be a viable part of the mix, for passenger and freight transport. Many of them were only cut in the first place because road transport was seen as the 'future'.

polnan Fri 15-Nov-19 11:00:23

I admit I haven`t read all your comments, but agree with Calendar girl,, "It was ever thus"

as for the NHS and most other "nationalised" or paid for by the taxpayer services... it is the wastage, I would say corruption, that is the problem,
from my dh being in hospital recently, fabulous, truly caring and all the good comments about the docs and nurses,

the administration is abysmal, and I see that as the biggest problem with so many "services/business" here in the UK

corruption, wastage,, total incompetents at times

go on shoot me down!

Davidhs Fri 15-Nov-19 11:06:47

Most branch lines never did make money, in fact have any railways ever broken even, most seem to rely on a state subsidy of some kind

Roads on the other hand make money in the form of taxation, fuel, vehicle tax, even insurance taxation.

The only answer is to travel less, do we really “need” to travel the way we do

M0nica Fri 15-Nov-19 11:08:40

I am all for opening up railway lines. As someone who suffers from travel sickness on buses and living in a village that used to have station, I am all for it

BUT

Over the last fifty years we have developed our environment so that work, housing, shopping and education are now scatterd all over the place. Combined with families with two wage earners and regular job changes, it will be almost impossible to provide enough diversity of routes to effectively remove more than a small proporion of current car journeys.

Enough, possibly, to remove some of the congestion from inner cities and outer ring roads, which will enable vehicles to run more efficiently but more than that I doubt without a major demolition and rebuilding of about half the built landscape.

Urmstongran Fri 15-Nov-19 11:12:13

Broadband by one provider? Say BT? OH NO!! Remember telephone ‘party lines’ in the early 70’s? Take it or leave it attitude as there was no other choice?

Competition has to be healthy surely? What would happen to say Vodaphone or Virgin?

Crazy.

Davidhs Fri 15-Nov-19 11:13:35

For transport the future is electric, electrified rail for long distance freight and passengers between “hubs”, battery electric for local movement. Renewable power mostly and far less pollution we are part way along that road now.

petra Fri 15-Nov-19 11:13:37

polnan
I won't shoot you down. Having worked in a nationalised industry i can only agree with, corruption, wastage, and total incompetents.

Urmstongran Fri 15-Nov-19 11:15:28

Or maybe MOnica shorter car journeys to catch a train outside a city centre where parking facilities are decent?

Maybe public transport should be free to encourage us all to us it and be greener!

Davidhs Fri 15-Nov-19 11:16:24

The broad “line” would be free, be sure you would pay for any ISP services but it’s not going to happen

Patticake123 Fri 15-Nov-19 11:28:39

Desperate is the word. It also shows just how out of touch they are in their Westminster bubble. I reckon a lot of the former railway lines have been built on or made into leisure routes. Will they have to demolish people’s homes to achieve their hollow promises?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 15-Nov-19 11:35:30

Just get on with doing what we asked in 2016, still waiting, only then will I listen and be convinced they can be trusted in and carrying out anything they spout.

MaizieD Fri 15-Nov-19 11:39:50

We're going to have to rethink, aren't we? We cannot keep on saying 'it can't be done' as the planet heats up and more and more areas become uninhabitable because of lack of water or too much water.

If communities have changed and refocused in the past because of circumstances, they can do it again.

And it really is time we stopped looking at government financing as if it were some sort of business obliged to make a profit or 'break even'. Taxation does not fund spending. So bugger all the money that roads 'make'.... Most of the money government spends comes back to it through taxation in one way or another, anyway (unless it is squirrelled off abroad in tax havens...) State Investment stimulates the economy...

M0nica Fri 15-Nov-19 11:39:51

Davidhs There are alternative fuels; hydrogen and I have seen discussion of others such as formic acid and water.

MaizieD Fri 15-Nov-19 11:43:40

Do you know, Ug, your post at 11.15 actually makes sense!

knspol Fri 15-Nov-19 11:50:04

What worries me is that some people might even believe the promises and vote accordingly. Would not trust any of them nowadays.

Jan66 Fri 15-Nov-19 11:51:31

@Davidhs - how do you know that Labours promises aren't going to happen? Got a crystal ball have you? Give them a chance to actually show what they can do instead of dismissing it. If anyone is wondering where the money is coming from then you will need to read their manifesto (which will be fully costed). Crikey - take a long look at what we have had for the last 9 years (austerity was a political choice - not a necessity) and think about what is already happening to OUR NHS.