Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian interference in UK elections

(26 Posts)
varian Sat 16-Nov-19 11:26:58

Marina Litvinenko, whose husband was murdered in London by Russian agents is taking legal action to force the government to release the report on Russian interference in UK politics, including the fraudulent referendum of 2016

www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/russian-meddling-report-dissidents-widow-goes-to-law

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 12:20:32

Boris Johnson falsely claims there is 'no evidence' of Russian interference in UK politics

Prime minister facing criticism for failure to publish parliamentary report on Russia

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-russia-report-interference-brexit-general-election-a9204051.html

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 12:25:33

Chairman of the Intelligence and Security Select Committee, Dominic Grieve said, in relation to this report, which has been completly cleared by the security services and should have been released two weeks ago: -

"I think it would be very informative and helpful to the public that this should come out before an election, knowing that there has been a lot of public disquiet expressed about such risks related to elections."

The government refused to publish the report saying there is not enough time to publish it ahead of parliament dissolving, but Grieve was quick to criticise those claims.

"It's clearly germane to a general election and that's one of the reasons we wanted to get it out. That's why I've been so disappointed and horrified about the government's response," Grieve said.

"The only reason they've given is an entirely incredible one. They've said not that they don't want to publish this because there is an overarching national security reason for not doing so.

"Instead they've come back and said they haven't had anywhere near enough time to consider this and it has to go through a very complex process to ensure it is ready for publication. But this complex process has already happened."

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/grieve-says-government-s-refusal-to-publish-russia-report-is-bogus-1-6359495

spabbygirl Sat 16-Nov-19 12:27:47

Tories have a lot to hide, obviously

Amagran Sat 16-Nov-19 14:21:03

The failure to publish this report is a disgrace which is lowering BJ's standing even further (if that is possible) on the international stage. People here don't seem to care.

I wonder just what they are trying to hide. If the report showed no Russian interference in UK elections, you would think that BJ would want to boast about it and release the report ahead of the election.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:27:56

This is really worth s listen, and to my mind is as serious as it gets.

t.co/j2O3B2l8Uh

Amagran Sat 16-Nov-19 16:11:25

This is really serious stuff.

Either BJ has colluded in Russian electoral interference or he has knowingly turned a blind eye to it in pursuit of his own political ambition.

Either way, he cannot be allowed to continue as PM.

MaizieD Sat 16-Nov-19 17:45:22

Of course, the tory party is very generously funded by Russian money...

varian Sat 16-Nov-19 17:45:23

So why are the media playing this down or not mentioning it at all?

MaizieD Sat 16-Nov-19 17:51:35

Why do you think, varian? I expect the Independent, the Guardian/Observer and the Mirror will have something to say but it's not in the interests of the rightwing media.

No doubt there will be a poster or two along on this thread to tell us it's all conspiracy theory nonsense... (I'd place bets on which ones, but it wouldn't be proper on GNet wink)

Amagran Sat 16-Nov-19 18:12:17

Quite so, MaizieD. I would love to believe that it is all conspiracy nonsense, but I would be a fool to believe it. Burying my head in the sand will not make it any less real.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-Nov-19 12:22:07

Very gradually the evidence is adding up.

Carole Cadwalladr
@carolecadwalla
·
BREAKING: Boris Johnson flew to Italy without his security detail & met ex-kGB agent 2 days after NATO summit to discuss Russia sanctions. New story from me &
@TownsendMark

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:40:29

More evidence

Peter Jukes
@peterjukes

Think about this

1. Foreign Secretary loses his security detail
2. Meets former secret agent of a now hostile power which has invaded a European nation
3. Parties hard and is seen hung over and incoherent in Perugia airport

This is Profumo on hyperdrive. This man is now PM

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:44:27

Here

www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/17/boris-johnson-met-alexander-lebedev-without-security-after-nato-summit

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-Nov-19 14:20:01

May was aware of the issues

Boris Johnson was blocked from accessing state secrets as foreign secretary because Downing Street believed he was a security risk"

varian Sun 17-Nov-19 16:08:02

Why on earth did Theresa May ever appoint him as Foreign Secretary when he was known to be a security risks (as well as being the most gaffe prone undiplomatic representative in the history of diplomacy)?????

MaizieD Sun 17-Nov-19 16:10:18

Do you think it might have been to stuff up his chance of ever becoming leader of the tories when it was made clear what an incompetent, lazy, racist fool he is?

Didn't work, though... sad

Urmstongran Sun 17-Nov-19 16:30:34

Reds still under those beds?

Surely the likes of Theresa May and the civil service, expressing concern (even now) would have M15 or is it 6 onto it all?

Or am I being naive?

MaizieD Sun 17-Nov-19 16:44:06

You are being naive, Ug.

Or, your irrational desire for Brexit blinds you to all dangers facing the UK

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:46:33

Senior Whitehall source: “Downing Street are concerned that if this emerges it would raise questions about the validity of the referendum result, which is the central issue in the general election campaign & could compromise the Tories pitch to the electorate to get Brexit done.”

Urmstongran Sun 17-Nov-19 16:51:41

Oh well, Revoke. Peace all round for Xmas and carry on how we were.

But what about the Ruskies then?

MaizieD Sun 17-Nov-19 17:06:39

If we Revoke the Ruskies would be very upset at wasting all that money; so would Donald Trump, who has wringing the UK dry in his sights.

Win, win, I say...

jura2 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:07:27

naïve - for sure and some more on top.

varian Tue 19-Nov-19 15:23:55

A leaked document examining the impact of Russian interference on UK elections suggests the 2016 referendum into leaving the EU was impacted by foreign agents.

Boris Johnson's government had repeatedly refused to release the report, claiming there was not enough time to publish it ahead of the election.

However, a copy of the report published by The Times concludes Russian interference may have affected the 2016 referendum, although the impact is 'unquantifiable'.

The Times has not said how they got the information, though concerns have now been raised about the security of next month's election.

Parliament's intelligence committee, chaired by Dominic Grieve, said British intelligence services failed to devote enough resources to counter the threat and highlighted the impact of articles posted by Russian new sites that were widely disseminated on social media, according to The Times.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/leaked-russia-report-interference-may-have-affected-brexit-referendum-result-1-6380726

varian Mon 25-Nov-19 11:45:12

Former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into the 2016 U.S. presidential election found that Russia interfered in the vote in a “sweeping and systemic” fashion. While President Donald Trump dismissed the findings, the U.S. investigation put Russia at the center of worries about the integrity of elections worldwide.

The House of Commons Intelligence and Security Committee began its investigation following allegations of Russian interference in both the 2016 U.S. election and the Brexit referendum earlier that year.

The committee sent its report to Johnson for review on Oct. 17, saying it expected to “publish the report imminently.”

Committee Chairman Dominic Grieve has criticized Johnson’s government for failing to release the document amid media reports it has already been cleared by British security services.

time.com/5731226/report-russian-interference-brexit-uk-elections/