Gransnet forums

News & politics

Considering voting SNP?

(41 Posts)
Granny23 Mon 18-Nov-19 08:36:28

I thought that the 3rd biggest Party in the UK should also have its own thread. Of course died in the wool Tories will be voting Tory whilst perhaps holding their nose re Boris. Similarly, Liberals in traditional Liberal seats will see this as their best chance since the coalition debacle.

But if you live in a seat where the contest is between the SNP and Conservative with the other parties also rans where do you place your cross? The question is particularly relevant to former Labour supporters and Greens. Do you stick to your usual vote or knowing that your party has no chance of winning the seat, lend your vote to the SNP, so that in the predicted hung parliament there is a strong voice for Scotland?

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Nov-19 08:41:49

At least that’s one decision I don’t have to make.

Parsley3 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:19:41

I live in just such a constituency, Granny. I really dislike the sitting Tory MP and don’t want him to represent me again so I will not be voting Conservative. Apart from that, I am sickened by the comments and behaviour of BJ and JR-M. I don’t know who all the candidates are yet but I will probably vote SNP unless there is a Monster Raving Loony standing and then I will vote for them. It is not even the best of a bad lot as I don’t want some of the things that the other parties are offering but I can’t bring myself not to vote. If I don’t vote then hell mend me if I don’t like the outcome of the election and I did nothing to prevent it. These are interesting times.

Fiachna50 Mon 18-Nov-19 09:36:25

I have a useless SNP MP who cannot even answer her emails and we lost a very good Labour MP for this lady. No, I won't be voting SNP.

SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 09:52:41

I won’t vote for the SNP for a number of reasons. The SNP only received 3.04% of the vote but got 35 seats - this compares to the Lib Dem’s 7.36% and 12 seats. Something is very wrong with the voting system in this country.

Granny23 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:05:13

youtu.be/3ztY0i4dtuI

Obviously this is not for those who can't stand Nicola Sturgeon, but shared for those who would have liked to see her given equal air time with the other party leaders

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 10:22:23

Where’s paddyann when you need her?

SirChenjin Fri 22-Nov-19 10:28:21

I can’t stand NS Granny but that doesn’t stop me wanting her to have equal airtime. If the incumbent idiot wins a majority then independence will be a real possibility (probability?) and we should hear what she has to say for herself.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 10:47:02

SirChenjin Mon 18 Nov 09:52:41

Yes, I agree.

We hear so much about Scotland on here, in the media; they seem to have so much airtime which is disproportionate to the population.

Lib Dems should have twice as many MPs as the SNP.

NS seems to have more than equal air time - in fact as she is never off our screens.
Should the First Minister of Wales have equal airtime too?
I can't remember the last time I saw him on national TV.

Yehbutnobut Fri 22-Nov-19 10:51:02

I like the way NS actually answers the questions put to her rather than bypass them and waffle onto their own agenda like most

Tooting29 Sun 24-Nov-19 09:46:56

The thing I don't understand is that SNP want to be independent and decide their own future but still want to be in the EU.

Jane10 Sun 24-Nov-19 10:14:03

SNP are a mass of contradictions and inefficiencies. They don't add up. They don't govern well and they've had more than a decade to do it. Don't get me started!
I respect Granny23's position though. Her experience is clearly at considerable variance to my own.

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 10:35:04

2017 GE:

SNP: 977,568 votes = 35 seats (- 19)

Lib Dem: 2,371 762 = 12 seats (+ 3)

Hardly a fair system is it.

SNP have far more airtime per voter than other parties.

crystaltipps Sun 24-Nov-19 11:57:24

I’d vote SNP if they had candidates in England! At least NS isn’t chopping, changing and fence sitting like the lot we’ve got to choose from

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 12:07:41

So do you live in England and want to be rid of Scotland crystaltipps?

crystaltipps Sun 24-Nov-19 12:14:34

I do live in England and think Scotland should be free from little Englanders currently running their country. I’d like to be rid of them as well.

Callistemon Sun 24-Nov-19 12:16:51

So, if little Englanders no longer run the country, will you want Scotland to rejoin the Union?

SirChenjin Sun 24-Nov-19 12:33:08

At this point we have to decide whether we want many more years of Tory rule or whether we want Scottish independence.

In the words of Our Great Leader, it’s like asking if it’s preferable to be run down by a lorry or a bus.

Jane10 Sun 24-Nov-19 12:40:44

Some sort of coalition might be good as long as SNP don't run (or try to run!) Scotland. Remain in UK and remain in Europe and have a more centrist coalition running the UK for the benefit of us all.

gallusquine Sun 24-Nov-19 12:46:59

I will be voting SNP because I am happy with the way Scotland is being governed at present and I ultimately want Independence.

Fiachna50 Tue 26-Nov-19 11:25:29

I am not happy with the way Scotland is being governed and I will not be voting for a party who have only one agenda, while we have a hospital that sits, unfit for purpose costing us millions a month. Another hospital, brand new that is having serious issues with infection. The Emergency services stretched to the limit. No , I freely admit struggling with who to vote for but it will not be SNP or the Green Party, who, in Scotland are just the SNP in disguise. I do not like Patrick Harvie either, he just agrees with the SNP. No mind of his own.

moggie57 Tue 26-Nov-19 11:27:57

vote brexit party .or like me i vote ukip., or green..

SueDonim Tue 26-Nov-19 13:49:40

I'm not happy with the way Scotland is being governed. It's never been as bad as it currently is, in my experience. The NHS is appalling (the way it's run, not the staff), education has been decimated by the SNP, and local services are non-existent. As for transport & roads, don't get me started.

It might be alright if you live in the Central Belt but if you're rural like me, the SNP don't give a fig about you, except for your money.

I was at a small gathering last week, of eight of us. The talk got round to politics(!) and I was astounded to hear that one born-and-bred Glaswegian said she'd be off to England if Scotland left the union. Another person whose adult children are mostly doctors, nurses and scientists working in the NHS, said two of them will leave Scotland, (one of them for New Zealand) and another person's son-in-law will apply to go to Canada. My own dd, when she's qualified, will also choose England over an independent Scotland.

I was truly open-mouthed at these people, who I would never in a hundred years have expected to hold such opinions. I love Scotland, I have joy in my heart when I see the beautiful surroundings, and I am so sad at what it's become. sad

Wheniwasyourage Tue 26-Nov-19 14:21:47

What gallusquine said.

We got yet another communication from our totally useless Tory MP this morning saying absolutely nothing about the Tory plans, just whinging on about Nicola Sturgeon and Jeremy Corbyn, neither of whom is standing in this seat. I am fed up with all this fuss about independence at the moment. I hope it will come within my lifetime, but at the moment getting the right-wing Tories out is, to me, much more important.

SueDonim, I was recently talking to a friend who lives in England and is married to an Englishman, and when Scotland becomes independent, they will be moving here, so it works both ways!

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:36:17

They'll learn their mistake soon enough!