Gransnet forums

News & politics

I think that the problem is that Conservatives are evolutionists

(22 Posts)
MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 23:21:41

If you're going to rubbish the figures that I check before I post them on here, JenniferE I suggest that you have some good evidence that they're wrong; better evidence than the fact that you don't want to believe them...

I should have posted one of those evil things that are so much disliked by those who prefer ill informed opinion to actual facts, a link... grin

Thank you for your support, grannyactivist

grannyactivist Mon 18-Nov-19 23:00:09

Oops, sorry for the typo, should read, 'is taken from', not taking.

grannyactivist Mon 18-Nov-19 22:59:17

JenniferEccles I suspect the figure that MaizieD is quoting is taking from the independent fact check site, FullFact, which does in fact confirm that in 2017/18: 'An estimated 14.3 million people are in poverty in the UK'. In fact the current figure is projected to be higher as the gap between rich and poor has widened in the last year, with poor people becoming poorer.

JenniferEccles Mon 18-Nov-19 22:32:20

14 million people in poverty.

What utter rot MaizieD

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 22:28:13

Agree pinkquartz! Maybe ladymuck can give some good reasons for her views - not that I'll hold my breath.

pinkquartz Mon 18-Nov-19 21:49:41

so ladymuck

you are not bothered about the sick and disabled then?
Because I am not the fittest I now deserve to die?
And the elderly?
etc etc
What a mean attitude.
One o f the best things about this country has been the welfare State giving life and dignity to people who have fallen down in life.

You seem to disagree.

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 21:44:42

Watching Panorama atm re war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan- and how our lovely government closed down investigations. It makes me ashamed to be British.

SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 21:24:54

Ooh - tricky one varian.

He and BJ do seem to share the same memory lapses when it comes to remembering who they’ve slept with and who they’ve done dodgy business deals with, but I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.

varian Mon 18-Nov-19 19:15:59

I wonder which party Prince Andrew might support?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:39:10

Let's face it, we have had belief in the master race before now. I can quite see those who get by taking might think it was them - until the next lot come along.

Well, let's be honest, compared to the other parties, they are the fittest to rule at the moment.

Interesting that someone using your "nome de guerre" (in your fight to be one of the fittest) would see it that way, Lady Muck. I just have this feeling of living in parallel worlds though. In mine, this party has caused chaos, poverty and the potential breakdown in civil society so I doubt anyone would suggest they are "fittest to rule" where I am.

I always thought it was the Queen who ruled in my world - passing down her power of governance to Parliament and justice to the Judiciary. Your world obviously has some differences. If it is actually the same world you are obviously prepared to give obeisance to whomsoever is in Government and just don't recognise chaos.

SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 18:25:17

Oh Hetty...don’t you know? They’re going to get Brexit done and over the line - which they would have done months ago if the democratically elected members of Parliament hadn’t stymied their attempts. That’s really all you need to know about the Tories - nothing else matters really hmm

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:14:57

I really don't understand why so many people vote for them. They only benefit big business and the very rich, after all. What exactly have they achieved recently? What can they proudly crow about in the run up to the election? Anyone?

Septimia Mon 18-Nov-19 18:08:22

I agree, Maizie, about not making it worse.

And I consider all politicians to be in it for themselves.

I don't trust any of them and at the moment they're all building bigger and bigger fantasy policies in the hope that some of us will actually believe them.

MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 18:01:05

There may 'always be inequality', Septimia but there are parties which attempt to do something about it, not make it worse...

MaizieD Mon 18-Nov-19 17:59:05

After 9 years of tory rule:

NHS in crisis
14 million people in poverty
4 million of which are in extreme poverty
Education cut to the bone
Police cuts

To name but a few.

Tories fittest to rule? hmm

ayse Mon 18-Nov-19 17:56:30

Self-serving and dishonest. In it for self first. I’m talking about our current leading conservatives!

Septimia Mon 18-Nov-19 17:52:11

There will always be inequality. There always has been - sometimes worse than now. Even communism doesn't make everyone equal.

Having said that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with narrowing the gaps as much as possible.

mcem Mon 18-Nov-19 17:15:49

Delusional evolutionists supported by the gullible and the grasping!

WishIwasyounger Mon 18-Nov-19 16:58:33

So ladymuck you're happy with growing inequality are you, or do you want to do something about it?

SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 16:54:34

‘Honest‘ and ‘Conservatives’ are 2 words that don’t belong together.

ladymuck Mon 18-Nov-19 16:49:45

Well, let's be honest, compared to the other parties, they are the fittest to rule at the moment.

boat Mon 18-Nov-19 16:14:26

They believe in survival of the fittest and think that means them.