Gransnet forums

News & politics

Have we got our priorities right.

(25 Posts)
MarthaBeck Tue 19-Nov-19 09:50:20

Experts tell us that if we vote for Brexit it could taken anything from 7 to 15 yrs to implement & get it right. The New trade agreements, identifying new export markets to replace the EU exports, negotiations needed all will take years & we shall still be arguing.
Funding and time factors are been hidden from the electorate, why?

I was shocked to read about the £billions that Brexit would cost to implement. Money desperately needed to tackle the deprivation in the UK. Getting rid of child poverty, food banks, homelessness, rough sleeping, poverty, should bemthe high priorities.
I could go on about Care, NHS, education. We really do need to get real & get our priorities and morality back on track. As a nation I believe we need to prioritise decency and morality in looking after our deprived citizens, before even thinking of gambling £ billions on an unknown Brexit that will drag on for years, preventing us from tackling the real domestic issues.

Are we really so brainwashed about Brexit, that we are ignoring basic decency in our priorities? Tribal politics and political dogma is dangerously dividing the Nation, is that what we desire? As I get older I don’t want to leave behind years of neglect and deprivation for the sake of politicians dogma. Sorry, but Brexit is certainly not a priority for me. I want my once decent Caring country back.

Your views please

Gonegirl Tue 19-Nov-19 09:59:11

Well, there is a General Election coming up.......

Gonegirl Tue 19-Nov-19 10:00:25

Perhaps the Conservatives have had long enough to sort out the food banks and the street sleepers.

Gonegirl Tue 19-Nov-19 10:01:09

And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool tory voter.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 19-Nov-19 10:16:03

Pity to let the NHS go even further down the pan and child poverty to rise even more.

Brexiters seem to be willing to trash everything that was good about this country.

trisher Tue 19-Nov-19 10:23:00

Well MarthaBeck if I were a conspiracy theorist I might consider that the reason the true costs haven't been mentioned is because some people stand to make a massive amount of money by causing the economy to crash and the pound to tumble. They tend to not be affected by things like the NHS crumbling, the homeless and food banks. But I have no doubt some Brexiteer will come on and explain how well informed they always have been.

WadesNan Tue 19-Nov-19 10:28:47

As no country has ever left the EU before I can't see how there can be "experts" on the subject.

I understand there are financial experts but in most cases their forecasts are just educated guesses. Many of those financial experts supported Neil Woodford - look how that worked out.

MrsJamJam Tue 19-Nov-19 10:39:37

I feel despair that so many seem to believe that Brexit can just be 'done no mention is ever made about the length of time it will take to negotiate new agreements worldwide. Just seems a cynical way to stop us looking at all the domestic things which desperately need dealing with ... and don't get me started on all these ridiculous promises of masses of money. All nonsense.

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 10:45:03

The powers that engineered Brexit want to cast our lot with Trumpland. These men see their advantage lies with right wing USA.

Its worrying that the extreme right who support Brexit are gaining power elsewhere in Europe.

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 11:11:42

As far as I am concerned the overarchingly important issue in this election is climate change. If we do not get that sorted the rest is entirely academic.

Alexa Tue 19-Nov-19 11:24:57

Monica, I agree! Is it true public opinion is now much as you say?

Greta Tue 19-Nov-19 11:30:11

WadesNan: I understand there are financial experts but in most cases their forecasts are just educated guesses.

...in most cases... Really?

Were the forecasts during the referendum made by Vote Leave ( leaving the EU would be a piece of cake etc) just wishful thinking?

Culag Tue 19-Nov-19 11:32:30

I agree M0nica. There are so many people who still don't believe it is really happening.

It's imperative to forget Brexit and little Britain and get on with thinking about the whole planet.

quizqueen Tue 19-Nov-19 12:03:14

Where does all this deprivation, poverty, homeless etc. come from, which you speak about? Could it be due to the fact that there too many people in this country, many of whom never try to help themselves much , and, indeed, too many humans on the planet, in general, and all of them chasing a finite pot of money. If you've had more than two children you've most definitely contributed to the problem.

Perhaps if you'd all like to donate 50% of all your income and wealth to these 'worthy' poor people, that would go some way to solving some of the problems. Oh, and give up your place on the NHS waiting list too so that someone you deem 'poor 'can jump in front of you.

The UK pays more than £55,000,000 A DAY into the EU coffers as well as giving £25,000,000 A DAY in Foreign Aid . All this would most definitely increase should Brexit not happen. The rebate is also due to disappear. Time to cut out the middle man and spend the money on all these services you want to see happening to help the deprived, the poor, the homeless.

BTW, the UK is not the first country (sorry, I mean member state- none of us are worthy enough to be called countries by the EU) to leave the EU. Little old Greenland (actually a territory, rather than a country) left in 1985 and other countries like Iceland and Switzerland withdrew their membership applications when they could see what controlling bastards the EU were turning out to be. Lucky them, I say. Their economies are thriving now.

I'm not going to pretend the road ahead won't be rocky after Brexit in the next few years. I'm approaching 70 so I don't expect to see any benefits before I die but the UK has become too dependent on being told what to do and how to behave and how they should spend their money by someone else for over 45 years. It's time to gain our freedom again from foreign control.

humptydumpty Tue 19-Nov-19 12:17:08

This may come as news to you quizqueen, but the EU doesn't tell us what to do or how we should spend our money - it's a democratic organisation!

trisher Tue 19-Nov-19 12:38:24

Ah but humptydumpty there is good democracy and bad democracy as far as Brexiteers are concerned. Good democracy is when a small majority of UK voters can instill their views on anyone else. Bad democracy is when the EU vote for anything.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 19-Nov-19 13:05:04

That was quite a post quizequeen

Pity all the figures are wrong as well as a lot of the content

Grammaretto Tue 19-Nov-19 15:02:19

Ha Ha Quizqueen I do hope you are right!!! grin
You should be very careful what you wish for as you are extremely likely to get it.

It's always them and us, always someone else's fault. Please can we begin to take some responsibility for the mess.
It has never been Europe and us. We are Europe and have helped to make the rules and to take the benefits.

And why would we want to swap trading with our neighbours for trading with the Pacific Islands, Lebanon, Tunisia, South Korea and all those countries we now have a trading agreement with.

I agree with MOnica. If we don't address the real problem of Climate Change there won't be any future.

Use your vote carefully.

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 15:53:39

On a miserable day with neither gas nor electricity because both are being worked on (actually the power is back) it is nice to have a good giggle, Thank you quizqueen

varian Tue 19-Nov-19 20:22:36

Sorry you have no gas or electricity Monica but unlike some I do not blame that on our continuing membership of the EU.

I hope that normal service is resumed asap.

M0nica Tue 19-Nov-19 23:34:58

Self-inflicted wounds, varian, boiler being moved and main gas and electricity supply being relocated from being draped round a single storey extension under the eaves to going through the loft, which means they both nowcomply with modern standards.

Alexa Wed 20-Nov-19 10:14:53

Monica, I guess your temporary domestic discomfort gives you the insight into how climate change can impact us all.smile

Dinahmo Wed 20-Nov-19 10:27:37

Quizqueen There are some of us who are child free so if someone has 4 children, 2 of those will be replacing me and my OH. Anyway, those children will grow up and many will become carers, nurses, cleaners etc that will be required to look after many of us in our old age or ill health.

M0nica Wed 20-Nov-19 14:09:35

Dinahmo Except that we are too cold and not too hot.

It is simply that we are planning a kitchen extension that will require the current re-organisation of our gas and electric supply, so DH decided we would just get on with that while sorting out the planning process. No planning consent is required to do our current work.

Gaunt47 Wed 20-Nov-19 14:19:26

Quizqueen, well you are the brave one! And the remarks that follow are entirely predictable so I guess you must have expected those reactions going out on a limb in that way.