Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ghislaine Maxwell

(30 Posts)
MawB Thu 21-Nov-19 09:30:43

I have said elsewhere that I dislike that picture of PA and VR with Maxwell smirking in the background.
Surely it is time her part in all of this was investigated?
Effectively Epstein’s “Madam” her role cannot have been legal especially given the age of the girls she procured for him?
Many many years ago I catered a party for Carl Davis and Jean Boht who lived next door to Cynthia Payne’s “establishment” in Streatham. Remember the bishops, cabinet ministers, the luncheon vouchers? She was apparently the nicest neighbour you could have and there was never any noise or disturbance for the leafy suburban street.
But Cynthia Payne served her time in prison.
No wonder Maxwell has gone to ground.

merlotgran Thu 21-Nov-19 09:44:46

It's only since the PA interview that I realised her name is pronounced Gurlaine and not Jizlaine.

As I posted on another thread....Maybe Lord Lucan has a new live in carer?

MawB Thu 21-Nov-19 09:59:12

Funny that merlot
I had a French friend, a former teaching colleague, sadly dead now, who very definitely pronounced her name “Jheez-laine” I can’t read it any other way.

Dee1012 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:06:59

MawB, I've been wondering the same!
I read somewhere about her trawling Central park looking for young girls....

TerriBull Thu 21-Nov-19 10:22:07

It seems she acted as some sort of illicit procurer of the young women/girls who were abused, very questionable "pimp" like behaviour. Surely she should also be called to account for her culpability in the whole Epstein affair.

Calendargirl Thu 21-Nov-19 11:42:43

Perhaps she’s on a yacht somewhere.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 11:57:37

If JE was murdered (as his brother thinks) because he knew to much about the rich and famous, perhaps she’s frightened and in hiding?

Just an aside. JE’s brother has inherited all his millions of dollars. (billions?)

Considering JE started off as a gardener, wouldn’t it be nice if his brother donated the biggest portion of his inheritance to a children’s charity?

That’s what I’d do with his money anyway. I’d have no joy in spending it.

Oopsminty Thu 21-Nov-19 11:58:40

I doubt we'll see her again.

She'll have gone to ground

JenniferEccles Thu 21-Nov-19 12:06:00

Andrew mentioned several times in the interview that he was friends with Ghislaine rather than her husband and as we now learn that he is withdrawing from public duties, maybe they will swan off somewhere together.

Calendargirl Thu 21-Nov-19 12:07:37

She wasn’t married to Epstein was she?

Alexa Thu 21-Nov-19 12:39:03

Isn't Ghislaine a pretty name!

EllanVannin Thu 21-Nov-19 14:14:31

I think the man was murdered too, to keep him quiet and there's no other sure-fire way of shutting someone up.

Alexa Thu 21-Nov-19 14:44:27

Me too MerlotGran (about how to p;ronounce Ghislaine).

Sussexborn Thu 21-Nov-19 15:29:26

Lots of others who will need “shutting up” in that case. There must be a lot of very influential people wondering if they will be summoned for questioning. Presumably he was supposed to be on suicide watch?

There must be a number of people involved in his murder. He presumably wouldn’t just let them do it so there would be bruising, drugs in his system etc which all had to be covered up by prison staff, police, morgue staff and pathology dept. Perhaps I’ve been watching too many CSIs!

BlueBelle Thu 21-Nov-19 15:40:38

I m afraid I have always thought he was murdered and I think many ‘suicides’ may be murders I remember a mother telling me that her son had committed suicide but she was convinced it was murder as he had been concerned for his life before he was found and there was no note or anything she was convinced he’d been killed unlawfully and it made me consider this may be more common than we ever believe

I always said Jiz Laine too

Baggs Thu 21-Nov-19 15:51:59

The h would suggest a hard G so I googled. The pronunciation given was with a hard g but also with a zeddy kind of s, and 'laine' pronounced in a French way, more like len than lane.

So that's what I'm going with should I ever need to say the name out loud. It is a lovely name.

Calendargirl Thu 21-Nov-19 15:58:09

Re the name pronunciation, in the interview Andrew seemed to pronounce it ‘Gilane’ using a hard G I thought.
Not that it matters I suppose.

NotTooOld Thu 21-Nov-19 17:04:58

I thought that, Calendargirl. PA did say 'Gilane' and it is a pretty name. Wasn't her father's yacht (the one he fell/was pushed off) called The Lady Ghislaine?

Welshwife Thu 21-Nov-19 20:54:48

Isn’t she the daughter of Robert Maxwells who owned newspapers and disappeared from a yacht also called Ghislaine? We once saw the boat moored in the harbour in Gibraltar.

oldgimmer1 Thu 21-Nov-19 21:08:52

All the Maxwells were well dodgy. Maybe Ghislaine (pronounced Gillen, I think) has suffered the same fate as her dodgy father.

merlotgran Thu 21-Nov-19 21:11:56

Yes. Maxwell's yacht was called The Lady Ghislaine. Some Lady. grin

They were a pretty unsavoury bunch. When things were going belly up for the family after Maxwell's suicide, the wife of the eldest son threw open her bedroom window early one morning and told the group of people outside, who she thought was the press, to 'F**k Off or I'll call the police.'

The reply was, 'Madam, we ARE the police!' grin

NotTooOld Fri 22-Nov-19 17:58:01

merlotgran grin

Chestnut Fri 22-Nov-19 18:05:34

An aristocratic young lady who knew her said in an interview she has completely disappeared and she doesn't think we will ever see her again. The other possibility is that she may have been murdered? Unless she (or a body) are found we may never know the answer.

merlotgran Fri 22-Nov-19 18:13:11

So she's got nothing to hide then? grin

MawB Fri 22-Nov-19 18:24:34

She took part a charity car rally a few months ago.
No, I think she is just lying low.