Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change how important is it for you in this election

(83 Posts)
cangran Sun 01-Dec-19 14:51:51

Although in a fairer voting system I would definitely support the Green Party, I will vote Labour as the most likely of the mainstream parties to address this crisis which should be top priority. In a leaflet from our local Tory candidate giving the six most important issues he would address, the climate emergency doesn’t even get a mention (but reducing parking charges does. Go figure!).

Grany Sun 01-Dec-19 14:38:43

Labour The Green Industrial Revolution

ananimous Sun 01-Dec-19 14:17:42

Offsetting your carbon footprint is ridiculous logic for a start. Climate change is a taxation ruse for ignorant people, who ought to take a science class or two, and nothing more. Chicken licken mentality - a case of the unscrupulous/blind leading the blind. Questions: How many false nails end up in landfill every year? Why focus solely on plastic bags, which at least are useful and re-usable? Some people will pop their xmas lights on, whilst murmuring anxiously about the 'climate battle' (Yes - it's now moved on from a 'climate emergency'. Lol!) Don't worry, were due to buy up all the trees they've been growing for 5 years - aparently they weren't converting carbon dioxide for the first 5 years of growth - God help us from dumb logic!

GracesGranMK3 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:54:27

I don't think there has been a great deal in the media about climate change since the start of the election sadly.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:49:03

Greens.

This is an existential threat, many of whom are already losing their lives, habitat and experiencing environmental erosion.

Species loss is happening at a rate never before experienced in the world.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:37:13

I think a lot of us in the UK are doing “our bit”.

You have to look at other Countries to see that they are not doing enough or anything (Russia, China, USA and Brazil are just a few ).

I do not want any party to evoke “knee-jerk” policies, we need a cross party think tank/committee, to look into a
sensible and practical solution for the UK, but unless every country and human on the planet are going to do the same I cannot see the situation improving.

Our Planet has coped with many changes over millions of years, let’s hope it will cope with this one?

crystaltipps Wed 27-Nov-19 07:13:33

I think most/people are interested in short term policies which they see as benefiting themselves - wealthy people howling about paying more tax to help pay for decent public services for example. I bet climate change isn’t on most people’s agenda or they are in the “we are already recycling our newspapers so don’t need to do any more” mindset.

Tooting29 Wed 27-Nov-19 06:55:16

There has been much in the media this week about climate change and the environment. Which party do you trust on this and how much will it influence your vote