Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andrew Neil’s interview with Johnson

(173 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:51:00

These are some of the subjects we can expect to be brought up

Wolfie.
I await Mr Neil's interview with Johnson with interest.

1. Jennifer Arcuri
2. Russian interference report suppression
3. Rampant Tory Islamaphobia
4. Johnson a serial liar
5. Johnson a homophobic
6. Tory austerity deaths
7. Tory dirty election stunts

And much, much more.

M0nica Wed 27-Nov-19 13:43:43

But whitewave, I -am- politically aligned and have never hidden that. I have been a member of the Liberal, now Liberal Democrat party for over 50 years.

But I try to be open minded and at each election I try to stand back and evaluate all parties manifestos before making my final decision and there are several elections where I have been very close to voting for both the main parties. There are times when I have been utterly disillusioned by the policies and direction of the party I belong to.

But I am capable of seeing that even the party I support has deep flaws - and I still think so. I fail to see that capacity to see problems and admit them and discuss them in any political thread on GN among any of the political posters.

I find it deeply significant that you so fail to understand what I kind of discussions I would like to see. I have never recommended Sitting on the fence. What I have asked for is open minded and curious discussions about policies, how each party sees them being reached and seeking an understanding of the philosophy that underlines each parties policies. and being capable of admitting that their own party has no monopoly on the best way to achieve any particular target.

All we are getting on GN at the moment is apparatchiks parroting the same old same old without thought or any interest in exploring how other people think or having any respect or interest on other views than their own.

I can read the policies of both parties, but then I look to the people who will be implementing them and if the party zealots present on GN are anything to go by, neither of them could run a tea party in vicarage.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 14:16:07

monica this isn’t the first post you’ve made that is both sneering and unpleasant in tone suggesting that your superior capability finds the posts you read as frustrating and lacking in philosophical debate.

I have invited you to start such a thread but you appear to have declined to do so.

What am I to make if that?

These type of forums are not the platform for such debate because members have not necessarily read either politics, philosophy, economics etc.

Occasionally there is a little burst of good debate but in order for everyone to take part it can never be in depth.

Try it see what result you get.

My expertise at degree level is in philosophy, economics and social science, which of course includes political debate.

I’m game go ahead.

But do try not to take such a superior attitude, some folk like to take part but their knowledge may take them in different directions, like literature or art or engineering or science .
I suggest you try having a debate on microbiology and see where that gets you.

M0nica Wed 27-Nov-19 14:34:49

I am not suggesting any superior powers, on the contrary I am seeking guidance. I would be very interested in discussions where people are happy to be open and admit that every party has good and bad points, including the one they support and the one they oppose and there is absolutely no point in starting a thread because within three posts it will have been taken over by the single-minded saying the same old same old.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 14:45:51

My guidance would be that you are on the wrong forum. You need to seek a forum on political philosophy, although as you are no doubt aware discussion of politics at such a micro- level does not often happen. Those sort of discussions will centre on overall philosophical influences at a more macro- level, which will make it clear that traces of these influences to a greater or lesser degree can be found contained within most western political parties.

Dinahmo Wed 27-Nov-19 14:52:07

Monica

Everybody is aware (if they are honest) that the party they support has flaws. Perhaps if you read the threads in greater depth you would see that many Labour supporters are not necessarily Corbyn supporters. They have often been critical.

Much of what you refer to as " same old same old " needs repeating because we are trying to counter the lies put out by the Tories and/or Leave campaign.

Witness the Tory claim that they will build 40 new hospitals whereas it's 6 that are underway. As Gove admitted the other day there are plans for 40. What does that mean? That they've spent a fortune in architects' fees to design new hospitals? Those feasibility studies etc will cost a lot more than the Boris Bridge. Or are they just stating that they are going to build 40 new hospitals and expect us to believe it?

Alexa Wed 27-Nov-19 14:56:01

Monica, I'd really like to read a balanced and lucid polemic from a right wing Conservative who does not depend on short term or populist reactions to economic or social problems.

M0nica Wed 27-Nov-19 14:57:19

I give up whitewave you clearly have no comprehension about what I would like to see.

BUT.

I will try one more time. Why cannot adherents of all three political parties have an open and honest discussion about the policies of their separate parties and talk about the pro and cons of each party's policy and be prepared to except that there party is not perfect and that some policies are not as good as others and may have unforeseen consequences that they hadn't thought about.

I am not remotely interested in the discussions you talk about in your last post. In fact I do not even understand what it is talking about.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:05:39

Oh is that all! I thought you were asking for something quite different.

I’m sure that can be arranged. Start it. That’s all you have to do.

Start with the Lib Dem policies and I’ll compare examples you give with similar labour policies and perhaps a Tory can contribute with the same.

humptydumpty Wed 27-Nov-19 15:11:30

Sorry to divert from the present conversation back to the OP, but is there actually a scheduled interview with BJ?

From BBC News Team twitter:

For those asking when Boris Johnson's interview will take place, we're in ongoing discussions with his team but we haven't yet been able to fix a date

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:15:05

Oh blimey hump I think everyone including me assumed incorrectly that it was a done deal

GracesGranMK3 Wed 27-Nov-19 15:47:15

Ignoring the straw man argument about M0nicas inability to control her own actions, I have to say I found last night's interview appalling. I have also found both yesterday's and today's Politics Live appalling. The constant interruptions and baiting from the journalists stopped me learning anything although no doubt it soothed the "journalists"egos.

All that will happen is that politicians will move on to the internet with friendly interviewers and we will only learn what they want us to hear. Another chink in our democracy all because the so called journalists can't keep their mouths shut and let others speak.

humptydumpty Wed 27-Nov-19 15:50:04

There are times, though, GGMk3, when I welcome interruptions - like when a politician just spouts his party line irrespective of the question asked.

jura2 Wed 27-Nov-19 16:24:45

This is absolutely appalling - I hope that the interview will happen without him- the questions asked- and a cardboard figure going 'hmm, hmm, hmmm'. I am truly fuming.

''"Extremely unfair that the other leaders have 'suffered' while Johnson clearly attempts to move his interview closer to election day," said one.

"It's obviously not going to happen," said Dean Worsley.

"So, you mean that you went head interviews with the other leaders before getting the Tory leader to agree to one?" asked Stephen Clayton.

"*There is absolutely no way Boris Johnson is going to turn up for an interview with Andrew Neil*", tweeted David Whitley.

"I have a feeling he may be washing his hair for the remainder of the election campaign," said Angela Haggerty.

MORE - Boris Johnson could be 'empty-chaired' during TV election debate''

M0nica Wed 27-Nov-19 16:28:21

I hope he is.

lemongrove Wed 27-Nov-19 16:34:59

Monica you are spot on with your posts....which is why they are giving you a hard time.wink

Wadesnan...yes ?the supporters are flooding social media with positive messages to try and drown out the car crash interview from Corbyn.

This thread is getting ahead of itself bigtime, the interview with Johnson and Swinson are next week.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 17:33:10

Odds on he is in hiding???
BBC
For those asking when Boris Johnson's interview will take place, we're in ongoing discussions with his team but we haven't yet been able to fix a date

jura2 Wed 27-Nov-19 17:35:52

so what do you think about Johnson chickening out- and the fairness of it all. I am glad you agree with Monica that he should be 'empty-chaired' during any debate or interviews he refuses.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 17:41:52

Tbh if he doesn’t appear there are two issues here.

The first is that the bbc should never have done any until they were all in the bag

Second Johnson sliding out of part of the democratic process of being answerable to the voter is serious indeed.

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 17:52:16

I am sorry (no I am not) I find these relentless samey political threads so tedious. The same people saying the same thing again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. and again and again and again and again ad infinitum.

Ad nauseum in fact

Constant repetition does not convert people to your cause, it just puts people off and the relentless 'my side is perfect and pure the other side is relentlessly evil' is equally off putting because it is so obviously untrue.

Oh, thank goodness someone has said it at last M0nica

I started reading some posts on here and thought "Oh, I've just read this thread, must be getting confused"

But no, the same quotes (not original thoughts, I note) are being posted on thread after thread.

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 17:55:16

ps I vote Lib Dem too before you make any acid comments whitewave as you did to M0nica

Our new candidate looks very good too.

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 17:56:44

My guidance would be that you are on the wrong forum
Interesting comment whitewave, since it was you who thought you were on the wrong forum and went off to find pastures new - but subsequently returned to GN.

How confusing.

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 18:01:17

Will he answer or will he woffle (yes, Woffle is a dog).

Well, Nonnie, he may well keep repeating that everything is 'oven-ready'
Like the Christmas turkey

MaizieD Wed 27-Nov-19 18:08:02

I too, would love it if MOnica were to lead a thread where ...adherents of all three political parties have an open and honest discussion about the policies of their separate parties and talk about the pro and cons of each party's policy and be prepared to except that there party is not perfect and that some policies are not as good as others and may have unforeseen consequences that they hadn't thought about.

But I'll still post the same old, same old when the 'same old, same old' is repeated by those of other 'beliefs'. (Not on Monica's thread, though...)

Like in response to vacuous comments like this:

I see the Corbyn supporters have got the WhatsApp message about the "truly horrific" interview and to "flood" the internet with positive comments hmm

jura2 Wed 27-Nov-19 18:08:49

So what do you think about Johnson chickening out of an interview with Andrew Neil. I now I am repeating this- but as none of his supporters here have replied- I am asking ... again. Thanks.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 27-Nov-19 18:21:20

humptydumpty Wed 27-Nov-19 15:50:04

True.