Gransnet forums

News & politics

Have we had Gina Miller's advice on *how to vote* yet?

(73 Posts)
gangy5 Wed 27-Nov-19 13:45:22

I'm thinking that I have probably missed this information

gangy5 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:46:15

Well, here she is !! Gransnet's own Gina Miller

Labaik Sun 01-Dec-19 18:37:36

Even if Jeremy Corbyn does 'fall' he will still remain an MP who was almost always on the right side of history. And I'm saying that as someone that has never been keen on him and has left the Labour Party.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:27:53

VOTE TACTICALLY ON THE 12TH DECEMBER
@TheProgAlliance
·
4h
SEATS WHERE LABOUR VOTERS NEED TO NOT VOTE LABOUR?
Cheadle?
Cheltenham?
Carshalton & W?
Isle Of Wight?
Carmarthen E?
Eastleigh?
Moray?
Gordon?
Lewes?
N Cornwall?
Stirling?
Beaconsfield??‍?(DG)
Mole Valley?
Arfon?
Brecon & R?
Brighton Pav?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:27:22

Labour voters you know what you must do to kick out Raab, vote Lib Dem in Esther!!!

Raab could be gone if Lab, who are polling in single-digits, stood aside for Lib Dems in Esher and Walton. When race is narrowed to 2 parties, per
@DeltapollUK
:

Con - 48% (+2% on all-party race)
Lib - 48% (+7%)

How is it not in Labour's interest to defeat the Foreign Sec? ?‍♂️

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 13:53:44

Am hoping it will be a case of ‘The Rise And Fall of Jeremy Corbyn’ ( I imagine that will be a book in the future.)

lemongrove Sun 01-Dec-19 13:52:11

.....but less terrifying than the rise of Corbyn ?

ananimous Sun 01-Dec-19 13:49:12

Without a big red bus to instruct me I'm floundering - I won't know what I'm voting for! confused wink

Labaik Sun 01-Dec-19 12:51:10

I agree, too. The rise of the right is terrifying.

MaizieD Sun 01-Dec-19 11:17:59

I have to agree with you there, CoolioC. Europe isn't the only place. either. Trump's USA? And, I think, a number of Asian countries.

There seems to be something deeply appealing about the 'smack of firm government' which populations seem very happy with even if they are kept poor and with few rights...

CoolioC Sun 01-Dec-19 00:43:50

Do you think Labaik that the whole of Europe looks terrifying? 5* movement in Italy. Hungary closing its doors. Spain closing down protests in Barcelona. France and it’s yellow vests? Germany and its right wing protests, all in all smell of the 1930’s?

Labaik Sat 30-Nov-19 23:49:05

...terrifying, isn't it...sad...

Labaik Sat 30-Nov-19 23:48:12

Crossed post Maizie! Wanted to paste it before I lost it....

Labaik Sat 30-Nov-19 23:47:07

On page 48 of the Conservative manifesto for the general election, “Get Brexit Done. Unleash Britain’s Potential”, there are the following seemingly fair-sounding and innocuous words:
“After Brexit we also need to look at the broader aspects of our constitution: the relationship between the government, parliament and the courts; the functioning of the Royal prerogative; the role of the House of Lords; and access to justice for ordinary people. The ability of our security services to defend us against terrorism and organised crime is critical. We will update the Human Rights Act and administrative law to ensure that there is a proper balance between the rights of individuals, our vital national security and effective government.”

Do you know what? I think they’re going to scrap the remaining practical rights and prerogatives of the House of Commons in an act of spite. It will be all the better to allow a government with the support of about 40 per cent of the electorate, and, say, the positive support of a quarter of the adult citizens of the country to do what the hell it wants for five years without pause or interruption. Landslide or not, they will be able to behave as if they have untrammelled power.

It’s no secret that Boris Johnson and his allies deeply resented the speakership of John Bercow, and the democratic reforms he made to parliament that made it once again able to exercise its role as the seat of sovereignty in our constitution. The rules of the Commons, albeit some archaic, were used to frustrate, as Johnson would see it, Brexit, though in reality they were only aimed at permitting the Commons to have its own final say on a Brexit deal, and rule out no deal, and nothing more than that.

There were manoeuvres, using emergency debates (Standing Order 24 of the House of Commons’ rulebook), the ancient right to send a Humble Address to the Queen, taking control of the order paper (parliamentary agenda), and urgent questions. All were exercised by the Commons taking back control over the order of business of the house and making ministers accountable for their actions.
It would have been more difficult for the backbenchers concerned, dedicated parliamentarians such as Dominic Grieve, Hilary Benn and Oliver Letwin, to have done so without the support of Speaker Bercow. But Bercow was acting purely in the interests of the Commons itself – he was partisan in favour of the institution, which it was his job to defend and champion.

Well, the Johnson administration station, if elected, is going to stop all that malarkey. They will also – it is more or less explicit – interfere in the judiciary and restrict the powers of the Supreme Court to rule on issues such as the prorogation of parliament. There has been talk – not in this manifesto admittedly – of making the judges politically accountable, by being ratified via hearings by parliament, in the way they are in the United States. They have not forgiven Lady Hale and her colleagues for their ruling that the suspension of parliament in the autumn was unlawful, null and void. Neither would I be surprised if they pack the Lords with new and obedient Tory peers.

MaizieD Sat 30-Nov-19 23:30:50

Extract here, Labaik. I did post it on another thread but it is being studiously ignored. Either people don't understand the implications of this or they are perfectly happy to move towards a far right dictatorship.

It seems strangely ironic that it is a member of parliament who is trying to undo all the work of some 400 years of his predecessors in establishing the sovereignty of Parliament and diminishing the power of the Crown. Including a rather nasty civil war and the deposition of a monarch.

The 'government' is not Parliament, it is the instrument through which the sovereign rules. Parliament is the whole body of MPs and Lords and it has the power to overrule the Crown. Which it fought for and won.

Labaik Sat 30-Nov-19 21:10:04

...it's on page 48 but I can't copy and paste it....

Labaik Sat 30-Nov-19 21:05:29

Well, don't worry about it. Because, if Johnson gets a large majority he's going to make sure parliament is above the law [it's in the manifesto]. Proroguing parliament wasn't possibly wrong; it was wrong.

gangy5 Sat 30-Nov-19 09:10:07

Proroguing Parliament was possibly wrong. I know that some precedents had been set but as I am not au fait with the legalities of it I would not give a firm opinion. I know that there was much surprise at the decision.

Labaik Fri 29-Nov-19 20:55:04

So are you saying that the Conservative government should have been able to prorogue parliament and that the court ruling was wrong?

gangy5 Fri 29-Nov-19 20:35:54

When starting this post I knew that it wouldn't take long for somebody to enlighten us as to where the Gina information was. This done by one of the regular contributers to Brextit posts and then no. 2 'aggro' contributer pops up commenting on bullying - she being one of the chief protagonists of such behaviour on this site.
The Liberal * so called Democrats * deserve to get their comeuppance.
Gina Miller is very fortunate to be a millionaire - more than once over I believe. This enables her court cases, unless backing is coming from somewhere else?? Thanks to her and many self serving MP's , Parliament has been impotent for 3 years with no serious business being dealt with. This will be the contribution to denting our economy, although the fans of the EU will be pinning this all on Brexit

Labaik Thu 28-Nov-19 23:23:22

Not aware that people are being 'bullied' into checking out Gina Millers site...

CoolioC Thu 28-Nov-19 22:04:34

Thanks Varian for mentioning I could be a Russian bot. I did visit Russia in 1984 during communism, what an experience but no, I am British and a woman.

annsixty Thu 28-Nov-19 21:30:27

I am so sorry that I didn't post fully yesterdayAnne Coffey did send letters asking us to vote LibDem but I live in the Hazel Grove constituency and the request was to get the current Tory member voted out.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:29:32

You seem to see bullying at every turn sussex??

Sussexborn Thu 28-Nov-19 20:54:53

Fortunately most of us are old enough and wise enough not to be brainwashed or bullied in to anything! One of the perks of ageing!

I am sure most of us will take information from a variety of sources and reach decisions that suit ourselves, our families and our communities.

GrandmaKT Thu 28-Nov-19 20:37:49

@ExperiencedNotOld
Dreadful Woman? She founded the True and Fair Campaign in 2012, calling for an end to financial misconduct in the investment and pension industries.
Dreadful Woman? In 2016 she stopped the British Government riding roughshod over our democracy by trying to implement Brexit without the consent of parliament.
Dreadful Woman? In September 2019 she successfully challenged the government's illegal prorogation of Parliament.
All I can say is thank God for dreadful women like her!