Gransnet forums

News & politics

Compare and contrast

(15 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 01-Dec-19 10:22:51

GagaJo Thank you for that list. It must have taken you hours to compile.

If anyone is still considering voting Tory after reading it they need their bumps felt (as my Mother used to say)

The closure of the Remploy factory annoyed me considerably. The Tory's policy on people with disabilities was care in the community. Remploy was a good example of that and yet they closed it.

We have an old piece of REmploy furniture and very good it is too. Well designed and made and also pleasing to look at.

GagaJo Sun 01-Dec-19 00:08:42

But I don't like Corbyn, give me one good reason why I should vote for labour?
2010-2019, in case you missed it...
1,000 sure start centres closed.
780 libraries closed.
700 football pitches closed.
Food bank use up 2,400%.
Homelessness up 1,000%.
Rough sleeping up 1,200%
Bedroom tax caused mass evictions.
Evictions are running at record highs.
35% of U.K. kids live in poverty.
Student fees up 300%.
Student debt has risen 150%.
Eradication of EMA (education maintenance allowance).
National debt has risen from £850billion to £2.25trillion.
Emergency Brexit stimulus from BoE in June 2016 of £175b.
Brexit related fall in national revenue £500b.
GDP fallen to -0.1%.
GBP fallen by circa 15% versus EUR and USD.
Manufacturing in recession.
Construction in recession.
Services close to recession.
25-30% cuts to all govt departments.
25-30% cuts to all councils, mainly centred on Labour councils.
Half of councils facing effective bankruptcy.
185k extra deaths attached to the political ideology of austerity.
25,000 less police.
20,000 less prison officers.
10,000 less border officials.
10,000 less firefighters.
10,000 less medical professionals.
25,000 less bed spaces for mental illness.
OECD calculate 3 million hidden unemployed, rate is really 13%.
Creation of 1.3m jobs, mainly temporary, self employed, gig economy and ZHC.
Only 30k full time work positions created.
Close on 50% of workers are self employed, ZHC, or part time precariat.
80% of the 5.3 million self employed live below the poverty line.
35% of self employed only earn £100 a month.
25% cuts for our disabled community.
80% cuts to Mobility allowance.
Closing Remploy.
40% of working households have practically no savings.
70% of households have less than 10k savings.
60% of households can only survive 2 months without a wage.
Household debt reaches new peak, despite emergency base rates.
Increase of 50% in hate crimes.
Increase of knife crime by 150% to 22,000 per year.
Increase in teenage suicide by 70%.
Suicide up 12% in the year 2018.
Self harm among young women up 70%.
Life expectancy down 3 years.
NHS satisfaction level at lowest recorded rate.
Council home building down 90%.
200k social homes lost since 2010.
Zero starter homes built, despite Tory flagship programme.
Council home building down 90%.
200k social homes lost since 2010.
One million families on council home waiting list.
100,000 increase on the council home waiting list since 2010.
36,000 teachers have left the profession.

humptydumpty Sat 30-Nov-19 21:03:52

Actually I think people prefer BJ because of his outgoing personality and don't think too far beyond that; they also seem to be falling for his 'lets get Brexit done' stance, disregarding all the trade negotiations that may yet end up with us crashing out with no deal this time next year sad

JenniferEccles Sat 30-Nov-19 20:40:02

I don’t agree EV.

I find it impossible to understand why you think Corbyn is more popular than Boris, and as far as leave or remain goes, the GE is about much more than that.

Boris is leading in every opinion poll not because of Brexit but because most people are horrified at the thought of Corbyn’s extreme Left Wing Marxist policies which would ruin this country.

There is a rail strike at the moment. Corbyn plans to give more power to the unions so strikes would be a fact of life again like in the 70s,

Flying Pickets anyone ? Corbyn would also allow those. No one should ignore these facts.

EllanVannin Sat 30-Nov-19 19:28:35

Corbyn's heart is in Remain and he could do a U-turn on the last minute in order to gather votes knowing that the majority are Leavers so in essence he'll get the most votes because although Boris is a Leaver, nobody likes nor trusts him and Corbyn's more popular, so I can see JC in number 10 if this happens.

People will only vote for BJ because he's a Leaver-----nothing more ! If JC had said Leaver from the start, BJ wouldn't stand a chance.

JenniferEccles Sat 30-Nov-19 19:25:45

Oh yes the Lib Dems.

I wonder how many of you know that despite evidence that it causes serious mental health issues , they want to legalise cannabis.

varian Sat 30-Nov-19 19:13:03

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has dismissed both Tory and Labour manifestos but assessed the LibDems as the best and most achievable way forward.

www.ifs.org.uk/election/2019/article/liberal-democrat-manifesto-an-initial-reaction-from-ifs

GracesGranMK3 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:54:20

... unlike Corbyn who STILL won’t tell voters if he supports leave or remain.

Are you still at the stage where you can't decide unless someone tells you what they are going to do? I bet you're great to go out for a meal with! A bit on the childish side isn't it? The only people asking don't actually want to know they just want to start another pantomime.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 30-Nov-19 17:51:28

So this is the same Chuky who has changed parties twice is it? No need to take any notice of him then.

That is really pathetic. Would you say the same about Churchill? JenniferEccles He crossed the floor twice.

Farage can't be compared to anyone. He can't even make as an MP. He's down there with the failed gunpowder plotters. I imagine he will be remembered - but not in a good way.

JenniferEccles Sat 30-Nov-19 17:30:00

Well Farage didn’t exactly change parties as distance himself from UKIP to set up his own Brexit party.

Far from being a liar he is someone who is very direct in that he actually answers reporters’ questions unlike Corbyn who STILL won’t tell voters if he supports leave or remain.

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 20:31:34

So no need to take notice of liar Farage who changed parties but did not stand down as an MEP.

JenniferEccles Thu 28-Nov-19 17:18:08

So this is the same Chuky who has changed parties twice is it?

No need to take any notice of him then.

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 16:26:15

Chuka Umunna has warned that an election win for Boris Johnson would represent a further victory for populist rightwing nationalists such as Donald Trump and Viktor Orbán, saying the prime minister’s dishonesty and prejudice made him unfit for No 10.

Umunna, who speaks on foreign affairs for the Liberal Democrats, used a speech to liken Johnson to leaders also including Vladimir Putin and Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, saying they shared “a certain type of politics – rightwing, conservative, nationalist and authoritarian”.

Speaking in Watford, a seat the Lib Dems say they can win and the venue for next week’s Nato summit, which Trump will attend, Umunna cited the US president as epitomising this new type of populist, rightwing politics.

“It is Trump perhaps more than any other who has taken this politics mainstream in the western world,” he said. “In his words and deeds he has been unafraid to engage in bigoted, racist, sexist and Islamophobic behaviour, to lie and to break the law.

“All the same criticisms apply to the UK’s prime minister, who is following the Trump playbook and has become part of this global network of rightwing, authoritarian nationalists.”

It was Trump who “gave the order” for the Conservatives to ally themselves with the Brexit party, Umunna said: “Nigel Farage obliged, and so it has come to pass, with Farage claiming yesterday [Sunday] that the 2019 Tory manifesto is a copy of Ukip’s 2015 number.”

Answering questions after the speech, the former Labour MP, who is contesting the Cities of London and Westminster seat for the Lib Dems, confirmed he believed Johnson was not fit to be prime minister, and called for more examination of his character.

“I am worried that you can say and do the things that Boris Johnson has done, and for people to simply dismiss it as a factor that is priced in, in this general election,” Umunna said.

“I am alarmed that somebody can spew out the range of prejudice that has flowed from his mouth during his time in public office, and lie, again and again and again. It should be an issue in a general election.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/chuka-umunna-attacks-boris-johnson-for-following-the-trump-playbook

GracesGranMK3 Thu 28-Nov-19 08:46:21

I never thought I would see the day when we lived under a fascist regime, but hearing the results of polling announced last night sent a chill down my spine. The 'rise to power' of these far right Tories is a copy book example of how if has been in the past. Now, in the comparisons of the manifestos, the first thing I read, in theirs, is this.

"It has also committed to ensure that judicial review – the process by which the courts examine decisions made by public bodies – “is not abused to conduct politics by another means or to create needless delays”. Any reforms would be proposed by a committee tuhe party would set up in its first year in government but would not be implemented until after Brexit. These proposals mark a change from 2015 when the Tories proposed to scrap the HRA altogether and replace it with a “British Bill of Rights”.

So, one of the first changes they will make is designed to let them stay in power and to weaken the laws surrounding that.

Before those who would sing the praises of this gluttonous party, greedy in their grasping of personal wealth start the standard personal insult throwing don't worry,you no doubt will get the spies pay for reporting your neighbour, reporting me even but I suggest you watch for changes in the laws on euthanasia. It won't be the Jews or any other particular race this time. It will be the old, the disabled and the sick. We have seen their attitude to these people already. Wealth and the ability to provide for yourself might save you for a while but I suggest you never become a cost to the state.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 28-Nov-19 08:16:08

One of our posters (*monica*) complained that there was no real in depth discussion of the various political parties platforms and the policies contained within the manifestos.

A good friend has pointed this link out to me which I think is exactly what our poster is wanting.

It particularly relates to human rights implication in the manifesto, but it is a good start.

So, over to you monica you lead as it’s your idea?

rightsinfo.org/manifestos-2019/

Open it and scroll down to the blue “infographic”