Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump’s tenuous grasp of the truth

(21 Posts)
MawB Wed 04-Dec-19 12:47:05

Just a couple today

I “don’t know Prince Andrew,” he insisted yesterday. “I don’t know him.” For the record, the president has been pictured with Prince Andrew on a number of occasions – in June this year, for example. PA also “hosted” him for I think two days on his recent state visit. Hmm, must have forgotten that.
And, to go a little further back, at a party in 2000. In the background of that particular shot, by coincidence, was one Jeffrey Epstein.”

Although determined not to comment on British politics, Trump has reiterated his support for Brexit. Not for the first time, he boasted that he’d predicted it.
“I called it the day before [the referendum],” he told reporters, with an air of fond reminiscence. “I was opening up Turnberry [his Scottish golf course] the day before – many of you were there. And they asked me whether or not Brexit would happen. I said yes, and everybody smiled, and they laughed. The next day they had the [referendum] – and I was right.”
A great story. Pity it isn’t true. In reality, Trump didn’t arrive at Turnberry until the day after the referendum.

It’s fascinating. Not only does he seem to forget things that have happened. He also seems to recall – with the most dazzling clarity – things that actually never happened at all.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:53:16

Who else do we know like that I wonder? ?

ayse Wed 04-Dec-19 12:54:05

I wish I could remember the phrase ........by the friends they keep. Can anyone enlighten me(serious question). And he is precisely why I’d rather have a monarchy. Just imagine having PM Johnson with Trump as President in Britain.

Elegran Wed 04-Dec-19 13:19:13

The nearest I can remember, ayse is The Pig and I" -

How well do I remember, it was just this past December,
I was walking down the street in manly pride
When my heart began to flutter, and I fell into the gutter,
and a pig came up and lay down by my side
As I lay there in the gutter, with my heart still in a flutter,
a lady passing by began to say
'You can tell a man who boozes, by the company he chooses'
And the pig got up, and slowly walked away.

DoraMarr Wed 04-Dec-19 13:35:29

But why would we have to have a Trumpian President? Couldn’t we have a statesmanlike, dignified person? And as for the monarchy, if Charles had fallen out of a tree at school in Australia, our heir apparent would be....Andrew.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 13:39:57

Trump's a complete clown - yet he was voted in! How convenient to have such a selective (yet faulty) memory. His life must be so easy.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Dec-19 13:41:13

Unfortunately it makes no difference whether They are president or king Apart from a birth order we could have a King Andrew Ayse

ayse Wed 04-Dec-19 15:31:34

The difference between constitutional monarchy and President is that our monarchy has no power. Heaven forbid Prime Minister and President. One is quite enough

Thank you Elegran, I think that may have been what rang a bell.

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 15:47:32

Trump and Boris...what a pair! Yuk ???

Luckylegs Wed 04-Dec-19 17:16:27

You’re only as good as the company you keep

or

Birds of a feather flock together

Any good?

M0nica Wed 04-Dec-19 17:30:38

tenous grasp of the truth? He wouldn't recognise the truth if it jumped into bed with him smoking a pipe!!

The point with Trump he really cannot see the difference between the facts as they are and as he would like them to be. It is a stage that all children go through in very early childhood but most quickly grow out of it. Trump never has. I believe that it is a recognised mental disorder.

What defeats me is that so many people can identify with him and believe him. Is it something in the water in the US?

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 17:52:21

Boris Johnson denies joking about Donald Trump at Nato reception and not taking him seriously

www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/04/general-election-tories-juggle-trump-nato-and-campaigning-live

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 18:17:13

He’s a showman. But he’s popular.

He’s brought US troops home. He’s not taken the USA into war as many feared he would at the start of his presidency. He’s put America First. Unless this impeachment sticks (I doubt it will) he will get voted in as POTUS again this time next year.

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 18:24:29

Which showman Urmstongran? - Trump or Johnson?

ayse Wed 04-Dec-19 18:28:41

Yes Luckylegs, those will do well. Btw, did anyone else spot Trump who was at the same party as PA and Epstein?

ayse Wed 04-Dec-19 18:29:46

I think I’ll tar them all with the same brush!

Urmstongran Wed 04-Dec-19 18:40:23

Trump.

Boris is sent to cheer us up! There’s enough gloom and doom these last couple of years with Theresa May, Eeyore Hammond and Dominic Grieve.

Brexit is about to happen. Austerity is officially over.

The pound soars tonight - Sterling is at a 7 month high as traders bet on an outright Conservative victory!

And the ‘Labour bible’ the New Statesman refuses to back Corbyn at the general election saying he is ‘unfit to be PM’.

Music to my ears.

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 19:20:37

Johnson will cheer up those who are programmed to believe his lies.

When I see an idiot on tv spouting "we all knows he lies. He is a rogue, but he is a loveable rogue", it is difficult not to lose my faith in democracy

Elegran Wed 04-Dec-19 19:59:59

How jolly, Urmstongran We can cheer up because a lovable rogue is here to tell us amusing lies and manipulate us into laughing all the way to the polling station, while he laughs all the way to the bank (the one in a tax haven)

Yehbutnobut Wed 04-Dec-19 22:36:35

Well Ug having nailed your colours to the Boris flagpole I hope you don’t have grandchildren going through our education system or need NHS emergency care any time soon,

And as for caring about the plight of the less fortunate...

Callistemon Wed 04-Dec-19 22:41:34

For all those who would like to have a presidential system but a non-political person as president:
Trump was not a politician, he was a businessman and TV star.