Gransnet forums

News & politics

The politics of envy

(73 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Dec-19 07:30:19

It is one of those things that the Tory voters like to chime out about the left. It always sounded a bit odd about people who are willing to share a little more and coming from those who aren't no matter what the consequences to others. Here are prime examples of the "politics of envy" and yet people laud themselves for voting for this man.

youtu.be/9att5SWXo4U

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 08:11:06

Cornflakes be blowed. It strikes me that what usually rises to the 'top' is scum. Johnson being a perfect example....

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Dec-19 08:12:54

I think you may have something there Maizie.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Dec-19 08:23:19

Couldn't watch it - I can manage about 10 seconds of this loathsome man before nausea sets in.

ayse Mon 09-Dec-19 08:30:37

Odious man! The parable of The Good Samaritan was not about money but about a non-Jew giving help whilst his own people would not!

Apart from that “the have’s” inevitably find a way of defending their greed!

Ginny42 Mon 09-Dec-19 08:31:29

I managed 0.51 of him reading from a script. Supposedly highly intelligent people should be able to speak confidently and competently without constantly referring to someone's notes.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 08:46:07

I shan’t open the link. I imagine it’ll be something spiteful about Boris!

Remainers getting desperate now as they see victory in sight for the Tory party on Thursday.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 08:56:56

Open the link, Ug, it is your hero in person.

Actually managing to sound almost coherent because he's reading his speech.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:00:00

I imagine it’ll be something spiteful about Boris!

Not UG. It's not about Boris; it's the man himself, Now why would you be afraid to look at your Great Leader?

Gonegirl Mon 09-Dec-19 09:09:48

I like the thought that the good samaritan wouldn't have been much use to the fallen-by-the-wayside man if he hadn't had enough money to help him.

Gonegirl Mon 09-Dec-19 09:11:10

Food for thought there.

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:21:25

Urmstongran, with reference to your post @08:46 today, I thought you were a Farage Brexit party loyalist, and that you had even paid the join subscription. I would never have believed that you would "chop & change" your colours inline to whichever way the wind blowing.

So, what is wrong with Farage these days, or could it be you just wish to be able to state you were on the winning side.

That is assuming of course that Johnson archives an overall majority, as anything else would be judged as a failure in very many people's eyes, and we would all rapidly witness another Tory leadership election. ?

Gaunt47 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:32:04

It can't be said often enough: we are NOT voting for party leaders. We vote for a set of beliefs that we personally can sympathise with. So look at your local candidates and make your decision.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Dec-19 09:56:29

I agree that under normal circumstances we should be voting for policies rather than the individual. However we are currently being presented with such a gross travesty of integrity and decency that the leader issue cannot but feature.

I will be voting for anyone - just anyone - in order to try and clip BJ's wings.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:06:01

We have an exceptional local MP, I shall be voting for them, cannot see why I should vote tactically and risk losing someone who is so very good for our local area.

The hard Brexit negotiations start on 31/01/20, if the Conservatives get a working majority.

If Labour get a working majority we shall be faced with months of uncertainty, I can envisage numerous court cases over nationalisation proposals, another referendum on Brexit and businesses/entrepreneurs leaving the UK.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:11:41

But there will be no honesty and integrity. It will be a travesty.

There are no politics of envy. That whiskered mantra is a lie just like so much else.

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:16:27

Good point Gonegirl.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:21:49

In fairness I thought that Labour would be ahead in the polls, but if they do not win on Thursday it must be down to the toxicity of Corbyn/McDonnell/momentum and the fact that the UK is not ready for a very left leaning Labour Government.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 10:50:46

You’re right Grandad1943 I thought we needed NF to deliver Brexit. His own hubris has created a division so I’ve switched to Boris as I feel his chances of getting Brexit over the line are stronger!

So yes, I want to be on the winning team for that reason.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Dec-19 10:51:26

I like the thought that the good samaritan wouldn't have been much use to the fallen-by-the-wayside man if he hadn't had enough money to help him. (09-Dec-19 09:09:48)

Gonegirl I don't think the bible stories were written with neo-liberal economics in mind. You haven't thought of it that way because you would have to turn the whole parable on its head to do so. The story was told when a Jewish lawyer, who knows he must follow Jewish law and "love your neighbour as yourself", asks Jesus "who is my neighbour?"

Interestingly Mrs Thatcher seems to have got hold of a very peculiar end of the stick (not unknown in her case). Jesus does not say "your neighbour is the person who is well enough off to support you". Either the Priest or the Levite, both seen as honourable by the Jewish society of that time, might well have had enough to care for the man (whom we presume to be Jewish) who was attacked and robbed.

It is the man, a Samaritan, whom the Jews would hold in as low esteem at that time as the Leavers do the Brexiteers, or Conservatives do the Labour Party currrently, who stopped and helped.

Jesus then asks the lawyer who of the three acted as the neighbour the lawyer does not reply "the one with enough money to help those in difficult circumstances" he says "The one who showed him mercy".

Mrs Thatcher and Mr Johnson have done what Tories always do. Lied in order to persuade people that the policy of greed, envy and lies that they spread is a good and useful one supported by the bible. It isn't!

Gonegirl Mon 09-Dec-19 11:56:28

GracesGranMK3 It's a long time since I took my Sunday School exams. And I never did go into the theological background to the story in that depth!

Still think the point is a good one though. smile

varian Mon 09-Dec-19 12:01:17

I am not a billionaire. If I suggest that billionaires, such as the tax dodgers who own our newspapers, should pay their taxes, is that "the politics of envy"?

humptydumpty Mon 09-Dec-19 12:17:02

Ug I feel it is very disinganuous to suggest that the only reason people don't want to vote for BJ is because they are remainers - there are so many other reasons!!

Ginny42 Mon 09-Dec-19 12:21:48

People who would normally vote Tory, but abhor liars must be in a bit of a quandary.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Dec-19 12:45:19

It's not Gonegirl. It is completely the opposite of what the parable means. YOU are doing exactly what Johnson does and making the story fit your own view of life.

There is no point in saying any more to anyone who sees the world through such selfish, lying lenses. I am certainly not going to argue with the parables of the self-serving Johnson, and Thatcher - oh so far from saintliness - is long gone.