Aung sun su chi 'finally ' at the Hague

(18 Posts)
POGS Wed 11-Dec-19 15:44:46

Gonegirl

Sorry I just noted your post.

Fair enough.

POGS Wed 11-Dec-19 15:43:44

PS

You make a fair point regarding jumping to conclusion as to the findings.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 15:38:35

Oh don't be so silly! Can't believe that stupid post!

God! Gransnet's getting on my pip today. hmm

POGS Wed 11-Dec-19 15:31:34

Gonegirl

'I think we should wait for the court's findings.'
-

May I ' politely' ask do you take issue with the stance against Aung San Suu Kyi or do you not believe there has been genocide committed in Myanmar?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 10-Dec-19 22:33:08

Lets see if she denies it ever happened, there is no reason for her to lie now.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 22:25:48

If the military had thrown her in a dungeon, what could she have done for the Rohinga Muslims then?

Tomorrow will be interesting.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 10-Dec-19 22:04:14

Yes Callistermon, you are right.

Callistemon Tue 10-Dec-19 17:49:24

Well, no Gonegirl.
Let others die and look the other way.

But to go from defender of human rights to ignoring such abuse does make her Peace Prize questionable now.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 17:28:40

I think we should wait for the court's findings.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 17:28:00

She couldn't do much good for anyone if she was dead.

Callistemon Tue 10-Dec-19 17:10:01

I have never understood her stance either. She is either duplicitous or an absolute coward intent on saving herself and not defending her people.
It makes a mockery of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Thank you, POGS, for posting this update.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 10-Dec-19 16:51:32

POGS I am so happy that you posted this thread. I visited Burma (as I still call it) not long after her release, we stayed 4 weeks and nobody had a bad word to say against her. Everyone idolised The Lady, as they called her. How she has let everyone down including herself. She could have taken a different road and done so much more for the suffering of the ordinary people rather support the terrible crimes the Rohingyas.

Blinko Tue 10-Dec-19 11:48:56

I am greatly puzzled by the stance taken by Aung San Suu Kyii regarding the treatment of the Rohingyas. It seems to go against everything she stood for in her resistance to the Generals' rule of Myanmar.

Perhaps her attendance at the court at The Hague will shed light on an otherwise incomprehensible defence of the indefensible.

Smileless2012 Tue 10-Dec-19 11:38:42

A good OP POGS thank you.

I agree with everything you have said and share in your feelings about her still being viewed as a worthy recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

She wouldn't even be considered for it now so it should be withdrawn.

POGS Tue 10-Dec-19 11:26:08

WW

Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:57:36

pogs we don’t often agree but I do in this case. When Aung san Sui Chi was under house arrest by the military, I write an assignment supporting both her father’s and her cause and came to the conclusion that unless or until there was outside intervention her position would never be resolved. How wrong I was!

It shows that you can never be sure what the future will bring,

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 10:55:45

I doubt if she was able to do anything at all about what happened to the Rohinga Muslims. But I am glad she is at the Hague. I think the Peace Prize should hang on what the judges there decide upon.

POGS Tue 10-Dec-19 10:49:46

I make no apology for another bump of one of my past threads as today is a follow up of a running story that has been coming for a long time. .

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1240554-Rohinga-Muslims-genocide

At last today Aung San Suu Kyi is at the Hague charged with Genocide in Myanmar. She did not have to go but she has 'elected to defend' her country and that cements in my mind the ' feting' of Aung San Suu Kyi was totally misplaced and she chose to defend the path of genocide over the rights of the Rohinga Muslim despite her own history and the backing the world gave to her personal plight.

Shamefully it is Gambia on behalf of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation that has raised the charge not the United Nations.

There are always side stories and apportioning blame onto others but I remain bemused/annoyed/angry that Aung San Suu Kyi still holds the Nobel Peace Prize and what was said about the reason for her award is now so misplaced :-

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 1991 to Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar (Burma) for her non-violent struggle for democracy and human rights.

... Suu Kyi's struggle is one of the most extraordinary examples of civil courage in Asia in recent decades. She has become an important symbol in the struggle against oppression ...

... In awarding the Nobel Peace Prize for 1991 to Aung San Suu Kyi, the Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to honour this woman for her unflagging efforts and to show its support for the many people throughout the world who are striving to attain democracy, human rights and ethnic conciliation by peaceful means.

— Oslo, 14 October 1991