Gransnet forums

News & politics

John Ashworth ? Whoops

(46 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 12:28:59

order-order.com/2019/12/10/ashworth-civil-service-machine-will-move-quickly-safeguard-national-security-corbyn/

Firecracker123 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:25:57

Yes Lemongrove would have loved to be a fly on the wall lol.
What John Ashworth said is probably what 75% of Labour MPs think.

Firecracker123 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:21:46

Partly wishful thinking on my part lol, but I would put money on Boris Johnson still being PM on Friday.

lemongrove Wed 11-Dec-19 17:20:38

trisher...nice try with all the ‘I think it says more about you’
Etc.
Of course Corbyn doesn’t believe Ashworth! He will have heard the whole recording now ( several times I expect) and behind the scenes he and McDonnell would have turned the air blue ( MaccaD is known for his effing and blinding.)?
It’s simply that he can’t admit it publicly that he is angry with Ashworth, so goes along with the lies that it’s all a big joke ( well, it is, but on Corbyn.)

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 17:05:42

Firecracker Labour will not be wiped out in South Wales.

Not sure about Mid and North Wales.

Firecracker123 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:51:57

This thread is about John Ashworth not Johnson and don't oh firecracker me. Corbyn and the Labour Party will be wiped out tomorrow in the North West, Midlands and Wales. Corbyn has betrayed Labour leave voters.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:43:39

Oh Firecracker- Johnson was sacked as Foreign Secretary because hiw contact with Russian oligarchs - and his attending bungy bunga parties at their Italian mansions- made him totally vulnerable to blackmail and be a massive risk to National Security. Tiny pot - massive black kettle.

Firecracker123 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:40:49

If someone tells you about a threat to national security - that they say could only be avoided by asking Civil Servants to act unconstitutionally - there’s a duty to tell people about it. Tweet by Greig Baker

Well done Greig Baker for putting the audio out there for all to hear what a threat Corbyn would be to the UK if God forbid he ever became PM. Even his own shadow cabinet think he is unfit to lead the country.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 14:08:51

Betrayal of the wives and children too, I imagine- sad.

Many have said here that people, family or friends, should not fall out over Brexit- just a difference of opinion ...

well, THAT kind of betrayal will probably (certainly) be the end of that frienship, no?

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:58:52

Thank you Annie- we agree.

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 13:43:38

They were close friends, Ashworth said they had spent holidays together. Betrayal is so wicked.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:02:19

yes maggie, fully aware he was betrayed by a so called 'friend'. But thanks for the name. Greig Baker- despicable man, despicable tactics.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Dec-19 11:54:46

jura, he was speaking privately (or so he thought) to former local Conservative Association chairman, Greig Baker, a man he thought was a personal friend.

As you say, with friends like that, who needs enemies?

Yehbutnobut Wed 11-Dec-19 11:48:48

So what? He was probably speaking the truth as he sees it. Not like the lies that just slip out from Boris’ slobbery lips every day.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 11:30:00

''jura the fact they left the party is surely evidence that they didn't pretend to agree with him!

For Mr. Ashworth to make those comments to someone he knew was a Conservative supporter shows a great lack of judgement.''

But how long did they pretend before they left- including some who are still there!

As for 'lack of judgement' - I'd tend to agree- because I would not trust any Tory now. But it shows that he was prepared to trust someone, a friend, despite him being a Tory - lack of judgement, but in a way, isn't it what so many are asking here, agree to disagree, be tolerant of others - don't fally out with friends just because they are from 'the other side' ... As said, I do believe it says more about the friend who betrayed his trust ... despicable and below the belt.

So WHO WAS THAT PERSON? Are we not allowed to know who he is?

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 11:13:09

Ashworth betrayed Corbyn, Ashworth’s friend ! betrayed him.

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 11:11:25

trisher you find what Corbyn said boring, doesn’t change the fact he said it.

As for raking things up, how long ago was Johnson at Eaton, that is brought up often.

Oldwoman70 Wed 11-Dec-19 11:09:26

jura the fact they left the party is surely evidence that they didn't pretend to agree with him!

For Mr. Ashworth to make those comments to someone he knew was a Conservative supporter shows a great lack of judgement.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 11:01:41

Oldwoman70 ''they didn't pretend to agree with him and then badmouth him behind his back.''

and how do you know this for a fact?

Ashworth said it- meant it I am quite sure. Good for Corbyn to take it in good grace on the surface at least- but irrelevant in the grand scale of things. Who was that Tory who lured him in order to tape conversation and publish? Nasty piece of work, for sure. For me, this disgusting deception seems much more relevant and important. Who was s/he?

trisher Wed 11-Dec-19 10:58:23

No body has denied anything *Annie8 just pointed out that as usual you have misrepresented what actually happened. But do stop trying to rake things up again. It's boring.

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 10:56:42

trisher it has been dealt with by denying it was said? ,he said it, fact.

Jabberwok Wed 11-Dec-19 10:55:53

How can an alliance with the SNP work? If JC were to allow Indi 2,and the result was for Independance, then bye bye Scottish support! If he refuses within a certain time limit, that support will also certainly be withdrawn! The only hope would be a positive (UK) outcome, and that cannot be guaranteed or the support following on from that! All a bit tenuous I'd have thought!!

Oldwoman70 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:35:50

jura2 Yes there are Tories who don't like or agree with Johnson and have left the party - they didn't pretend to agree with him and then badmouth him behind his back.

trisher Wed 11-Dec-19 10:24:34

Annie try moving on. That has been dealt with so many times.

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 10:20:53

trisher
‘If someone tells you they were joking and you believe them how can that be lying’

mmmmmm if someone tells you ‘I was there but I don’t know
if I was involved’ , truth or lie ?

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:15:43

Obviously his true opinion- and so what. How relevant is the opinion of this guy? TBH I am much more shocked that one of his so called friends, a Tory, would draw him into this trap in order to publish it to discredit Corbyn. The fact Corbyn took it well and refused to get angry- is all to his credit.

There are a lot more Tories who think their leader is a lying, incompetent toad ... many having left for that very reason.

A non story and was really surprised (not ...) that the BBC turned this into News numero Uno yesterday. Nonsense.

With friends like that ?!? BTW who was that very devious person?