Gransnet forums

News & politics

John Ashworth ? Whoops

(45 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 12:28:59

order-order.com/2019/12/10/ashworth-civil-service-machine-will-move-quickly-safeguard-national-security-corbyn/

Missfoodlove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:16:30

Interesting times!

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:21:44

Ooops indeed!?

GrandmaJan Tue 10-Dec-19 13:22:27

I’ve just read about this on a news website. It’s a bit concerning

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:26:07

It’s what many Labour voters are saying on the doorstep......we can’t stand Corbyn, ( and they want Brexit of course) so will vote Conservative or for the BP.
Admitting it by Ashworth though,( and the security aspect!) was a major blooper.

trisher Tue 10-Dec-19 13:29:41

What a shit friend. Wind you up on the phone,, get you to say things you think are funny, then edit it and leak it (cutting out of course all the things you said that criticised your own party). Makes you realise what Tories really are. People who will promise you anything and stab you in the back when you least expect it.As far as the National Security risk is concerned-most important words-^But it’s not going to happen! I can’t see it happening!^

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:32:52

You can’t see it happening now trisher, but who knows if he was in power?
MI5 have been warning about him for a long time.

Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 13:36:07

The friend didn’t make Ashworth say - ‘trying to get shot of Corbyn as leader in 2016 was too soon’,

Ashworth shared his thoughts and his friend betrayed him , no
friend, but nothing changes what Ashworth said.

JenniferEccles Tue 10-Dec-19 13:58:26

Jeremy Corbyn is the most unpopular Labour leader EVER.

It tells us everything we need to know when so many people in his own party urge us not to vote for him.

Ilovecheese Tue 10-Dec-19 13:59:29

Makes me grateful for the decent friends that I have, who would never record our conversations to stab me in the back.
I just hope this so called friend finds himself ostracised by decent people in his party in future.

Oldwoman70 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:06:03

Of course the "friend" let him down but one has to question the wisdom of his making these comments to someone he knew as a Conservative supporter.

Did he not think that making the comments during an election campaign was not a good idea? Or are these his true thoughts and he is now backpedaling as fast as he can

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 14:14:06

Exactly Oldwoman70 they are so obviously his true thoughts ( listening to his explanations on politics live that it was merely banter, was excruciating.)

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 14:43:00

What information did anybody find out from that recording which they didn't already know?

This has to be the dirtiest election campaign I can ever remember.

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 14:47:34

They almost certainly are his true thoughts. It's no secret that many Labour MPs don't think much of Corbyn.

It's no secret either that the Labour Party is split between the traditional northern "leave" seats and those in London and most of the cities. It's also split by voter age.

Brexit has been a problem for the Labour Party right from the start and will very possibly lead to a realignment of UK politics within the next few years.

Corbyn will resign; Brexit will happen and be a disaster for the country … then who knows?

Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 14:50:15

I didn’t know John Ashworth was one of the many Labour MP’s who want rid of Corbyn as leader

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 15:00:14

I believe he supported Yvette Cooper.

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 15:08:19

I don't know what will happen after Corbyn resigns (which he almost certainly will). I don't know how much muttering has been going on in the background, but I bet there's been loads.

The Labour Party has many talented and committed backbenchers and some, like Ashworth and Starmer, on the front bench. I dearly wish they'd sort themselves out.

Nevertheless, I hate the dirty smears and tactics. I want my country to be led by competent and fair politicians. I can guarantee it won't be while the Conservatives are in power, but the Labour Party needs to get back to grassroots and listen to its MPs, if it's going to form a government.

Jane43 Tue 10-Dec-19 15:20:27

He was on Politics Live today and trying to say it was banter, he in fact was being too clever and trying to give his friend a false sense of security so the Tories would be complacent and not try so hard in their campaigning. He didn’t convince me with his convoluted explanation I’m afraid. Luckily for him Boris Johnson also scored an own goal by not looking at the photo of the young boy sleeping on the floor in an A and E Department and bizarrely putting the journalist’s phone in his pocket. Only two more days of this nonsense thank goodness.

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 23:02:59

Now Corbyn is ? lying.....saying that Ashworth was joking and that he has an odd sense of humour!He knows full well that Ashworth was being wildly indiscreet to a Conservative activist.I expect Ashworth will be sacked if Corbyn did manage to get into power with the help of the SNP.He may even be sacked if they lose.Of course he was telling the truth about Corbyn, and the attempts to deny it are pathetic.

trisher Wed 11-Dec-19 10:10:18

lemon if someone tells you he was joking and you believe him how can it be "lying"? I suppose it depends if you believe the people you know. I think your comment about Corbyn says more about you and the people you know, and don't trust, than it does Corbyn.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:15:43

Obviously his true opinion- and so what. How relevant is the opinion of this guy? TBH I am much more shocked that one of his so called friends, a Tory, would draw him into this trap in order to publish it to discredit Corbyn. The fact Corbyn took it well and refused to get angry- is all to his credit.

There are a lot more Tories who think their leader is a lying, incompetent toad ... many having left for that very reason.

A non story and was really surprised (not ...) that the BBC turned this into News numero Uno yesterday. Nonsense.

With friends like that ?!? BTW who was that very devious person?

Anniebach Wed 11-Dec-19 10:20:53

trisher
‘If someone tells you they were joking and you believe them how can that be lying’

mmmmmm if someone tells you ‘I was there but I don’t know
if I was involved’ , truth or lie ?

trisher Wed 11-Dec-19 10:24:34

Annie try moving on. That has been dealt with so many times.

Oldwoman70 Wed 11-Dec-19 10:35:50

jura2 Yes there are Tories who don't like or agree with Johnson and have left the party - they didn't pretend to agree with him and then badmouth him behind his back.

Jabberwok Wed 11-Dec-19 10:55:53

How can an alliance with the SNP work? If JC were to allow Indi 2,and the result was for Independance, then bye bye Scottish support! If he refuses within a certain time limit, that support will also certainly be withdrawn! The only hope would be a positive (UK) outcome, and that cannot be guaranteed or the support following on from that! All a bit tenuous I'd have thought!!