Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now that is a much bigger OOOOPPPPPSSSSS I'd say ...

(27 Posts)
jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 11:55:54

So the story of Jack in Leeds rumbles on. The fake punch then the fake nurse tweets. This was tracked down to Sheree Jenner-Hepburn. She isn't from Leeds and is not a nurse, and claims her account was hacked. The facebook and twitter accounts have since been deleted. End of the story? I will leave you to judge. She is a PA to her husband who is a doctor in a Bupa hospital and her son Oliver is a "friend" on facebook with Matt Hancock the secretary of state for health. So mere coincidence and a victim of a hacker or not? This was the BBC take on newsnight last night.

Happygirl79 Wed 11-Dec-19 19:05:21

Now with social media being used by politicians to spread lies about their opposition it's perhaps time to think again about our way of voting etc
I'm sure many will not agree but I think we should treat running our country in exactly the same way as large businesses do
Select the best candidate for each post by experience and knowledge not by politics
Cat among the pigeons I know by posting this!

Urmstongran Wed 11-Dec-19 17:40:51

Great post grannyactivist
??

Violettham Wed 11-Dec-19 16:05:08

I am with you there silverlining.

grannyactivist Wed 11-Dec-19 15:46:51

My hobby is genealogy and I'm quite passionate about ensuring that I only use confirmed evidence; because of this I've become a very experienced researcher, but even I get caught out from time to time.

My point is that most people are not researchers and have been brought up to expect and believe that matters in the public domain that are repeated by politicians and 'quality' newspapers, in this case the Telegraph, have been duly researched before publication. Historically we have, in the main, been able to believe what newspapers print - there's been an understanding that our libel laws will protect the veracity of news stories. And although politicians now have a reputation for 'all' being liars the truth is that I expect the majority are a hardworking, trustworthy bunch of people who are incensed to have their integrity trashed by the few who are not. People can hardly be blamed for still being trusting when the change in political veracity has been so sudden.

News stories now are fast moving and journalists and some politicians and journalists are prepared to get into print without checking the facts first. I think when the story in question fits their agenda this is often done deliberately. (I am NOT talking here about any one newspaper or political party).

Not everybody has the time, the will or the skill to research every possibly 'dodgy' story, so websites like FullFact, FactCheck and the BBCs Reality Check have sprung up to make the task of discerning facts easier. This is why there was such dismay when the conservatives pulled their trick of dressing up their website to look like a bona fide fact checking site.

GagaJo Wed 11-Dec-19 15:13:17

DoraMarr Wed 11-Dec-19 12:09:17
jura I’m surprised anyone would think this story is boring, since it shows the lies and duplicity the Conservatives will use. I thought probity was the bedrock of the British way of political life, sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m more shocked than bored.

Exactly. But the filibustering is the same weak technique of politicians who can't get their policies through any other way.

Same with the candidates supporters on here I guess. Weak candidate, can only resort to childish, ridiculous behaviour and speech.

Shameful in the HOC and on here too. Smacks of JRM mocking the poor. Those WITH can fiddle while the country burns and not care.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Dec-19 15:07:09

We can know that it was a complete lie though that then went viral.

There’s certainly fake news everywhere - it’s just that the majority of it seems to be on the right wing side of the country. It smacks of utter desperation from them - how low are they prepared to stoop? (Answer: As low as the gutter)

lemongrove Wed 11-Dec-19 14:50:42

We can’t know if the woman’s account was hacked or not, and being a friend on FB is not a friend in RL.
There is fake news, lies and damned lies everywhere.

The friend who recorded Ashworth certainly wasn’t a friend,
But the real point is that Ashworth thinks Corbyn shouldn’t be PM and is a security risk in his view.....likely in MI5’s view as well.Plus saying that LP voters can’t stand him when doorstepped for their views.Amazing!

Sussexborn Wed 11-Dec-19 14:41:00

The worrying aspect is his bumbling and totally unnecessary lie which was then compounded by Front Bencher Angela Rayner attempting to defend him.

As a known republican no one would be shocked if he had just said he never watched it. It is unnerving to think how he would fare in negotiations with Trump, Macron etc.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:56:35

Perhaps is is the predictability of the lies feom some quarters, coming through thick and fast?

Nearly 90% of Facebook ads paid for by the Conservative Party in the first few days of December contained misleading claims, an investigation has found. First Draft – a non-profit organisation which works on debunking fake news – analysed every ad promoted by the UK’s three main political parties on the social media giant in the first four days of December. It found 88% of the Conservative’s Facebook campaigning pushed figures challenged by Full Fact, the UK’s leading fact-checking organisation. By comparison, First Draft said that it could not find any misleading claims in ads run by Labour on Facebook over the same period.

kittylester Wed 11-Dec-19 13:23:22

It's not the dishonesty and lying that is funny but the predictability of these threads.

And, we will never know what lies the other parties tell unless they are lucky enough to get in.

inkcog Wed 11-Dec-19 12:31:21

Dishonesty and lying is of course absolutely hilarious.

Baileys anyone?

silverlining48 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:25:11

I think its a shame that people find dishonesty and lying something amusing. I find it unacceptable and shocking. So thanks Jura.
It’s a nice bright morning here too.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:21:25

Probably Gonegirl, I so hope so. Not the point, and you are, I am sure, perfectly aware of it.

Some American cousins were over in November and the little girl got an ear infection and a burst eardrum. They went to St Thomas's and had fantastic treatment, and 'only' had to wait FOUR hours with a 10 year old in terrible pain. But they were impressed but how they were looked after once they got seen.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:18:39

Including silly Ahshworth being tricked and betrayed by a so called Tory friend - in such a disgusting and despicable way. Again, says more about said 'friend' and Tory dirty tactics than his naivety.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 12:18:02

It's not boring, but even little Jack is prolly probably over it now.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Dec-19 12:15:17

I don't think it's boring at all. Very unsettling, yes, and worrying. This has been a very dirty campaign.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:13:51

I'll deliver mine next week - and do the wrapping when in UK - cold and snowing- so plenty of time here, thanks.

Exactly Dora- shocked, disgusted- not surprised- and not bored, for sure.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 12:12:09

That must be nice kitty. It's a lovely sunny morning here.

kittylester Wed 11-Dec-19 12:10:32

Never mind wrapping - I've got cards to hand deliver if you've nothing else to do!

DoraMarr Wed 11-Dec-19 12:09:17

jura I’m surprised anyone would think this story is boring, since it shows the lies and duplicity the Conservatives will use. I thought probity was the bedrock of the British way of political life, sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m more shocked than bored.

ninathenana Wed 11-Dec-19 12:06:39

If your offering Gonegirl

Namsnanny Wed 11-Dec-19 12:05:45

Oopsminty Gonegirl… Biggrin.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 12:00:53

Anyone got any presents to wrap?

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 11:59:45

>>>gg echoes Minty with a great big stretch added on<<<

Oopsminty Wed 11-Dec-19 11:56:25

Yawn