Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's talk about the weather then ...

(40 Posts)
jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 14:20:30

Snowing like crazy here- yesterday was a winterwonderland.
No walk with doggie and could not be asked to go down to the valley for U3A conference.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 14:31:11

and snowing some more. Woodburner on, very cosy ...

lemongrove Wed 11-Dec-19 14:43:09

How nice and cosy? ( jura, it’s ‘can’t be arsed’)
❄️No snow here ( yet!)

sunseeker Wed 11-Dec-19 15:30:50

A researcher has said on local radio today that a woodburner is more polluting than 6 diesel cars (sorry sad ).

Gaunt47 Wed 11-Dec-19 15:36:58

Sunseeker that old saw (pun intended) has been doing the rounds for ages. Although I think it used to be just 2 cars. smile There's something about the glow of a log fire during a cold wet winter......

Septimia Wed 11-Dec-19 15:40:01

Woodburners obviously pollute, but some of us have to have heating that doesn't rely on electricity (and not all of that comes from renewables) because the power goes off all too frequently with strong winds or heavy snow.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 15:44:13

If you have a Cleanburn Defra approved stove and only burn dry wood, they shouldn't pollute too much. Don't often light mine though. Cba.

New even more stringent rules coming in soon.

lemongrove Wed 11-Dec-19 15:46:54

Nothing like a log fire on a cold day, we will be lighting one this evening.?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Dec-19 15:47:02

How much a woodburner pollutes depends on how you use it, what you burn in it and whether harmful particles are filtered out.

Heating is very necessary; cars less so, unless you live at the back of beyond.

Improving public transport, so fewer people feel the need for a car, making it possible to run an electric car economically etc. will do a lot more good for the environment than discouraging wood burners.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 15:51:31

I will be switching my leccie heater on Lemon. Lazy bugger me.

lemongrove Wed 11-Dec-19 15:53:51

tchgrin I’m happy to light it, it’s the cleaning out of it tomorrow.?

kittylester Wed 11-Dec-19 15:53:59

Well, it has just peed down here and I am cuddled up with 11 year old dgd and 2 year old granddog so I'm as snug as a bug in a rug.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 15:58:44

Awww. envy

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:01:03

Well we live out in the sticks, and use local ash- so I'm afraid it is how it is...never coal. We have solar panels for hot water- and too rural to be on gas- so better than using more oil.

I know it is I can't be a*sed - my students told me years and years ago- I was quite taken aback- but I kept to my version. They also taught me the difference between a twit and the one with the other vowel... being a furiner has its excitement smile

Still snowing.

sunseeker Wed 11-Dec-19 16:05:05

Just like to point out I am not anti-woodburners (I have one myself). It just seems that no matter what we do or what we use - we are wrong.

I haven't used my woodburner yet this year - my only other heating is an oil fired Rayburn - so I am definitely not on Greta Thunberg's Christmas card list!

Gaunt47 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:17:26

Rules about log fires? confused - how will that be policed! Another pointless rule to ignore IMO.

sodapop Wed 11-Dec-19 16:19:27

Yes I agree sunseeker we have just changed to a pellet burner but have had complaints about how ecologically sound that is. It's so much easier to manage though than the wood burner.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:30:34

Our large woodburner is so efficient. It is alpine stone clad, so acts as a storage heater too, and as said, we only use local sourced ash and beech - so no guilt here. Walls are 3ft stone thick, great double glazed windows- and we have learnt to pu another layer and thicker socks when cold- rather than turn up the thermostat.

merlotgran Wed 11-Dec-19 16:37:53

We live in the back of beyond so have a car and a woodburner shock

It's a cleanburn and heats the whole property. I can also cook on it. Our electricity bill is only £10 per week in summer and £20 per week in winter so I don't feel guilty.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Dec-19 17:12:31

I will only give up my wood burner when mums stop driving their children short distances to school.. We have ours swept every year, only burn dry clean wood and every now and again burn a thing (don't know what its called) that cleans the flue. We probably are probably far less polluting than a diesel four wheel drive.

Also we only use our woodturner to heat the house.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Dec-19 17:13:27

Forgot,long for a bit of snow so I can wear my new wellies.

quizqueen Wed 11-Dec-19 17:18:50

When we've burnt all the coal and the trees, what then? Oh, I know, we won't be able to breathe?

Dinahmo Wed 11-Dec-19 17:19:03

sodapop where I live in France hundreds of acres of woodland has been cut and one theory is that it's for pellets for the stoves. Strange really as trees are meant to help with air pollution.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:21:39

Our local forests are self-generating- no trees planted- and selectivelly cut to create more light and allow new trees to grow.

Barmey - snow and wellies just don't work - you need warmth and a really good tread - otherwise buy some stretch on crampons to fit underneath - or it will be another kind of stretcher ;)

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:22:53

We have several self grown very tall and large ash trees on our boundary we intend to cut down, as they spoil the view and we are replacing with other trees elsewhere- win win.