Gransnet forums

News & politics

So now we know

(473 Posts)
Tooting29 Fri 13-Dec-19 06:48:43

All the hyperbole, the grandstanding the rhetoric all over. We have a result and the British public have spoken. We have a conservative government.
Are we surprised?

growstuff Tue 17-Dec-19 08:44:53

MadeInYorkshire Message me if you want to offload in private. Keep strong! x

Linda369 Tue 17-Dec-19 04:53:24

Bit like Brexit, the U.K. is still pro Remain but our electoral system has given us this result.

Linda369 Tue 17-Dec-19 04:50:59

Shocked at the scale but not the result. I fear for our future not only Brexit but also the changes that are being spoken about regarding the courts, human rights, workers rights, the NHS and climate change. I fear we are in for a very dark few years.

Labaik Tue 17-Dec-19 02:02:11

I'm still furious at seeing Nicky Morgan on HIGNFY [thought I'd seen the back of her after her resignation] and now she's about to reappear in the cabinet. These Conservatives are like those wobbly toys that you try to push over but back up they pop. Still, at least it might shut up those who might be annoyed that Jo Swinson could reappear in the same way [fingers crossed].

MadeInYorkshire Tue 17-Dec-19 00:57:16

endre123

Looks like he has given them a place in the Lords instead!

welfareweekly.com/boris-johnson-accused-of-disdain-for-democracy-as-unelected-tories-set-to-keep-cabinet-jobs/?fbclid=IwAR11WTNHam1wXskQnMutlbVtzwh_Nb1dvE4-xz7b7kCIb-7uTy1nkwQXJDo

maddyone Mon 16-Dec-19 23:58:27

MadeinYorkshire, I’m glad to see you posting today. You have got a lot going on in your life and you need help and support. The Citizens Advice will give you advice and support, possibly also Age Concern. The Salvation Army also help people who are feeling so low as you do. I’m only posting these suggestions in the hope that you can get some of the help you need.
Re your daughter, I understand totally how difficult life becomes when one of your children suffers a mental illness, but with treatment and much patience people can recover. Has your daughter had any treatment?
I’m so sorry you’re going through this terrible time. Please feel free to PM me if it would help.

maddyone Mon 16-Dec-19 23:49:03

Labaik, only just got in and reading this thread. You say where will we be in ten years, I don’t know about the rest of you, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m completely worn out ? . Looking after my elderly mother and with the amount of childcare we do for our adult children, I swear my 92 year old mother will outlive me!

varian Mon 16-Dec-19 19:05:45

Coolio is living proof of the attitude leave voters have to furriners.

Urmstongran Mon 16-Dec-19 18:21:36

I think you could (hopefully) be right Macgran.

Nicola Sturgeon changed her tune 48 hours before polling day. It was all ‘stop Boris’ instead of ‘Indy2’ and now she’s the cheek to say to the voters it’s about a second referendum.

She’s delusional.

Macgran43 Mon 16-Dec-19 18:05:59

In most Scottish constituencies,more people voted against SNP ( when votes for other parties were added together).
If there is another referendum I think the noes would win again.

CoolioC Mon 16-Dec-19 16:57:37

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Urmstongran Mon 16-Dec-19 16:52:33

I don’t do Twitter, so I’m immune. Nor Facebook, never been interested in it. Seems I’ve swerved shedloads of persuasions.
?

GagaJo Mon 16-Dec-19 16:45:48

endre123 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:51:37
I'm on twitter & like many others I witnessed over a hundred of "followers" disappearing off my timeline today in half an hour. They were Russian "bots" who had pretended to be real ppl. They had been spreading lies fior weeks. The machines were switching them off today. One "follower" can have several IDs , they multiply once they have access to an account.

EXACTLY. Those that like to paint this as a fair and equal election are living in the 20th century. Things are not the same as they were in the 1980s. The media is tapped.

Labaik Mon 16-Dec-19 00:13:17
How many times I've thought 'that's it, he's finished now' [bit like Trump really] only for him to rise from the ashes and be even more popular than before. And he's now planning to make changes that will result in him being in power for 10 years. Oh for a crystal ball with which to know where we'll be in 10 years time [or perhaps not sad].

Again, exactly. We are in a Tory totalitarian state. Awful, but outside of our control. Do not pretend to believe we live in a democracy anymore. In name only.

varian Mon 16-Dec-19 16:29:15

Welcome to brexit

www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/welcome-brexit-sprayed-onto-burned-3646919

timetogo2016 Mon 16-Dec-19 14:13:41

Agree with Ladymuck 100%,

Starblaze Mon 16-Dec-19 14:08:35

Hang in there MadeInYorkshire, I wish I could help you x

MadeInYorkshire Mon 16-Dec-19 14:06:18

Starblaze, maddyone and growstuff ... many thanks Ladies.

I have been pinching from Peter to pay Paul for many years now, as I became unable to work around a decade ago after 21 operations which generally mostly failed, and have been left in a bit of a state now, with further medical issues (now compounding the initial one which began in 1998). but now my very poorly mentally ill daughter has had to return to the fold, I have lost a load of my benefits (why does that make me any less disabled??) So I am now struggling big time to meet my financial commitments, and looks like I may have to sell the roof over my head, leave my small support network, my 2 DGD, and my very good GP and move back to the north so that I can be mortgage free. This will send my daughter into a spiral of suicide attempts again as her perceived 'fear of abandonment' will come true .... this is so difficult, I have been via many charities now, but none seem able to help me - my Council is now wanting me to pay for the help I get (appealed twice now as I just cannot give them what I haven't got!) and the Child Maintenance Service says I owe some money to my ex husband (who earns a fortune!) from when my now almost 27 year old daughter lived with me about a decade ago! If I do owe then fine, but they refuse to tell me why and when, so I am unable to check my records! It's like going up to someone in the street and saying they owe you a tenner for no reason! Physically and mentally I am declining fast I feel now due to all this stress .... as for Christmas, bah humbug!!

Chestnut Mon 16-Dec-19 10:34:25

Wilma, those figures pale into insignificance compared to 3.8million votes for one UKIP MP in 2015 (as I posted earlier).

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 16-Dec-19 03:37:14

I don't know if this information tweeted on 13th December by the Electoral Reform Society (@electoralreform) has already been posted, but across Britain, it took...

864,743 votes to elect 1 Green MP
642,303 votes to elect 0 Brexit Party MPs
334,122 votes to elect a Lib Dem
50,817 votes for a Labour MP
38,316 votes for a Plaid Cymru MP
38,300 votes for a Con. MP
25,882 votes for a SNP MP

#ScrapFPTP

I signed this petition -

Our voting system fails at the basic task of representing voters.

Labaik Mon 16-Dec-19 01:27:17

He was the one that voted against May's deal 3 [?] times and he was even lying in his speech about 40,000 nurses etc...his garden bridge, water cannons etc when mayor cost the taxpayer a fortune. He took credit for things he didn't do....

newnanny Mon 16-Dec-19 00:26:10

I am delighted with result of election. I heard BJ speech and he sounded truly humble. Best news is with such a big majority he won't be blocked in parliament any more. We can get out of EU and do trade deals around world with many different countries. I think BJ can be trusted with NHS and heard he is making it a priority. I think those who doubt him now will change their minds once they see what he can do. He won Labour London not once but twice as Mayor of London. He got the second term because he ruled well in first term.

Labaik Mon 16-Dec-19 00:13:17

How many times I've thought 'that's it, he's finished now' [bit like Trump really] only for him to rise from the ashes and be even more popular than before. And he's now planning to make changes that will result in him being in power for 10 years. Oh for a crystal ball with which to know where we'll be in 10 years time [or perhaps not sad].

helenmabr Mon 16-Dec-19 00:06:48

Devastated! I also can’t believe that a proven liar, racist and cheat like Boris Johnson has hoodwinked people into voting for him, with his idiotic slogans. I fear for all the poor and needy our nhs and our schools. In all my 66 years things have never been so bad, dark days ahead indeed ?

endre123 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:51:37

I'm on twitter & like many others I witnessed over a hundred of "followers" disappearing off my timeline today in half an hour. They were Russian "bots" who had pretended to be real ppl. They had been spreading lies fior weeks. The machines were switching them off today. One "follower" can have several IDs , they multiply once they have access to an account.

endre123 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:46:45

I agree with Rocknroll5me, I hope there is another kinder Johnson inside the PM. someone who has found empathy from somewhere and will really help public services.This was no normal General Election, we were swamped by lies on our broadcasting stations and social media. It's been happening in other countries but it's a success in UK because people trust the news. Johnson is a Putin puppet, he has been planning brexit since he was at Oxford University, he wants to change history.

Corbyn was terrible, people knew brexit was going to make everyone much poorer & cause a huge loss of jobs but Corbyn was more interested in being friends with everyone than educating as a good opposition leader. He should go straight away so the country has a chance to challenge the devastation ahead us.

People have been very gullible.

We can only hope the new Tory intake have a lot more compassion than the previous Govt under Jihnson. He threw out the good Tory MPs.

Yet we might be in for a suprise. We have to hope.

If the Conservatives had huge problems on their backbenches before they have far more now. Farage will want his place in negotiations after he "gave" his party to help Johnson.