Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dear Conservative Voters,

(351 Posts)
Starblaze Sun 15-Dec-19 11:52:26

You won.

Now own it.

Get Brexit done by January 31st, get us a great deal, or no deal and great new trade alliances that positively impact our economy.

Get us our new nurses, our new police, our 40 new hospitals. Ensure the NHS is not sold off.

You won, you own it.

I expect you to see this through. Write to your MP, go protest every time your elected government doesn't fulfill a promise. Sign petitions. Prove to me you wanted what is best for our country. Prove to the government you expect what is best for this country.

Don't just vote for it, fight for it.

The Labour voters will.

Callistemon Thu 19-Dec-19 23:58:07

There is proving to be a problem with some of the insulation which was fitted under that scheme.
Some are asking for it to be removed as it is causing damp.

GagaJo Fri 20-Dec-19 06:17:29

In your echo chambers, maybe Callistemon and Trueblue22. Where I live and work, people are despondent at another 5 years of cuts and ignoring of the poor and needy.

Yehbutnobut Fri 20-Dec-19 07:04:15

Of course Monica it is justifiable to smirk at someone who has just suffered a humiliating defeat...that’s OK for the English then.

Yehbutnobut Fri 20-Dec-19 07:07:33

The reason JC looked pissed off was he had just been told that workers rights were among other things stripped from the Brexit Bill.

Yehbutnobut Fri 20-Dec-19 07:45:30

What a man!

travelsafar Fri 20-Dec-19 07:57:15

Such a nasty picture of Boris. He looks most devious and evil!!

lemongrove Fri 20-Dec-19 08:07:46

Corbyn refused any small talk apparently, so I don’t blame Johnson for the secretly amused smile to camera.
Corbyn has no grace in defeat, however he feels privately he should put on a show at the least. That’s what McDonnell and others are doing, but Corbyn just can’t bring himself to do it.

Alexa Fri 20-Dec-19 08:11:11

Monica, interpretation matters. I thought Corbyn looked serious and thoughtful. I thought " Corbyn carries the heavy burden of opposition to very strong right wing rule".

notanan2 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:17:42

He smiled at a reporter he didnt give corbyn a wedgie!

GagaJo Fri 20-Dec-19 08:22:42

As I'm sure most on here know, I was a huge Corbyn advocate. But I think he has been broken by the election. I feel for him. He's strong, because he's going to keep going until his replacement is in place, although probably at a deleterious cost to his peace of mind I think. The ferocious and unprecedented attacks and the viciousness of the media towards him has played a part and the defeat on top of that...

I wish the man well. He's a great MP and I think his constituents are very lucky to have him. A true egalitarian.

Oldwoman70 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:22:58

Pictures today of Corbyn slamming his car door like a petulant child rather than speak to a reporter.

Grany Fri 20-Dec-19 08:23:51

@do do 47
@johncorden47
·
2m
Taking back control giving it to Murdoch
Quote Tweet

@Mandoline_Blue

Read it & weep. The withdrawal bill published just 24 hours before Parliament has to vote on it (!!!!!) with 'protections on workers’ rights, unaccompanied refugee children & parliament’s say over the future relationship stripped out.' Heaven help us all. theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/19/johnson-revises-eu-bill-to-limit-parliaments-role-in-brexit-talks?CMP=share_btn_tw

Harry Styles Updates.
@TheHSUpdate
“FUCK THE GOVERNMENT FUCK BORIS”
Harry and Stormzy on stage tonight. via lovedangel

twitter.com/TheHSUpdate/status/1207806524241911808?s=20

Btw instant mashed potatoes was mentioned by my food bank and tinned potatoes as a lot of families can't afford to cook it (fuel costs) and if people want to have a go for store brands, 20 quid stretch a lot further with store brands than branded products in fancy wrapping

MerylStreep Fri 20-Dec-19 08:25:15

yehbutnobut
Thank you for putting that picture up. It put a smile on my face, again Thank you ?

GagaJo Fri 20-Dec-19 08:26:40

Good tips re: food banks Grany. Thank you. I always chuck in a few tins. I'll add potatoes to the list. Anything else you suggest? I usually go for beans, pasta sauce, pasta, instant hot water pasta. I might add some sweets, for children.

I did Crisis at Christmas once. One of the best Christmas' I've ever had. NOT because of the charity aspect but the fun I had with the attendees.

Callistemon Fri 20-Dec-19 09:41:49

Lidl is great as you can buy a lot for a reasonable sum for the food bank.
Also Tesco seem to be doing a brand which is very reasonable plus their own cereals are often three for two. And their long life milk (we sometimes buy it).
They are often made by the same manufacturer as the branded goods anyway.

Tins of fruit - they are often short of them.

Callistemon Fri 20-Dec-19 09:43:03

Squash (the cordials)

Urmstongran Fri 20-Dec-19 10:36:37

Why don’t you all open up a food bank thread to chat about your ideas?

inkcog Fri 20-Dec-19 12:32:43

People who open food banks do not chat about ideas. They work towards preventing hunger in one of the richest countries in the world.

And this is ok?

jannxxx Fri 20-Dec-19 12:34:33

im glad labour lost its seat in my town now we may get something done round here, 15 years of labour, no more

Callistemon Fri 20-Dec-19 13:24:47

Sorry, Urmstongran!

Don't forget toiletries toothpaste, soap etc

I will now beat a hasty retreat.

Grany Fri 20-Dec-19 14:00:17

Buy the latest Christmas charity song, with a naughty title – and a serious message {EXTREME LANGUAGE
“What a lark”: Jarvis Cocker is thrilled that his song is the centre of the campaign – and all proceeds will go to Shelter.

Campaigners are hoping to rebuild an atmosphere of “inclusivity, representation, love, acceptance and kindness” – by getting a song to the top of the Christmas charts called C*nts Are Still Running The World.

A Facebook group has been launched to get the song to Number One and it seems that people are joining the campaign in a big way – as a comment on the Conservative general election victory earlier this month.

And the great news is that all proceeds will go to Shelter, to help relieve the huge homelessness crisis that has been created by Conservatives like Boris Johnson.

If you’re unfamiliar with this particular opus, here it is (be warned: the lyrics feature one word that many consider to be extremely strong language):

Did you like that?

If so, buy it here: uk.7digital.com/artist/jarvis-cocker/release/running-the-world

Jabberwok Fri 20-Dec-19 14:09:22

Yes J.C has taken a lot of stick that is true, but I don't think anyone has taken more ridicule and downright nastiness than Theresa May during her premiership, and she managed to at least observe rudimentary good manners toward her political opponents when the occasion demanded it!

Grany Fri 20-Dec-19 14:12:25

I think that especially at xmas more than ever it would be a good idea to give essentials something for the food banks located in supermarkets many starving people in this country.

inkcog Fri 20-Dec-19 15:55:58

Grany, I heard on the radio a man talking about a silly song and the proceeds are going to the Trussel Trust? Something about sausage rolls?

notanan2 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:17:09

Ladbaby (do the sausage roll song. There was also a 2018 sausage roll song so pick the 2019 one!)