Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Parliament & a new Speaker

(73 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 15:59:39

in Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

Let’s hope it makes a positive difference.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 17:50:06

The relief in the country is palpable

What country would that be - Wales or England? Certainly not the UK has a whole.

I agree Jura - for around half the voting population there is nothing but despair. Listening to Boris’ completely unnecessary agitating earlier about how much better this Parliament is that the last one was toe curling, disrespectful and reminiscent of Trump’s blustering. For someone who had the expensive education he did he’s remarkably lacking in manners and grace.

winterwhite Tue 17-Dec-19 17:59:01

Are none of you rejoicers even a trifle concerned that on day one the prime minister decreed that there will be no extension to the transition date of 31 Dec 2020 despite promises made when he was drumming up support earlier? And then sent up to the Lords Zac Goldsmith after the voters of Richmond Park 'spoke' and threw him out? What price democracy for Richmond Park?
Comments on here every day show that we all hope our smallest grandchildren will behave better than that.

Labaik Tue 17-Dec-19 18:13:58

We seem to have gone from being a democracy to being a dictatorship led by Dominic Cummings and his puppet Johnson. How do I feel? Bloomin' terrified....

Labaik Tue 17-Dec-19 18:14:34

...it's like a political 'trapped in body' syndrome...

Greta Tue 17-Dec-19 18:17:10

The election took place less than a week ago. I therefore find it difficult to understand that people feel so 'relieved' and confident about the future. Of course, it's too early to see real, tangible benefits yet but there are already some worrying signs: Downing Street has suggested that the PM is no longer committed to guarantee workers' rights and environmental safeguards when we have left the EU. Also, the promise that MPs would have a vote on whether to extend the transition period at the end of 2020 has apparently been scrapped. So the possibility that we could be leaving without a trade deal is still real.

Perhaps the euphoria felt by some will lessen in intensity in the coming weeks/months/years.

Jane10 Tue 17-Dec-19 18:22:50

No government will ever satisfy everyone. This one won't be any different.
However, the total paralysis in Westminster was appalling and with no end in sight. I suspect that the decisive vote for Boris was to show how fed up we all were with that.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 18:29:20

There’s not satisfying everyone - and there’s lying through your back teeth to the Queen and the population whilst reneging on promises which will protect workers and the environment (and who knows what the hell else is coming) and putting no deal firmly back on the table. That goes way beyond not pleasing everyone and starts to stray into really worrying territory. Who in society do you really think these moves will benefit?

jura2 Tue 17-Dec-19 18:42:26

Just a couple of days in, promises are already being broken.
As they continue to be, one by one, day by day - with No Deal as the ERG aim from the start - this cosy, comfy ... deluded feeling will soon go.

Those who say the country as a whole is breathing a massive sigh of relief, must live on a different planet- or certainly UK.

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 19:01:26

Borisk punchy decision to use his majority to "legally prohibit" Parliament from extending the transition period beyond December 31 next year sets the tone for what promises to be a no-nonsense approach to future negotiations with Brussels.

Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 19:02:56

I'm pleased for our former MP, Zac Goldsmith, but he was pro Brexit in a very strong Remain area which had a massive turnout in the day, over 80%. He was a very good and active constituency MP and is extremely strong on environmental issues.
It would have been much more satisfying if he'd been one of those useless, pompous arses we couldn't wait to get rid of!

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 19:27:36

BJ has banned ministers from attending the Davos summit next month - insisting they should be busy 'delivering' rather than sipping 'champagne with billionaires'.
?

jura2 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:33:21

If you mainly meet and talk to over 60s- no wonder you feel all warm and fuzzy about the choice.

Young people will not thank you, for sure

yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=how_britain_voted_2019

lavenderzen Tue 17-Dec-19 19:37:30

Thank goodness we now have Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 19:40:48

On Boris’ Davos ban - The PM’s decision was described as “ridiculous” by former Treasury adviser and now portfolio manager at Blackrock.

“There’s nowhere you can make you case to more inward investors into the UK more efficiently,” he tweeted.

jura2 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:45:49

probably instructed to do so by Trump sad

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 19:49:10

No - apparently Trump is going this time. I suspect it’s more to do with the fact that the blonde buffoon knows he’ll get a frosty reception and the photos won’t look good.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 19:56:01

Jura2 - your voting statistics have proved that with age comes wisdom for most people. Young people are idealistic by nature and will always follow the Pied Piper who plays the sweetest tune and tells them the best fairy stories (Corbyn).

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 19:56:22

No, sorry - I disagree with you jura. Have you seen how many of the new MP’s who have taken their seats today are energised young people?

A breath of fresh air blowing through the HoC!

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 19:57:15

Its only when you experience some excellent political leadership that you come to understand how lacking it has been for a very long time.

Long may this continue, and as our confidence in our new government grows so will the status of thenUK grow around the world. I am so glad we had an election, and that this party won it.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 20:03:18

Excellent political leadership grin Urm, you do make me laugh at times! Boris might be a lot of things but excellent leader isn’t one of them - as well you know.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 20:03:53

Well said Urmstongran. Strong leadership is essential and will move things on at last. I'm also a happy bunny now that the gridlock has been cleared.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 20:06:31

SirChenjin - when you look at how Boris was attacked from all sides over the last few months I think he did show strong leadership. I was impressed at the way he stood his ground and it seems the country agrees,

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 20:06:44

So let me get this straight - the young people who took their places in the HoC haven’t actually got the wisdom required and will simply follow their leader as per the Pied Piper? Oh, how right you are Chestnut

An unfortunate crossing of posts if ever I saw one - love it!! gringrin

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 20:08:36

No - he showed arrogance, a predilection for lying through his teeth and a complete disregard for parliamentary democracy. That’s not excellent political leadership.

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 20:12:13

SirChenjin - you were referring to young voters. Most of them have little clue of Corbyn's history, they just hear him saying what they want to hear. Hence the drive to get votes for 16 year olds, the younger and more idealistic the better!
MPs are a little more enlightened I imagine, and not quite that young!