Gransnet forums

News & politics

New Parliament & a new Speaker

(73 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 15:59:39

in Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

Let’s hope it makes a positive difference.

Calendargirl Thu 19-Dec-19 17:59:55

GagaJo

Your idea of impartial is obviously different to mine. Yes, I supported the Conservatives last Thursday.

POGS Thu 19-Dec-19 16:16:41

I've been outspoken in the past about Bercow and that is exactly what he is now thank goodness, ' the past' .

I always said Labour MP Lyndsay Hoyle was a far superior Deputy Speaker than the Speaker John Bercow and was so pleased he has now been selected twice by Parliament as the new Speaker.

I hope Lindsay Hoyle starts as he means to go on and brings back the impartiality required for his role and regains respect between the benches back to Parliament, the signs are good.

Parliament was brought to a level of a shouting, name calling, abusive behaviour by Bercow who could not control his temper or demeanour so it follows those around him felt they could do likewise. Lindsay Hoyle is hopefully going to be a better role model for old and new Parliamentarians.

Wishful thinking, probably, it could not have carried on as it was they shamed the nation too often and the wonderful debates they did engage in were lost in the fog of of bad behaviour which was quite puerile at times.

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 22:26:25

And no, Calendargirl, I liked Bercow. As did my bloke. He was nicely impartial. But I'm sure you don't feel that way if you're a Tory supporter. Just because he didn't bow and scrape to BJ and TM.

Dinahmo Tue 17-Dec-19 22:02:15

Last week there was a tiny glimmer of light - the sterling/euro exchange rate had reached the highest point for 36 months . I managed to transfer funds and spent the increase on some wine and a bottle of single malt for Christmas. Sadly the news today is that sterling is falling against the euro and bang goes the increase.

The reason for the fall is Johnson's statement that he won't allow the transition period to go on beyond next December.

Hetty58 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:49:13

OLD people, majority C2DE - why am I not surprised? I'm always amazed, though, that they vote for those who represent others - and against their own interests, as they need public services and healthcare the most!

Devorgilla Tue 17-Dec-19 21:46:10

The best thing about a new Parliament made up of such a massive majority for one side is that it doesn't take long for the unity to begin to crumble. Every one of these MPs is an individual and some won't want to be seen as just 'yes' people. That's not what they were elected to be. They may hold the line up to the 'delivery' of Brexit but if it turns out to be extremely damaging for their communities and they want back in they will have to fight their corner. That is the fun part of politics for the media - when it all starts to come unstuck. I bet the media are already salivating over new scandals and sleaze as yet unearthed, new people to leak the real news. The one thing Boris can be sure of is that there is someone standing very near to him saying to themselves - I can do it better. Those of you who voted him in with this Carte Blanche enjoy while it lasts. It won't take long to swing the other way. It will be interesting to see what is the first thing Boris does that actually unnerves even the most dyed in the blue wool on here.

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 21:26:52

Greta Thunberg, actually.

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 21:20:06

Is that you Emily Thornberry?

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 21:17:01

Ah, so classy. Overtones of the BNP. You must be so proud!

MerylStreep Tue 17-Dec-19 21:14:01

Craftyone
We were saying the self same thing ? My next door neighbour has put up her ginormous Union Jack ??

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 21:12:33

I agree craftyone
??

Boris IS a leader. You’ll see.

And I think secretly Corbyn loves BJ - he wants Brexit and prefers being in opposition. JC is more of a protester than PM material!

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 21:09:46

OLD people obviously, craftyone. Not the young. They voted Labour.

Baby Boomers, stealing the future of the young, yet again (apologies to those of you, Varian, who voted with the young).

varian Tue 17-Dec-19 20:59:28

A minority of people

craftyone Tue 17-Dec-19 20:56:49

if it was summer, we would be having street parties, people were walking around looking very content, at long last

varian Tue 17-Dec-19 20:50:53

I feel proud to belong to the third of over-seventies who are not responsible for foisting this brexitory government on our children and grandchildren.

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 20:48:26

Me too jura2. I have to keep reminding myself I'll be financially better off under the Tory jack boot. Brings me NO pleasure though.

jura2 Tue 17-Dec-19 20:46:35

Ah, watch this space - and the accusation of 'virtue signalling' - I am so proud of having voted with a young mind and heart- and to be able to say to my grandchildren 'I voted for you- for your future in a free and strong Europe'.

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 20:37:48

Ahhh!!! That makes sense. Most of my contacts are younger than me. Hence the Labour support.

jura2 Tue 17-Dec-19 20:34:27

So about 27% of 18-50 voted Conservative

whilst
about 54% of over 50s

57% over 60

67% over 70

They won't thank you, for sure.

jura2 Tue 17-Dec-19 20:29:27

Urmstongran ''No, sorry - I disagree with you jura. ''

the statistics I gave in the link are the official statistics of how each age group voted- there is nothing to 'agree or disagree' about.

As for Zach and Nicky - remember the 'We don't want to be ruled by un-elected politicians' ? what a terrible example.

Pantglas2 Tue 17-Dec-19 20:17:02

Good to see Waspi women weren’t easily fooled either.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 20:13:31

Nice attempt at a back peddle Chestnut grin

Chestnut Tue 17-Dec-19 20:12:13

SirChenjin - you were referring to young voters. Most of them have little clue of Corbyn's history, they just hear him saying what they want to hear. Hence the drive to get votes for 16 year olds, the younger and more idealistic the better!
MPs are a little more enlightened I imagine, and not quite that young!

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 20:08:36

No - he showed arrogance, a predilection for lying through his teeth and a complete disregard for parliamentary democracy. That’s not excellent political leadership.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 20:06:44

So let me get this straight - the young people who took their places in the HoC haven’t actually got the wisdom required and will simply follow their leader as per the Pied Piper? Oh, how right you are Chestnut

An unfortunate crossing of posts if ever I saw one - love it!! gringrin