Gransnet forums

News & politics

And who will be the new Lib Dem leader?

(21 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 18-Dec-19 11:19:24

A quick pint in the pub with their 11 MP's and a game of rock, paper, scissors should sort that one out. It can be done at the LibDem Xmas party!

Riverwalk Wed 18-Dec-19 11:28:57

Right now I can't even name one of their MPs. I don't suppose many people care who the new leader will be.

growstuff Wed 18-Dec-19 12:58:50

Layla Moran.

Calendargirl Wed 18-Dec-19 12:59:53

Well, the last three haven’t been much use.

Nico97 Wed 18-Dec-19 13:02:03

In the scheme of things will it really matter ?

GrandmaKT Wed 18-Dec-19 13:05:08

I think we forget how little time Jo Swinson had as leader. She was only elected on 22nd July and made a big impression on many in a short time. If the election hadn't come about whilst we were still embroiled in the fight against Brexit I think she could have evolved into a great leader.

varian Wed 18-Dec-19 13:06:55

And in the general election, which party saw the biggest increase in votes? (clue- it was not the Tories or the SNP)

JenniferEccles Wed 18-Dec-19 13:07:42

What has happened to Chucky ?

I believe he eventually settled for the Lib Dems. Was he re elected?

Calendargirl Wed 18-Dec-19 13:07:52

They didn’t win though Varian did they?

Calendargirl Wed 18-Dec-19 13:08:32

Chucky was beaten, didn’t get in. Serves him right.

Oopsminty Wed 18-Dec-19 13:12:09

Jo did make a big impression.

Her popularity diminished with every televised interview

varian Wed 18-Dec-19 13:14:17

Her popularity only diminished with leave voters who saw the LibDems as a threat, but it rose with Remainers which is why the LibDems gained more extra votes than any other party.

MerylStreep Wed 18-Dec-19 14:12:08

Oopsminty ????

Galaxy Wed 18-Dec-19 16:20:49

They should have scooped up the remain vote though, it was a disastrous election for them when they should have had an open goal.

JenniferEccles Wed 18-Dec-19 16:49:56

That puzzled me too.

She was promising to overturn the leave vote.

We were constantly told that a second referendum would show that the majority now want to remain , so she should have been the answer to leavers’ dreams shouldn’t she?

I wonder how many people know that the Lib Dems were planning to legalise cannabis?

I was horrified when I read that,

growstuff Wed 18-Dec-19 17:36:51

Why were you horrified?

JenniferEccles Wed 18-Dec-19 17:45:23

Why am I horrified?

Do you really need to ask ?

Cannabis use has been shown to lead to mental health issues, and of course many users then go on to hard drug addiction.

Grandad1943 Wed 18-Dec-19 17:51:27

The LibDems suddenly swung from being a party that supported a second referendum to a party that would stop Brexit without any further reference other than to elect then into government at the General Election.

That certainly did not suit many remain supporters (such as myself) who wish to see Britan remain in the EU, but felt you could not just ignore the result of the referendum.

That I feel prevented many from polling for the LibDems on December 12th.

varian Wed 18-Dec-19 18:03:26

The LibDems always supported a second referendum and voted for it in the HOC 17 times.

In the GE there were only three parties standing in more than 600 seats and each party produced a manifesto which set out what it would do if it achieved a majority. The LibDems were a Remain party and so in the event of a LIbDem majority (admittedly unlikely for many reasons) Article 50 would have been revoked and brexit cancelled. However it was also made clear that in any other circumstance the party supported a second referendum.

Callistemon Wed 18-Dec-19 18:06:48

Her popularity only diminished with leave voters who saw the LibDems as a threat, but it rose with Remainers which is why the LibDems gained more extra votes than any other party.
That's not necessarily true varian
I did vote Lib Dem but found Swinson extremely annoying (all that rubbish about being the next Prime Minister was ridiculous).
The share of the vote went up here too, in fact doubled, and took votes from both Tory and Labour, but was still less than 10%. Our new candidate was very good and this is mainly a remain constituency.

varian Wed 18-Dec-19 18:07:15

I ,admit that many party members had erservations about the revoke policy, because they realised that it was open to deliberate misinterpretation by the brexit press.