Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you approve of unelected Ministers?

(47 Posts)
nahsma Thu 19-Dec-19 17:14:55

I wonder how those who voted in favour of Brexit because they didn't approve of 'unelected' people making decisions feel about Nicky Morgan (retired from Commons when the election was called) and Zac Goldsmith (lost his seat last week) being elevated to the Lords so that they can continue to hold their previous ministerial portfolios?

jura2 Thu 19-Dec-19 17:30:24

NO, this is so so wrong, in so many ways.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 17:33:12

I don't approve of anything much these days.

ayse Thu 19-Dec-19 17:35:31

It’s not new but doesn’t make it right. I don’t approve and we should consider an elected second house to replace the Lords.

kittylester Thu 19-Dec-19 17:40:51

I think it's fine if they have a specific expertise and, presumably, this couple have British interests at heart. It's the way we operate in this country at the moment. It might need to change but that wasnt the question.

Jump88 Thu 19-Dec-19 17:49:48

Absolutely disapprove, they can't be asked questions in the House! It's ludicrous.

I don't think there's a particular need for a second house. Many systems don't have one. Do away with the Lords completely.

POGS Thu 19-Dec-19 18:13:21

I am no hypocrite so I admit to being a tad torn on this one.

Why?

Shami Chakrobarti who has never been in government, an elected politician, nor a government minister was given a Life Peerage by Corbyn in September 2016. She was appointed in October 2016 to Corbyns Shadow Cabinet as ' Shadow Cabinet Attorney General for England and Wales'.

At the time I probably posted something about it but as there is now a set precedence I don't see why for one party it is deemed as acceptable but not for another.

Whether it was the Labour Party/ Shami Chakrobarti /Corbyn who set a precedence or it was a perfectly acceptable political move to make I have no idea. The fact of the matter is there is a precedent so I accept that and Boris Johnson must respect Nicky Morgan is the person he wants in the job. She did not ' lose ' her constituency she decided not to stand by the way.

POGS Thu 19-Dec-19 18:18:53

nahsma

"I wonder how those who voted in favour of Brexit"
----

Why did you only feel the question should be asked of posters who voted Brexit?

I feel you are trying to make a point that is a tad accusatory but the question you asked is a fair one but crosses political divide and irrespective of whether posters voted to Remain or Leave the EU.

varian Thu 19-Dec-19 18:55:43

This may not what some might expect me to say, but I think in some cases appointing a party spokesman or even a minister from the House of Lords might be justified.

The House of Lords should be reformed and the LibDems tried to do this during the coalition years but were overruled by the Tories .

However the HOL does contain many experienced and knowledgeable experts who can contribute a great deal.

These are people who have not necessarily spent their lives in politics but have great experience in the professions, in science, business or law or other fields.

I hope we can at some time reform our second chamber without sacrificing that expertese.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Dec-19 19:02:26

Varian I totally agree with your post.

Tooting29 Fri 20-Dec-19 18:54:26

There is some thought that this is temporary as a big shake up in February is predicted. It may be they are staying on for continuity reasons. Zac is a big environmentalist so perhaps he was good at the job.

growstuff Fri 20-Dec-19 19:25:57

Nicky Morgan was an appalling Education Secretary. What expertise does she have?

trisher Fri 20-Dec-19 19:29:37

I have been trying to think why Nicky Morgan was considered worthy of a peerage and I can't think of anything apart from the fact that she must know something others don't and she's being paid off in some way. Of course they shouldn't be permitted to be ministers. I suppose it shows that there isn't much talent on the government front benches.

Luckygirl Fri 20-Dec-19 20:22:44

So wrong - all so very wrong. Democracy means nothing any more.

Witzend Fri 20-Dec-19 21:56:47

I don't mind about Zac, who was our MP. Although I didn't vote for him, he was actually an extremely good and active constituency MP who for many years has been deeply committed to environmental issues. I think he will do a good job.
More than once I emailed him about an issue that concerned me and within 24 hours there would be a proper reply - not just some formulaic acknowledgement/I'll pass it on, kind of thing.

NotTooOld Fri 20-Dec-19 22:33:32

There seem to be several un-elected 'experts' on both side of the HoC exerting their influence on proceedings. Obviously in some instances it must be a good idea to consult experts in the field, though. For instance, what did Chris Grayling know about transport? But wait, isn't it the job of the civil servants to provide this expertise? I can see lots of grey areas here.

Callistemon Fri 20-Dec-19 23:07:16

No, and I think we should have a much smaller, elected Upper House.

newnanny Sat 21-Dec-19 01:27:17

I voted for Brexit and I am delighted we are now going to get it. I do not agree with unelected ministers. I also agree Nicky Morgan was a dreadful education minister, especially coming after Gove, who was very good.

GagaJo Sat 21-Dec-19 01:35:48

Gove was good!!!!! Have you talked to any teachers or educators? My god. Gove was the single worst thing that has happened to UK education in the last few years. He has decimated the chances of state school students in their GCSEs with his ridiculous requirements, which do NOT apply to private schools. Hence rendering the public/private advantage even more.

growstuff Sat 21-Dec-19 03:14:09

You could see Gove pulling Morgan's strings when she was Education Secretary. She didn't act as an independently-minded, intelligent human being, which is something I would want from somebody in the HoL.

In turn, you could see Dominic Cummings (anybody heard of him? hmm) operating Gove's puppet strings.

Education is a mess. As a private tutor, I'm witnessing the mess and I'm ashamed to say it's quite good for me because I'm picking up the pieces - but only if parents can afford to pay for it.

However, this isn't a thread for ranting about education.

As far as I can see, Morgan is a yes-woman with no outstanding talent. The system sucks!

absent Sat 21-Dec-19 04:37:25

No and I don't approve of the House of Lords either. Outdated nonsense!

Daisymae Sat 21-Dec-19 07:59:10

This is totally wrong. I thought that it was odd that she was hauled out in front of the cameras to explain how 2 and 2 made 7 with regards to the 50000 not extra nurses. Thought she was laughable but now she is in a position of power. Despite saying weeks ago that she was not standing to spend more time with family. Goldsmith is a super rich old Etonian, which is presumably sufficient experience.

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 08:04:04

Good Heavens! I don’t think this has happened before - but I agree with Varian! shock

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 08:05:45

And this really has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Dec-19 08:06:12

Perhaps that’s why we agree.