Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where is the Speaker ???

(18 Posts)
jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:33:14

taking ages to load, so giving up as we are on mobile HotSpot currently- but thanks.

POGS Fri 20-Dec-19 17:40:12

news.sky.com/video/square-video-sir-lindsay-hoyle-diabetes-001-mp4-11891307

In the Commons today speaking about his diabetes for anybody interested

Chestnut Fri 20-Dec-19 17:34:46

I disliked Bercow as much as anyone. I only referred to the strength of his voice which could quieten the shouting rabble!

jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 17:28:32

There was NO criticism in my question, for sure. Just wondering- rare for someone to ask deputies to take over at such an early and critical stage.

Very rare too to be diagnosed with Type 1 at this age, so I wish him the best.

POGS Fri 20-Dec-19 17:18:58

You did miss him in the Speakers Chair Jura.

Lindsay Hoyle was in the chair at the start of the debate today but he did hand over the chair by the time the vote result was announced.

At an interview on Sky News he used the term ' TEAM SPEAKER' to denote he was a fresh Speaker who was content to give a presence to his deputies because he respected their role as well as his own.

Indeed Lindsay Hoyle is a breath of fresh air and I have been an outspoken supporter of his over the years against the Speaker John Bercow.

I am sure whatever his reason for handing over proceedings it will have been for sound reasons, a good, honest, decent Speaker at last.

maddyone Fri 20-Dec-19 17:15:46

I believe he was diagnosed with diabetes on Election Day, as I others have mentioned. I think he will make a good speaker, but in order to do that he needs to get his diabetes under control. He will have lots of medical appointments until the medics get the dose absolutely right for him.

Anniebach Fri 20-Dec-19 17:15:01

Bercow loved the camera

sodapop Fri 20-Dec-19 17:14:46

I agree with you entirely JenniferEccles

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Dec-19 17:04:20

Nobody could be worse than Bercow!

It was shameful how openly biased he was .

M0nica Fri 20-Dec-19 16:54:34

Give him a chance! Awaiting a diagnosis of a serious medical problem and taking over as speaker, with all that involves. Give him a few days to settle in.

This time next year you may have your hands over your ears! I liked the look of him, amused and self-deprecating, was how he looked yesterday. I think he will manage the H of P with diplomacy and wit, not bombast.

Jabberwok Fri 20-Dec-19 16:53:02

He's a breath of fresh air after the ghastly Bercow. At least he'll be non biased unlike his predecessor.

Chestnut Fri 20-Dec-19 16:45:05

Heard the new speaker yesterday. Sounds very boring, very quiet, no expression in his voice, looked down a lot and his tone didn't command attention. I'm beginning to think Bercow wasn't so bad after all, maybe his attitude was dodgy but his voice was strong and loud and could be heard above the others!

EllanVannin Fri 20-Dec-19 16:44:47

The new speaker has just been diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1.

Anniebach Fri 20-Dec-19 16:36:17

Quite usual for the speaker to hand over to a deputy , Bercow
being the exception.

Urmstongran Fri 20-Dec-19 16:20:11

He was there this morning.

Jabberwok Fri 20-Dec-19 16:19:36

has 'Apparently ' etc etc!

Jabberwok Fri 20-Dec-19 16:18:29

It was the deputy speaker in the chair. Speaker Hoyle has diagnosed with diabetes, so perhaps had a medical appointment.

jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:14:30

must have missed it - why has the new Speaker been replaced today?