Gransnet forums

News & politics

And What Do You Do? Book about the Royal Family by Norman Baker

(112 Posts)
Grany Thu 26-Dec-19 12:25:27

Shedding new light
A few of the comments

Unputdownable.
Every pro-royalist argument is neatly demolished. It shows us what the monarchy really is about: free-loaders; parasites; freebie holidays lovers; hypocrites of the highest order, including the Queen, who by the way has shares in Brighthouse; a firm that exploits the poor in society; the myth that they bring in 'loads of money' proves to be just that, a myth peddled by the Firm.
In fact the annual third of a billion pounds allocated to them (not including security costs which are kept secret-why is that?!) should be rerouted to the ailing NHS, not to the Queen, who is fabuously wealthy. Even their wills remain secret (again-why?)
As head of state she is useless. The institution is undemocratic and riddled with corruption. How can one respect such a family?

They have no place in 21th century Britain

This is a carefully researched exposure of the greed, the cynicism and the general uselessness of Britain’s royalty. It’s quite jaw dropping to read how the British state panders to them, using every mechanism in their armoury to protect and indeed expand the grotesque privilege they enjoy. Norman Baker also exposes the humbug of royals like Prince Charles and his sons who never miss a chance to leap into a chartered jet to swan around the world. His account of the current life of Prince Andrew is partially entertaining; partially enraging. Well worth the 5 stars

Just started this. Should be mandatory for everyone to read it. I know generally what is being said, but the actual facts are amazing ... and we still haven’t moved away from having a royal family, living in absolute luxury, doing very little and expecting us to pay for it all!
Plus we must tug our fore locks, and bow and curtesy.
Eventually it will happen. In our grandchildren’s time?!

Jabberwok Fri 27-Dec-19 13:58:39

I've never heard of Norman Baker although I'm sure he was splendid in his own way.
As has been said the Queen owns two properties, the rest belong to the state, one is Balmoral, brought by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria, and Sandringham bought by Edward V11th when he was Prince of Wales in 1862. Presumably the RF wouldn't be expected to sell either of these? As for pictures, jewellery etc, surely they can keep personal things that belong to them as can the rest of us? Articles that belong to the nation are of course another matter! Should we sell the nations treasures including exhibits in museums, art galleries etc? Perhaps a referendum would be in order to see what the public feel?

trisher Fri 27-Dec-19 16:45:20

Callistemon who said you couldn't criicise the writer? Although it would be nice if you read the book first. As for criticism of the RF that's the whole point of my post. It's never really criticism by some people, simply unreasoned support for whichever member happens to be in favour at the time.

oldgimmer1 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:27:31

I quite like Norman Baker's writing. He's written a book about the death of Dr David Kelly which is an interesting read. It DOES stretch credulity a bit, though.

This one's dirt cheap in Kindle edition, so you can't go wrong, really, can you?

Anniebach Fri 27-Dec-19 18:34:53

Dr Kelly’s brother in law said there was no truth in Bakers book

oldgimmer1 Fri 27-Dec-19 18:48:14

It was a bit far-fetched Anniebach, to say the least! At one point he had Iraqis rowing up the Thames, doing the deed, staging Kelly's suicide and disappearing back down the Thames - all in broad daylightgrin.

I think one thing's true though - that Kelly was a convenient stooge for the powers-that-be.

Anniebach Fri 27-Dec-19 18:50:18

Good grief , a bit far fetched ? Thank you oldgimmer

Urmstongran Fri 27-Dec-19 18:57:24

We are spending money on keeping their palaces and mansions in order

I’m with you there Lesley60 - all the money spent on Frogmore ‘Cottage’ (do me a favour!) and then they bugger off to Canada!

Jabberwok Fri 27-Dec-19 19:04:39

The Queen paid for Frogmore Cottage from the money she is allocated from the civil list. She must feel a bit piddled off at funding this as they don't seem to spend much time there, and no doubt the money could have been better spent!!

Anniebach Fri 27-Dec-19 19:37:00

I wish they would stay in Canada, this will anger Megan and Harry’s fans sorry .

trisher Fri 27-Dec-19 20:57:50

Can we send the lot of them to Canada? "They never will be missed!"

Callistemon Fri 27-Dec-19 21:00:41

trisher I wasn't saying that at all.
You said that the Romans killed the messenger although I think it was an Armenian King who was recorded as killing the bringer of bad news.
Surely we shouldn't see off Norman! Some don't think the news is bad.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone, however annoying they are although he was always like a mosquito.

trisher Fri 27-Dec-19 21:48:36

Sorry Callistemon I was referring to those criticising the writer on here who would no doubt have him executed if they could! tchgrin

Callistemon Fri 27-Dec-19 21:58:31

I think the DM published his memoirs, "Modesty Is Not Me"
He always seems inordinately pleased with himself.

Lesley60 Fri 27-Dec-19 23:05:52

Anniebach, well if they don’t own the palaces then the residents should be evicted and the buildings turned over to the country for far better use than housing distant royal relations , I’m sure they can afford to buy their own place unlike some people in this country.

pinkquartz Fri 27-Dec-19 23:11:41

Anniebach what was Norman Bakers financial interest in Tibet?
Am very curious.

I had never heard of him before this book but I enjoyed it.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 10:16:07

So what would you propose using as Offices of State when you have a President, Lesley?

You could turn Buckingham Palace into studio flats for the homeless, the state rooms could be a little chilly though, cost of refurbishment upwards of, say £50 billion?

Then build a new and extremely expensive Presidential Palace suitable for entertaining world heads? Cost? Goodness knows.

Yes, a very economical use of public funds.

Anniebach Sat 28-Dec-19 10:30:02

Turn Windsor Castle into flats ?

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 10:30:38

Nice and cosy Anniebach

Chestnut Sat 28-Dec-19 10:45:20

I love the Royal family and all the pageant, but I agree they should be reduced significantly. Apart from the Queen, Charles and William the rest should support themselves. Anne and Edward do not live a grandiose lifestyle as far as I know, but Andrew, Fergie, Harry and Meghan are just taking the pee. I am not happy funding their extravagant lifestyles, so they should 100% support themselves along with all the others. Frogmore Cottage....don't get me started!
And don't touch any Royal residences, they are part of our (or the Queen's) heritage.

Anniebach Sat 28-Dec-19 11:05:45

Looking at the photograph of The Queen, Charles, William and George with the Christmas pudding mixing. And the
photographs on display during The Queens Christmas speech,

The Queens father, Charles and Camilla, William ,Kate and their children . It was obvious the slimming down is underway.

Anne and Edward can’t be dismissed , they do much for charities . Quite natural for the Queen to have all her family
with her at Church on Christmas morning and on the balcony
on her official birthday, but these are private occasions.

The problem for Charles is Harry and Megan who want to do
their own thing but want the trappings which go with being a working royal brings.

Jabberwok Sat 28-Dec-19 14:11:50

FGS Chestnut, the Queen paid for Frogmore Cottage out of money allocated to her in the form of the annual grant. It could have been better spent that is true! These days only the Queen and Prince Phillip are in receipt of this grant. Charles and his family, William and Harry et al are all supported by the Dutchy of Cornwall. The others are either self supporting or supported by the Queen from her private purse!

Jabberwok Sat 28-Dec-19 14:16:25

The Dutchy of Cornwall support is, of course, at the Dukes (Charles) discretion! Harry and Meghan may, if they're not careful, run up against his displeasure and find they're out of pocket! Unlikely, but possible!

Jabberwok Sat 28-Dec-19 14:42:56

Sorry, Duchy without a 't'!! Senior moment -Again!!!

pinkquartz Sat 28-Dec-19 23:46:34

Anniebach please tell me what is the connection with Norman Baker and TIbet?

Anniebach Sun 29-Dec-19 09:05:17

Sorry pinkquartz. He is president of the Tibet Society, when he spoke in the House he failed to say he received hospitality from the Tibet government in exile . He said it was an oversight.