Gransnet forums

News & politics

Australian fires - impact

(6 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 05-Jan-20 17:20:40

Have just been reading in the Australian press that some experts are estimating that half a billion animals have perished since the start of these fires. Its possible that some species may be extinct. Desperate situation.

tanith Sun 05-Jan-20 17:49:07

I just accidentally saw a video that a returning resident filmed it was horrific hundreds of dead kangaroos and cattle trapped by fences beside the road i wish I’d not seen it.

jura2 Sun 05-Jan-20 18:42:14

and photos of animals burnt to the bones - trying to cross barbed wire fences- can't watch, can't share.

J52 Sun 05-Jan-20 18:46:27

This is a disaster of biblical proportion, it makes me feel so sad and helpless.
My heart goes out to all those there and the GNs who have family caught up in this tragedy.

Jabberwok Sun 05-Jan-20 18:49:19

It's just AWFUL, I can't watch it either. Those poor creatures I can't bear to even think about the suffering. Poor people too, but at least they have an understanding of what's happening, but for animals it's blind panic and an awful death. Heartbreaking and truly dreadful!!!

jura2 Sun 05-Jan-20 19:59:10

I am not a believer J52- but biblical is how I feel. As if Mother Nature thought 'they are NOT listening to my warnings- so I will have to make an example. I'll start with an Island and perhaps they will come to their senses.

Sadly, tragically, I don't think we will, in time