Gransnet forums

News & politics

Iranian retaliation has begun!

(97 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 08-Jan-20 00:37:07

sad
The Pentagon confirmed that al-Asad air base in Iraq’s Anbar province, and Erbil base in northern Iraq, which both host a US contingent, had been hit by a salvo of more than a dozen missiles launched from Iran.

My heart is heavy tonight for those who have family members out there.

silverlining48 Sun 12-Jan-20 16:12:22

Opal am curious, just how do you, or any of us, know for sure that the general was making plans fir more attacks on the US?

It’s my understanding that it took 20 years fir the US to admit its responsibility in blowing up that Iranian flight killing nearly 300 in the late 80’s. At least the Iranians admitted their responsibility and apologised within of days of the tragic incident.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jan-20 16:18:32

The Iranians had no choice other than to admit, there was mounting evidence from a variety of sources.

I thought they had done it when 2 hours after the crash and before the “black box” had been examined they blamed “catastrophic engine failure”.

trisher Sun 12-Jan-20 16:19:05

Ok if the general was there to plan terrorist attacks why did he have a meeting with the Iraqi president booked? Are you suggesting the Iraqi president is somehow linked to terrorism? Or is it more likely that he was there to cement relations between Iraq nd Iran and that's something the US don't want to see. It's not a conspiracy theory by the way to look at the motives behind an action, it's called analysis. I realise some find that difficult to grasp.

lemongrove Sun 12-Jan-20 16:26:21

Cementing things between the Shia’s only trisher !
That’s the trouble, in fact the high ranking Iraqi blown up with Solameni was eager to help him get on and suppress his own people and any other plans in the pipeline.
The Iraqi president is Shia too, and suppression of the Sunni population both in Iraq and Iran is their shared goal.

trisher Sun 12-Jan-20 16:36:34

lemon what on earth has that got to do with what was being discussed- which was why the general was assassinated? Now I could retaliate with how we are backing Saudi interventions in the religious war by proxy as many of the arms used by Isis are Saudi in origin and how the beliefs of Isis were exported from Saudi. But really that constitutes another thread. Start one by all means.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Jan-20 16:41:35

It doesn't matter if there was a threat, if it was truth or theory- He's dead- As are 176 others that perished in the crash and 56 more trampled to death in the stampede- How many lives were saved? Zero-

trisher Sun 12-Jan-20 16:47:03

rosecarmel I think as long as none of those are US lives we are expected to ignore them. I do wonder if we were to count up the numbers of people killed in the Middle East as a direct result of the Iraq war how many it would amount to. Millions probably. More civilians die in wars now than any serving in the military of all countries

Opal Sun 12-Jan-20 16:58:51

silverlining the Americans took responsibility immediately in 1988, not sure where you got your information from?

In regards to your first question, I'd rather believe the USA than the Iranians anyday. The latter is an evil regime.

suziewoozie Sun 12-Jan-20 17:04:22

Opal it wasn’t anywhere near as straightforward as that and compensation took years before it was paid.

trisher Sun 12-Jan-20 17:09:41

Opal The US denied at first then acknowledged within a few hours but continued to assert that their warship was not in Iranian waters when in factthere is evidence to show it was. I suppose if you want to believe lies that's up to you.

lemongrove Sun 12-Jan-20 17:11:50

It’s all connected trisher ( Shia) doesn’t need another thread.

It us indeed an evil regime in Iran Opal which is why the young there are protesting and hoping for change.

MerylStreep Sun 12-Jan-20 17:16:25

Wonderful video on line showing the students refusing to walk over the US and Israelly flag.
The powers that be painted the flags on the ground in the entrance to their university.
These are the people who are going to change things.

Opal Sun 12-Jan-20 17:17:42

The point is the USA acknowledged it quickly! It amazes me how some posters on here are obviously so anti-USA, but will not criticise the Iranians. Their ruling regime is evil, they are a rogue state and are always sabre-rattling. We are a western civilisation and have far more in common with the USA than any of the Middle Eastern states - we share values, democracy and freedoms that are scorned by Iran. As a woman, where would any of you rather live - the USA or Iran? No contest. Wake up.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jan-20 17:25:03

Opal well said.

JC has still not condemned the Iranians for shooting down the plane (perhaps he is thinking of his future career on Iranian State TV)

MerylStreep Sun 12-Jan-20 17:29:34

The way things are looking in Iran there are posters here who will be out of step with the majority of the Iranian population.
A bit like Jeramy Corbyn in his own country ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jan-20 18:52:06

MerylStreepgrin

trisher Sun 12-Jan-20 22:38:17

Amazing isn't it question the US and you are immediately accused of supporting the Iranian regime. It isn't supporting a regime to question the veracity of another country's statements. It is simply looking for the truth. And the US has always had a very loose association with the truth. As for Iran of course there are human rights violations as there are in Saudi and in many other countries. Saudi provided more assistance to ISIS than any other country , but did the US act against them??
“Donors in Saudi Arabia constitute the most significant source of funding to Sunni terrorist groups worldwide,” the documents said. “While the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) takes seriously the threat of terrorism within Saudi Arabia, it has been an ongoing challenge to persuade Saudi officials to treat terrorist financing emanating from Saudi Arabia as a strategic priority …

“More needs to be done since Saudi Arabia remains a critical financial support base for al-Qaeda, the Taliban, LeT, and other terrorist groups, including Hamas, which probably raise millions of dollars annually from Saudi sources.”
But has anyone from Saudi been targeted? I really wish people would begin to question the US demonisation of some regimes and complete acceptance of the same standards in others.
It is apparently "out of step" to think that the main hope for the relaxation of regulation in Iran could be made through opening up to tourism and visitors which was happening. The students may be acting but I very much fear that what will result is a clamping down and a reintroduction of repressive measures. I hope the result will be more freedoms but I very much doubt it.

gmarie Sun 12-Jan-20 23:25:04

Agree with trisher and I live in the US. My point of view is that at the bottom all, it's always about money, greed and oil but we people get "tricked" into arguing with one-another.

rosecarmel Mon 13-Jan-20 03:30:51

I want to agree that it's about money and greed- And oil, too-

But a considerable portion of the President's base support understand that the current upswing in the economy isn't benefiting their families directly or is hurting them-

MerylStreep Mon 13-Jan-20 19:42:18

trisha
Lindsey Hilsum ( Chanel 4) has commented ( from Beruit) that the young people are chanting that there is no future for them in Iran.

trisher Mon 13-Jan-20 21:22:57

So what do you think will happen MerylStreep some sort of rebellion? I would say that the young people can chant what they like. It won't necessarily cause change. There will I think be some real clamp downs. There is a strong belief in fundamental Islam amongst some Iranians and they will continue to dominate. I may be completely wrong but actually I can see some real retrograde steps happening now.