Gransnet forums

News & politics

Australian Fire Relief - donate here

(23 Posts)
oscaro11 Sat 11-Jan-20 12:33:47

My daughter emigrated to Sydney two years ago. As a family we have donated to: Wires- wildlife rescue in NSW; the rural fire service plus individual donations to two volunteer fire fighters who have been killed and left one pregnant wife plus one with very young children. We have also donated directly to the McQuarrie Koala sanctuary. My daughter asked for this instead of Christmas and birthday presents. As a family, we feel this is what we want to do as these organisations which all rely on voluntary contributions are doing amazing work.

Over Christmas we are bombarded in this country with advertisements telling us to donate to causes abroad so why wanting to donate to Australia for once is an issue for some I do not understand. It is individual choice and I am 100% happy to donate to these causes where you can actually see the money being put to good use rather than frittered away on schemes that benefit nobody but make celebs feel good about themselves.

Daisymae Wed 08-Jan-20 17:48:53

I have already donated directly to an animal charity staffed by part timers who are working very hard to help animals in such distress. I don't care how rich Australia is, I wished to help a little. Good on you for raising the issue.

JenniferEccles Wed 08-Jan-20 17:44:16

Maybe Australia’s foreign aid budget has dropped because their government was determined not to waste billions on already wealthy countries with space programmes like China and India, or others with corrupt leaders.

I wish our government would follow suit.

Chestnut Wed 08-Jan-20 16:58:33

Suzywoozie: I can think of no reason at all why anyone should give a penny to Australia in the current situation.
I think the donations are for the homeless people and the animals, not for the Australian government (i.e 'Australia').
Maybe you should have said 'I can think of no reason at all why anyone should give a penny to people who have lost their homes and animals who are suffering and need medical treatment'

Callistemon Wed 08-Jan-20 11:27:08

Riverwalk your one reasonable post was in no way taking over

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jan-20 11:04:01

When people can’t get fire or flood insurance in wealthy countries then governments can legislate for insurance levy schemes ( I think we have a limited scheme in the UK for flood insurance). They can easily legislate now to help homeowners who couldn’t get insurance ( as opposed to chose not to).

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jan-20 11:00:26

Oh for goodness sake. Pearl clutching or what? If I lived in Oz I’m sure I would be doing what I could to help my fellow citizens. I’d also not be voting for a government that believed in low taxation and in an inadequate infrastructure. The Australian Government can very very easily raise the funds ( or print its own money) to buy all the help it needs. Its incredibly mean with its own foreign aid and very wealthy. It’s deluded to think they need a penny from me.

Riverwalk Wed 08-Jan-20 10:54:01

what a pity your well-meaning thread has been taken over.

Taken over? A couple of us merely giving our opinion that being a rich country Australia has more than the resources to help their citizens and animals.

People are free to donate what they like and others free to comment.

Callistemon Wed 08-Jan-20 10:52:31

I suppose donating to people in this country who lose everything through flood is wrong too

People cannot get insurance in areas of fire or flood risk and have lost everything. sad
Generosity of spirit is a wonderful human trait.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Jan-20 10:49:00

Suziwoozie I sincerely hope you are your family are never in need.

Callistemon Wed 08-Jan-20 10:47:58

Chestnut what a pity your well-meaning thread has been taken over.

I am sure people who wish to donate will
As I said, no-one is being forced to give.

If people wish, they could donate to help the Koala Hospitals either directly or through the WWF.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jan-20 10:35:15

Governments in wealthy countries have a responsibility to ensure that their citizens ( and animals) are cared for when disaster strikes. A more sensible tax take is one way to ensure this.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jan-20 10:33:14

Compassion ? Australia’s foreign aid budget has plummeted over recent years to only 0.21% which is shocking for such a wealthy country . I can think of no reason at all why anyone should give a penny to Australia in the current situation. As I said above, offering advice and expertise as short term help is one thing but actual cash?

Callistemon Wed 08-Jan-20 10:29:14

No, it hasn't but other "foreigners" have been generous in their help.

The Canadians, the New Zealanders, the Americans and individuals from other countries too have sent aid, but so far not the UK helping a member of the Commonwealth.

This is not a Government begging.
It is people helping people and animals.

Riverwalk Wed 08-Jan-20 10:26:08

Lots of people on here donate to disasters but usually, I'm guessing, it would be for people in poorer countries.

As Suzie says Australia is very wealthy.

I have two brothers who live in Sydney and they're involved in local fund-raising. Has the government in Oz asked for outside donations?

Callistemon Wed 08-Jan-20 10:26:07

Suziew
No-one is forcing you to donate

compassion?
Sadly seems to be lacking

Oldwoman70 Wed 08-Jan-20 10:21:30

I have family in Australia (fortunately not affected by the fires) and they have told me many stories of the way people are helping each other. I have sent money to them to add to the money they are donating to help those who have lost everything.

A man was on local radio this morning who has just 2 suitcases of belongings left - everything else, his home, his business is gone. His friends who he lived alongside for many years are now scattered and he doubts he will ever be able to move back to the area he had lived in.

A little compassion is in order suziewoozie

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jan-20 10:21:24

I stand by my point that a rich country that chooses to be low tax and not invest in its emergency services sufficiently can fund its own responses to the current situation . Why should we send money to them? They have plenty of their own. Sending experts to advise would be different but not money. The government could easily levy an emergency tax but it won’t .

Callistemon Wed 08-Jan-20 10:11:29

suziewoozie
Other Commonwealth countries have sent help. I do not think the UK has sent any aid.
If we wish to contribute we will

I hope many of us are better than your remark would imply.
Why should anyone give another a helping hand?
Because some of us care.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Jan-20 10:03:11

This is a disaster for the planet, it is being reported that 1.2billion animals have perished, whole species have become extinct.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Jan-20 09:56:32

Australia is a rich country with a low tax economy - I really don’t understand why donations are being requested from outside the country itself.

Chestnut Wed 08-Jan-20 09:52:49

I'm sure there are other places to donate but this seems to be going directly to where it's needed.

I hope someone will make a comment otherwise this thread will be lost before anyone sees it!

Chestnut Wed 08-Jan-20 09:43:14

In case you want to donate to the Australian fire relief but don't know where:
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/news-and-media/general-news/how-you-can-help