Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well done to William & Kate .....

(103 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 20-Jan-20 20:32:46

..... they, plus Edward, Sophie and Princess Anne, are doing the country proud this evening.

Millie22 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:11:35

GrannyLaine
I agree you are so right about how mothers can feel.

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Jan-20 23:03:34

I got chatting to a Norland nanny in a local shop a few years ago.

She looked immaculate in her brown dress and hat, and sounded as aristocratic as her employers!

Amongst many other obvious childcare issues they are trained to drive at speed to avoid the possible kidnapping of their little charges!

trisher Fri 24-Jan-20 22:14:24

GrannyLaine of course childcare is under paid and undervalued it ties in with the whole ethos of this country which is that only things which make money are valuable, and should be paid more. (Although Kate's Norland nanny will be costing her around £65,000 a year} I agree we can only do our best which is why trying to pretend that she shares any real experience with those mothers she was visiting is so unnecessary. I didn't work when my children were babies but I try to appreciate the problems of women today who have to, although I can't say my experience was in any way similar, any more than she can.

Jabberwok Fri 24-Jan-20 21:15:18

And Nannies, Staff for every eventuality. No hoovering or hanging washing for her, as for nappies? Don't think so!!
I think Katherine and William make a lovely couple and will make an excellent Queen and King.
GrannyLaine flowers for you too!

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Jan-20 21:11:44

Trisher I made no such claim. We are all dealt a very different hand of cards. We can only do the best we can with what we have whether we work outside the home or not. But I wonder if the term 'proper quality affordable childcare' isn't something of an oxymoron in this country - childcare is low paid and undervalued.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jan-20 21:01:01

But Megan is soooo wealthy , home in Windsor, home in Canada yet she is only existing ,

trisher Fri 24-Jan-20 20:30:42

I believe much the same was said about Diana and look what happened to that marriage

trisher Fri 24-Jan-20 20:30:03

Hardly the model of the SAHM is she GrannyLaine? Isn't she a 'working Royal" ? Even then not the same as a woman working who struggles with paying for childcare and keeping her work skills up to date because she needs to work to pay the mortgage. I suspect most of the women with babies would find life much simpler and less of a problem if they had proper quality affordable childcare. It's fine to say women have shared experiences but let's not pretend that economic circumstances don't make some of those experiences much easier to deal with because if we do we are letting down those women who need support and help more than others. It's not devaluing SAHMs by the way to think good child care is important .

Jane10 Fri 24-Jan-20 20:22:43

GrannieLaine
I always like the way that Catherine's smile is genuine. You can see it in her eyes and she gives people her whole attention.

tickingbird Fri 24-Jan-20 20:17:43

Granny Laine

Anniebach Fri 24-Jan-20 20:05:17

Well said GrannyLaine

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Jan-20 20:03:20

Thank you janipat flowersI am honoured Jabberwok flowers

Jabberwok Fri 24-Jan-20 19:46:51

I like your post too grannyLaine, particularly as my Great Grandmother was known as Granny Lane! Lane being her surname. Yours as well I guess!!

janipat Fri 24-Jan-20 19:44:09

Well said GrannyLaine!

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Jan-20 19:42:18

Thank you very much Bridgeit. flowers

Callistemon Fri 24-Jan-20 19:42:05

I like your post GrannyLaine

Bridgeit Fri 24-Jan-20 19:36:41

I like women like you & your comments GrannyLaine. Brilliant.

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Jan-20 19:31:22

I like women who can respect differences and who don't make the naive assumption that being wealthy cancels out all the anxieties that becoming a parent brings. It brings its own set of challenges and organisational responsibilities. I like women who choose to educate themselves about what makes life better not just for their own children but for children everywhere. I like women who are brave enough to choose being stay at home Mums when the whole of society makes them feel that they SHOULD be going out to work and leaving someone else to take care of their children. I like women who choose to work because they feel it is in their best interests and the best interests of her family. There are parts of motherhood that are common to us all and I applaud the Duchess of Cambridge for connecting with us all on that basis.

janipat Fri 24-Jan-20 19:27:44

Not quite what you were saying earlier though is it? Do you still stand by your assertion that she was lying to say she felt lonely and isolated? I may be wrong but I think you'd have pulled her up for saying that any part of her privileged lifestyle and royal duties were onerous. I feel quite sure you'd have suggested she found out was onerous meant in terms of other women's lifestyles. But if I'm totally wrong and you would genuinely have respected her then I apologise for the thought.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jan-20 19:27:39

Like Megan speaking to black S.A. girls,

I Am here as a mother, a a wife, as a woman, as a woman of
colour, as your sister.

trisher Fri 24-Jan-20 19:17:05

There is a difference by the way between saying this is my experience and it's the same and as yours, and listening to what you are told and sympathising.

trisher Fri 24-Jan-20 19:13:42

I like women who take responsibility for their own lives. I don't think it helps women raising children in a difficult economic climate when someone who has not only childcare but enough money to insulate herself from all circumstances tries to make out her experience is anything like theirs. Now if she had admitted that actually she found leaving the baby with the nanny difficult or that any part of her privileged life style and royal duties was onerous I would have more respect and hope for her. She may have been lonely but she could have had family to stay, she could afford to visit,she had nanny and most of the women she was talking to wouldn't have those options.

janipat Fri 24-Jan-20 18:42:07

And yet trisher you seem to praise Meghan and think she can relate to experiences so far outside her own. You don't have to like Catherine, but your prejudice against her lets you call her a liar, which you have still not justified or withdrawn. You criticise people who don't like Meghan and use that dislike in their criticisms of her, no consistency. You'll give her 5-10 years, so a bit longer than some of Meghan's critics are giving her. I wish both couples happy lives.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jan-20 18:39:36

You hoping she will have a breakdown trisher ? I’m glad I
am not into sisterhood, will leave it to the likes of you

trisher Fri 24-Jan-20 18:32:54

That's ok janipat . She can feel whatever she likes what she can't do is claim her life experience with a new baby was in any way like the lives of the women using the centre. I don't like her. I don't think her smile is real and I think she will eventually crack under the strain of maintaining a front. I'll give her 5-10 years.