Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you or friends, children or grand-children or other loved ones- likely to be filed as terrorist?

(66 Posts)
jura2 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:33:09

Under new Rules instigated by the Government via Priti Patel?

jura2 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:15:43

''Jura - I’ve just read on another thread that you’re resident in Switzerland. Pray tell, what have our politics to do with you?''

there are many Brits who currently live abroad and are entitled to vote, like my husband and myself- a few others on GN. Dependent totally on UK pensions and with very strong familial links to the UK, property in the UK, etc. This is 'my' politics just as much as it is yours, thanks. I lived in the UK since 1970 and am British since 1973 btw.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:31:59

I think somebody's been reading the Daily Fail again!

May I recommend this instead (at least it's funny):

www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

MerylStreep Thu 23-Jan-20 08:31:30

Vegansrock
I had a few words with the Home Secretary on Saturday when she was in my town. If I had heard or read your statement that Shamina Begum was returning to the uk I would have challenged her on it.
As I didn't know, I'm contacting her to try and find the truth.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:25:35

Evidence of Shamima Begums return please Vegansrock, as this "urban myth" has been doing the rounds on twitter for months and is regularly disproved.

vegansrock Thu 23-Jan-20 07:55:51

So it should be extremist individuals who should be targeted not the whole organisation.
I surprise the hang em and flog em brigade on here aren’t up in arms about Shamima Begum returning to the U.K., oh no it’s been hushed up by our dear government.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 23:41:24

How does Scotland stand with regard to these rules, paddyann?
I presume, like Wales, they will apply and for the whole of the UK and are not devolved.

paddyanne Wed 22-Jan-20 23:37:58

I dont think Jura does live full time in Switzerland and as far as I remember both she and her husband worked and lived in England for decades ..in fact its because she has issues with her state pension that I remember that.
Her opinion on WM politics and policies are as valid as yours .or mine though thats disputable by someon here as I'm a Scottish nationalist and we're supposed to shut up and get back in the box as far as WM is concerned!!

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 23:30:21

But these are New Rules

Should we not be informed about them?
How come some are privy to them and others not?

What if I inadvertently break these New Rules?

Oopsminty Wed 22-Jan-20 23:23:18

It's a non story

There is no story

Chewbacca Wed 22-Jan-20 23:22:38

Not yet Callistemon, but if you want any hysteria and misplaced outrage, there's plenty of that available?

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 23:14:38

I am still not sure exactly what these new rules entail so if someone could provide a link to the facts (not opinions) I would be grateful.

The references to ER, Greenpeace etc being on a list are inaccurate and the result of a report sent to police Forces in the SE which has now been rescinded.

Does anyone have any accurate information? Please?

Galaxy Wed 22-Jan-20 23:04:28

Wasnt not want.

Galaxy Wed 22-Jan-20 23:03:22

The poster I was referring to want pulling her up on her use of pronouns. They said what have our politics to do with you.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Jan-20 22:38:25

Galaxy
'If' I were to refer to Canada I wouldn't continuously be referring to my country or my government because it's not, I don't live there. Jura2 always uses the possessive pronoun when talking about the uk when she lives continuously in Switzerland.

Galaxy Wed 22-Jan-20 22:06:26

I didn't realise that being in a different country stopped you commenting on things. Someone needs to have a quick word with all the people talking about Canada on the Harry and Meghan threads.

M0nica Wed 22-Jan-20 22:01:53

Callistomen, you have put your finger on it. It is a danger for any organisation that organises demonstrations and the larger the movement the greater the ease of infiltration. However peaceful ER is, and I have no doubts that it is peaceful. Neverthe less there has been violence and behaviour like that mentioned by Lemongrove at most of its demonstrations. probably initiated by extremists with, ultimately, very different aims.

The danger is not that we ban all dissent, and anyone who really thinks that we do is living in cloud cuckoo land. The danger is that we allow to flourish, without investigation, every populist movement that has what can best be described as a benign aim (global warming, animal protection, organic farming) and ignore the activitists within it, who use the cloak of respectability belonging to the group they belong to, to pursue a separate agenda of disruption and violence for quite separate political ends.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 21:17:23

I agree Chewbacca

Hetty58 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:40:54

To answer the OP's question - No! (ridiculous).

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:39:20

Chewbacca totally agree ?

Chewbacca Wed 22-Jan-20 20:36:16

It must be utterly exhausting to live in a perpetual state of high anxiety about all the possibilities- that worries some people. Personally, I would rather that me and my loved ones be investigated by our security forces if that means that our national and international security is increased; if we are able to go about our daily business without wondering whether the bridge we're crossing is safe. Or if the tube station we're waiting in is safe. Or the music venue we're in is safe. If any individual or collective group is checked, surely that's a tiny price to pay if it means that we all get to live without worrying whether we are safe in a public place. Or do you prefer living a life in heightened anxiety? hmm

ExperiencedNotOld Wed 22-Jan-20 20:34:21

Jura - I’ve just read on another thread that you’re resident in Switzerland. Pray tell, what have our politics to do with you?

lucywinter Wed 22-Jan-20 20:30:08

Oh God! Not another XR versus rest-of-the-world thread. hmm

SalsaQueen Wed 22-Jan-20 20:10:03

Jura You're in Switzerland, aren't you?

MawB Wed 22-Jan-20 20:04:54

I notice you've conveniently forgotten the xr protesters climbing on the roof of a train at Canning Town holding up thousands of good honest folk just trying to get to work by public transport.
Ironic doesn’t come close hmm

vegansrock Wed 22-Jan-20 19:56:58

merylstreep I didn’t forget that, and XR condemned it. A Brexit party supporter did the same thing. Was arrested.