Gransnet forums

News & politics

Selling the fur from dead koalas

(23 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 23-Jan-20 08:33:36

I switched the tv on this morning and saw a young man who wants to sell garments made from the fur of dead koalas to raise money for the surviving animals. A rather smug young man who apparently appeared on the Apprentice.

He believes that it would be a memorial to those dead animals. Would anyone buy such a garment?

Yehbutnobut Thu 23-Jan-20 08:41:13

No

Bathsheba Thu 23-Jan-20 08:44:27

No! For God's sake let the poor creatures have a little more dignity than that!

TerriBull Thu 23-Jan-20 09:16:34

No! definitely not, so sad that so much of Australia's unique wildlife has been destroyed, not the way to remember them. Fur should only be worn by the animal inside anyway sad

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jan-20 09:18:52

It seems quite a practical idea to me, and I'm sure there would be plenty who would buy.

SueSocks Thu 23-Jan-20 09:30:30

No. Find this idea repulsive.

rafichagran Thu 23-Jan-20 09:35:46

I would not wear the fur myself, but cannot get het up about it, the animals are dead and if the money is given to charity. No waste there.

Jane10 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:39:32

No no no no no!

Septimia Thu 23-Jan-20 09:41:10

Very bad taste. OK, so the proceeds go to a good cause, but I wouldn't buy anything like that.

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Jan-20 09:41:27

Fur is fur.
I would no longer wear it.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:44:32

Selling any fur at all just promotes a market for it - so no!

timetogo2016 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:46:08

No no no no.
What an arse hole he is wanting to make money out of a disaster.
If he really wants to give how about his time.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 10:14:16

No.
I just checked him out - oh, yes, I watched a couple of episodes and remember him as a very strange person.

A repulsive idea. Besides which, on a practical level, koala fur would not be suitable and could be burnt anyway. Poor creatures.

Several charities including WWF are offering aid and donations would be welcome as it is going to take a long time to nurse animals affected by the fires back to health and populations may never recover in the wild.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Jan-20 10:36:38

I’m surprised that the fur would have been in a good enough condition to sell.

Squiffy Thu 23-Jan-20 10:37:31

I worry that, if there is a market for the fur of the already dead koalas, how long will it be before some despicable individual decides to profit by killing healthy koalas? angry sad

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 10:38:20

Its use is banned anyway.
The Apprentice throws up some very strange people. He says his circle of friends thought it was a good idea.

TerriBull Thu 23-Jan-20 11:18:36

Ahh! I've seen who The Apprentice person is............it all makes sense nowhmm I did rather hope the odious, self opinionated 'anker aspiring young businessman would wander off into the sunset with his female counterpart, Lottie. A union made in hell if ever there was one. If I remember rightly her daft idea was some exclusive club for "countrywomen", maybe such women would contemplate wearing bits of Koala, fashioned by "laydee" stylist Mark whatisface. Although it could be a long haul until he turns a profit, Empires weren't built in a day! I can almost imagine the brow of his mentor furrowing even more deeply than usual, at such a prospect, if that's at all possible!

Dee1012 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:25:17

TerriBull....love it!

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 18:29:44

I would love to know what Alan Sugar's response was!!

The amazing thing is that this Mark Wotsit says he has a circle of friends who all thought this was a good idea.
Are they all like him I wonder?

phoenix Thu 23-Jan-20 18:34:11

But, just to throw something into the mix, what about using the fur as blankets for orphaned koalas?

Callistemon Thu 23-Jan-20 18:57:50

Baby ones live in pouches, good idea phoenix, we could start a business making pouches for orphaned baby animals from the skins of their dead parents.

For anyone about to jump in and castigate me, I am not serious.
Just angry and sad

phoenix Thu 23-Jan-20 19:11:58

Not a business Callistemon as I'm sure you meant, just something that might help the orphans. If the person with the bright idea would like to turn it round to doing some good with no thought of profit...........

Dinahmo Thu 23-Jan-20 20:48:46

this morning he used the argument that most people ear leather in some form or other and when told that it was a byproduct of eating meat and to many people was acceptable his response was why weren't we all feeling sorry for the cows.
There was a lady on the programme to give the opposite point of view and the presenters agreed with her.

Perhaps this young man will go the same way as the disgraced extreme right winger Milo Yiannopolous who is now broke and living in Australia.