Gransnet forums

News & politics

Poverty in the UK - disappearing according to Boris

(233 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 23-Jan-20 21:02:50

Yesterday on PMQs the the Tory ranks were ebullient over the PMs treatment of Corbyn who was on the attack over poverty. Johnson said that poverty had dimihished by 400,000. The Resolution Foundation's senior economic advisor struggled to find anything to back it up.

As you probably know, Greggs did well last year and have given their workers a £300 bonus. If they earn over £12,500 the rules relating to Universal Credit will see most of this taken away from them. A point that Johnson didn't understand. So we have a PM who is so wealthy that he cannot understand how the poorer people manage - not to live but just to exist. Some of them can't even do that.

Hetty58 Fri 24-Jan-20 09:13:49

'Relative poverty' is a measure of wealth that's compared to the average in a society. It's far more useful than the mere survival measure (where we're rich or poor depending on location).

Barmeyoldbat Fri 24-Jan-20 09:14:56

vegansrock a good post. How on earth can you say poverty has decreased when we have food banks, baby banks and the homeless sleeping in the streets, tents and families living in one room. This country is a disgrace on how we treat our people and that is down to the government.

Hetty58 Fri 24-Jan-20 09:26:06

Exactly Barmey! We're a rich country where our treatment of the poor is abysmal!

Hetty58 Fri 24-Jan-20 09:28:54

fullfact.org/economy/poverty-uk-guide-facts-and-figures/

Dinahmo Fri 24-Jan-20 09:41:00

Ladymuck Labour did badly at the elections because the people that switched from the LP to the Tories believed Johnson. Just before the election 3 middle aged men sharing a bed sit in Bolton were interviewed (Channel 4 I think) They were living away from their homes, on zero hours contracts and intended to vote for Boris because "he'd see them alright"

Believe it or not Labour supporters come from 3 diverse groups. The urban, comfortably off, well educated middle class, immigrants and young people. These people are inspired to do good for others, not just for themselves.

I despise people like Johnson and Cummings who are only out for what they can get and give no thought to those in poverty. Before anybody accuses me of being jealous of their wealth, I'm not.

Grany Fri 24-Jan-20 09:53:55

The fact that in 2020 many people are worse off than in 1950s when food rationing still existed.
It seems that the government is leaving people to go hungry but is relying on the British public to plug the gaps it has left behind.
More than a million people are not just poor and food poor but effectively desitiute.
Access to food banks is controlled by a referral system then provided with vouchers to take to food bank. Many place limits on how frequently clients can visit.

The Trussel Trust distributed 87,496 to children during school holidays when they miss out on free school meals.

Professor Philip Alston, the UN special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights made a visit to the UK.
He said the government is in a state of denial

Found in a WI magazine a lot of WIs are helping out at food banks and are trying to persuade the government to stop austerity gave people a living wage so people don't end up in poverty and end insecure employment zero hours contracts.

Do you know that Tories count people who only work one hour in two weeks as working so much for increased employment figures Ha.

Anyone on here that said the people who support Labour are being critical of this government Johanson
Well the fact is that is true Tories brought in Austerity measures even though it was not needed they knew it would make people poor and affect well being.

Daisymae Fri 24-Jan-20 10:08:13

You can't have such drastic cuts to the benefit sector and correlate with a reduction in poverty. Many people fall into poverty when their health prevents them from working. The safety net has been taken away from many. The suffering us real and it's at the hands of this government.

Grany Fri 24-Jan-20 10:10:27

A lot of the causes of poverty is because of changes to benefits and universal credit having to wait five weeks for your money.

The system was supposed to be set up and running in by April 2017 but has faced several delays and not expected to be fully operational until December 2023

Yehbutnobut Fri 24-Jan-20 10:17:32

I watched PQT and was shocked by Boris’ ignorance and his performance...because that’s what he was doing, performing, playing to the benches behind him.

He’s a absolute moron.

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 10:18:05

It was tough in the olden days …

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 10:26:50

Yehbutnobut You're absolutely right. He was playing to an audience and knew he could get away with it. There was no substance to what he was saying. I hope everybody on minimum wage and/or claiming any means tested benefit was watching and realised that he really doesn't give a stuff about them. Approximately 70% of the population receives some form of benefit at some point in their life.

Davidhs Fri 24-Jan-20 10:28:39

The official poverty line is half the median wage around £15000 per year an older person or couple could usually manage on that, the problem is single parents or couples with children, especially when employment is difficult. By far the largest cost is housing, rents are far too expensive, to pay the rent, food is got from food banks and of course if free food is available it will be used. Rents need to be controlled no doubt, it is very hard for councils to find suitable accommodation for everyone, controlling rents will make that worse.

Homelessness is a different issue, relationship breakdown depression and mental illness are the factors here, poverty line is not relevant if you’re living on the street. Of course we need more hostels.

There are always going to be a large proportion of children in poverty because the level of single parent families is so high, no government is going to cure that, certainly not the Tories.

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 10:53:11

Aha! So it's all the fault of single parents, is it?

Some ideas for those who believe in meritocracy …

How about the state claiming back 100% of a person's estate upon death, so no child starts life with inherited wealth and nobody benefits from a dead ancestor's hard work? According to you, the most able would rise to the top.

How about guaranteeing an income for life based on a person's educational achievements? The most hard working would then be rewarded for their efforts.

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 10:54:02

Davidhs With all due respect, I really don't think you understand homelessness.

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 11:16:09

Poverty in the UK: a guide to the facts and figures:

fullfact.org/economy/poverty-uk-guide-facts-and-figures/

Ilovecheese Fri 24-Jan-20 11:19:43

To say that the minimum wage should just be enough to afford the basics is not sensible in our economy. Our society relies on trade, on us being able to buy things from each other and from other countries. Now there is probably an argument to be made that this model is not sustainable but at the moment that is what we have.
A great many businesses rely on customers having that bit of disposable income to enable them to buy their products. (Not just the alcohol and tobacco industries that some on here think are the main beneficiaries of anything above the breadline). It is better for our economy if more people at the lower end of the income scale have extra money because they will actually spend it and help the wheels of commerce, not squirrel it away in an offshore tax haven.
Therefore, reducing poverty will help all of us as a nation and would be sensible as well as compassionate.

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 12:00:30

Good point! Anybody would think people would prefer to have millions of people on a subsistence income, relying on bartering a few eggs for a bag of flour (or whatever). People with any wealth at all would end up living in a gated community for their own protection. That's what some third world countries are like, but I thought the UK was supposed to be above that.

Greta Fri 24-Jan-20 12:28:42

I find it shocking that in 2020 some people believe that poverty is somehow 'deserved'. I am forever reminded of ”there for the grace of God...”. I was lucky: born into a caring family, good health, good education, good employment. Yes, I worked hard but without the aforementioned my life would have been very different.

Poverty is degrading. But we are a tolerant society and we tolerate it.

growstuff Fri 24-Jan-20 12:35:40

Initially, I think I misunderstood your last sentence Greta. I agree that most people in the UK are relatively tolerant. Maybe we're too tolerant. I don't believe we should tolerate poverty and increasing inequality as the norm. Unfortunately, there are some who don't seem to tolerate the poor as worthy of a decent existence and they blame them for their situation.

Greta Fri 24-Jan-20 12:48:40

Sorry growstuff, I didn't express myself clearly. I think tolerance is a good thing but not when we tolerate and turn a blind eye/cover up issues that should not be tolerated. I feel poverty is just such an issue.

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Jan-20 12:50:44

There has always been poverty here and in every other country, and there always will be as long as we have a sub class of people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions and lifestyle.

Yes of course there are those in genuine need who quite rightly are helped by the Welfare State until such time as they are able to look after themselves, but as we all know that is not the whole story.

All the time we have those who for instance insist on producing child after child when they are struggling to support even themselves, nothing will change.

The government is not responsible for those who expect someone, anyone, to support whatever lifestyle they chose.

craftyone Fri 24-Jan-20 13:02:05

JE I agree with all of your post. What helped my family out of poverty was the stability of 2 hard working parents and a mum who knew how to stretch a penny plus of course the willingness to work at school. Poverty these days is relative and can be self-inflicted

EllanVannin Fri 24-Jan-20 13:04:47

It's we the public who've created the poverty among many.

From 2000 onwards it's been a dog eat dog society and the knock-on effect has been disastrous.

House sales started off by selling at ridiculously high prices, then companies cashed in by increasing their prices because they could see that if someone was prepared to purchase a silly-priced home they can afford a higher price to heat it and so on. Utility companies upped their prices too.

Then the renters jumped on the bandwagon charging what they liked and people still paid this higher rent which included extortionate rents for businesses etc.

Before you knew it economists were rubbing their hands, refusing to see further than their noses that there were others in society who weren't doing as well, working or not.

Instead of people banding together and refusing to pay such high prices for everything we've all gone along paying up and saying nothing forgetting/ignoring those who are left behind. Insidious snobbery in society is part of the problem towards those who are living in poverty.

PernillaVanilla Fri 24-Jan-20 13:10:23

@ladymuck " A less well-educated person has to accept a lower standard.
The minimum wage should be enough to live on but without luxuries."

Being well educated doesn't always equate with higher pay. Many care workers who are very experienced and qualified to level 3 with additional add ons in Dementia etc. earn little more than this. are you seriously suggesting that the wonderful people who support people at end of life should be required to live "without luxuries"? It is often those who are least well paid that make the most difference.

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Jan-20 13:16:09

Absolutely craftyone
You clearly had good parents who did what was necessary to provide for their family.

Some on here of course still maintain it’s all the wicked government’s fault if the feckless fall on hard times.