Gransnet forums

News & politics

INDEPENDENCE DAY!

(559 Posts)
Lyndiloo Thu 30-Jan-20 04:35:37

Hurrah! We're getting OUT at last!

But it seems strange to me that there is so little talk/news on the media about this. Before the General Election everything was about Brexit. To the point that even I got sick to death of it! But it's all gone quiet since then. Are there to be no celebrations from all those who voted to leave? (Sad that Big Ben won't even mark this historic event.)

(I was talking to a young woman the other day, and she didn't even know that we were leaving the EU on Friday!)

I can't really celebate in style, as most of my family wanted to remain -otherwise I would have had a party! So it will be a bit of a damp squib for me!

I shall still open a bottle of champers and toast this great country of ours - our democracy, our integrity - and now, at last, our freedom from a corrupt and self-serving feudalistic state.

lemongrove Mon 03-Feb-20 21:44:21

Send Mr Barmeyoldbat round here please, ?
In return for his ironing skills I can guarantee cake.cupcake

eazybee Mon 03-Feb-20 20:52:53

If you really want to go, just leave. It is perfectly simple.

I left mumsnet several years ago because I was very angry about a post of mine which was deleted, and I have never felt the slightest inclination to revisit.

Smileless2012 Mon 03-Feb-20 19:56:29

What was your point Reddevil?

I wish I could get Mr. S. to do some of my ironing Barmeyoldbatenvy

GracesGranMK3 Mon 03-Feb-20 19:24:37

Oh if only the political threads were worthy of being called "a good verbal bun fight".

Barmeyoldbat Mon 03-Feb-20 19:08:37

Lemongrove, my husband does all the ironing in this house.

Reddevil3 Mon 03-Feb-20 11:31:12

Smileless You misread my remark about leavers probably not wanting to travel past Dover. You missed the point.

Curlywhirly Mon 03-Feb-20 11:23:13

Jura2, so sorry, I obviously misunderstood your post. Sorry to hear that you want to leave; although I seldom make comments on the political threads, I do enjoy reading the several different views and find it quite educational at times. I will miss your contributions.

lemongrove Mon 03-Feb-20 10:41:28

We should all probably find better things to do with our time than potter about on social media.?
I have a large basket of ironing to get on with and gardening awaits.

Chestnut Mon 03-Feb-20 10:30:30

Sorry to hear you feel that way Jura2. I think it's fair to say the posters on the political threads enjoy a good verbal bun fight! You could always hide the political threads, but maybe you don't want to talk about cookery, gardening and the weather ? although there are plenty of other subjects.
I'm sure you can delete your account altogether if you ask Gransnet how to do this. Hope you find the best solution.

Callistemon Mon 03-Feb-20 10:20:04

I don't think GN will ban you unless you have been exceedingly naughty, jura but I'm not sure quite what the rules are these days.

You could delete your account but then you could still read but not contribute, rather like scratching a wound!

I hope you're not right and that they come to a sensible agreement.
We haven't got Keir Starmer because Corbyn refused to do the decent thing and resign and even then it would have been questionable.

jura2 Mon 03-Feb-20 10:02:50

curlywhirly, no, I asked to be banned from the whole site. It is not healthy, not pleasant, and achieves nothing, aparts from widening the divide even further. It is upsetting and painful- but more to the point, achieves absolutely nothing. After 40 years in UK, followed by 10 years dipping in and out, with all our family there and a property- I have huge affection for the country- the landscapes, the castles and gardens, but also the cities- but even more importantly, for the tolerance the openess, the SOH, the open and tolerant mix of cultures - and seeing what I so loved attacked, those values Trisher talked about- is truly painful and beyond sad. And for it to be all confirmed on a 'grannies' forum, even more so

No flouncing, just painful acceptation that this won't change and that I should respect my health and do much better things with my time. As for 'unsubscribing' - I have no idea how to do this on my tablet. The reason I'd like to be banned, is so I am not tempted to look, nor tempted to respond. Only came back tp pick up some lovey PMs. Leave you to it - but I will make a prediction, and we will see if it will happen. Boris and his ERG+ Cabinet- are just playing a game. They are pretending to cut a deal, but (heard that one before) setting such hard red lines, which the EU cannot possibly accept, like no checks between UK and NI. That will be very messy- and at the very end, days before the end of the transition period he will make an announcement 'we have tried so hard, ben over backwards, but the EU have refused to play our game and are being intransigeant, so we will go out with NO Deal' - and the next day, we will be virtual vassals of Trump and China, Russia and others too- with all the serious consequences on our industries and agriculture- and rubbish pouring in.

We urgently need a strong leader of the opposition with experience, and gravitas, like Keir Starmer- to confront this head on, insist on the Russian interference report to be published, and insist that a) promises made must be delivered and b) nothing is put in the way of a good deal with EU (which will always be much worse than what we had- but that boat has sailed)...

None of this will be achieved on GN, that is abundantly clear- so as far as I am concerned, no point anymore. Martyr did you say Merlot? How, where? Not asking for any sympathy, at all- just saying that there is no point. That is fair enough, no.

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 23:03:27

moon

GracesGranMK3 Sun 02-Feb-20 23:00:25

And it's sheer ignorance a) to correct someone and b) not to realise that predictive text on many types of machines will change made-up words.

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 22:51:58

So what....it’s deleted, just accept it.It’s childish to put a wrong username btw.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 02-Feb-20 22:37:59

They deleted it because someone made the same suggestion you did which was simply not true. Interesting that you repeat it in that we not, you say, having seen it lemongrow.

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 22:10:08

ExperiencedNotOld.......you get used to the gratuitous insults doled out by some posters on here after a while.hmm

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 02-Feb-20 22:09:08

Well GGMK3?

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 22:06:06

GGM3 I did not even see yet alone report your comment that was deleted by GNHQ, but they would not delete without a good reason, and you kept banging on about your use of the word cocaine, so it was a reasonable assumption.
I would suggest whoever reported it isn’t the numpty, but rather the poster who made the deletable comment in the first place.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 02-Feb-20 20:10:12

I am genuinely a newish member. I only joined in an attempt to understand what retirement could offer. The site has in no way helped with that dilemma, but it has made me wonder about too many things to mention connected with older age. I just abhor people that will only see their own side of things. I work as an information analyst which by necessity requires an understandIng of all aspects of a subject before making any recommendation.
I’m not altogether sure I’d like what was being inferred by being linked to this ‘gone for a while’ individual.

ananimous Sun 02-Feb-20 20:09:12

Yes hmm

GracesGranMK3 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:59:23

Does anyone else get the feeling that ENO reminds them of another poster who seems to have been gone for a while?

GracesGranMK3 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:50:55

Neither is suggesting that GNers are drug takers.

I'm not surprised it was you Lemongrove. However, nowhere did I suggest GNeters are drug takers. I did suggest the person who reported it was a numpty though. That now seems too kind.

Callistemon Sun 02-Feb-20 16:02:04

ENO I neither expressed an opinion not criticised, I merely posted some factual information.

Unfortunately ending up as piggy-in-the-middle.

However, I might have to disagree that you have to live an experience in order to have an opinion.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 02-Feb-20 15:47:40

Callistemon so... everyone has a back story but we don’t have to demand the future is arranged to suit us individually. IMHO unless you’re living the experience you have no right to an opinion.

Curlywhirly Sun 02-Feb-20 15:25:15

I think jura2 meant that she has asked for this thread to be banned, not herself!