Gransnet forums

News & politics

Alastair Stewart

(27 Posts)
Opal Thu 30-Jan-20 11:48:58

Yet another example of someone being hung out to dry for so-called "racism", when it's actually nothing to do with it. AS quotes Shakespeare, and suddenly he's a racist!. Absolutely ridiculous, it's political correctness gone mad yet again.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jan-20 20:24:25

Love it, Baggs grin

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 30-Jan-20 20:03:04

Actually, as silly as the context is, I do think that a newscaster should be above reproach, representing an apolitical stance in life just as they are required to on screen. They take good money and it should be part of the bargain. So yes, they should stay off of social media as it’s too reactive an environment.
However Piers Morgan does not represent himself as anything else than someone with a big opinion on more or less anything. I’d suggest that his screen appeal is that he’ll say the big bad things that some of his viewers wish they could say themselves - or take great horror in it being said.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 19:53:15

Oh dear, I keep thinking I've got over my cough then something I read has me choking again!

Baggs grin

Baggs Thu 30-Jan-20 19:46:33

This from @offshorebella made me ?

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 19:33:59

The Naked Ape and the Human Zoo - will they be banned?

A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal by zoologist and ethologist Desmond Morris^

lucywinter Thu 30-Jan-20 19:30:24

I think it's ridiculous, sacking him for that. Don't believe for one moment he meant anything by the "ape" bit. Think he should have his job back.

Baggs Thu 30-Jan-20 19:21:44

Just so, calli, and doesn't the hoo-ha illustrate the fact that, as a species, we are angry? Apes too when you think of our nearest 'cousin' species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans.

Stewart's employers should apologise and reinstate him.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 18:33:52

Will Measure for Measure now be banned as a text in schools and never to be performed again?

Martin Shapland's literary education is perhaps not as extensive as Alistair Stewart's.

Stewart may not have given the quote a thought in any context except the angry one.

Deedaa Thu 30-Jan-20 17:40:21

When I was at school we thought the idea of bowdlerising Shakespeare was really funny. Never thought I would live to see it look like a possibility.

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 14:00:31

I absolutely agree Kand It’s a real misjudgement in many cases to be on Twitter for them but they just see all the pluses without realising the minuses. Your enemies will be looking for trouble and in the short tweet world of Twitter, it’s all too easy to oblige them. And of course, screenshotting a tweet is an Olympic sport for some. Its the Wild West out there in the Twittersphere .It’s not true of everyone of course, I follow some well known interesting people but they tend to be one issue people and keep to that eg disability issues.

Kandinsky Thu 30-Jan-20 13:50:40

I really don’t think any one of importance should be on Twitter. It’s far too easy to get hung out to dry over nothing much at all, just complete misunderstandings.

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 13:46:08

If and it’s a big if eazy it were only that, I would agree with you. But surely it’s time the broadcasters in his category came off Twitter. I know a lot of professional people who have had to sign contracts at work re a social media policy. The other way round it is not to use your real name and hide who you are but people like AS wouldn’t then get many followers. If you are well known because of in this case being on TV then your name ( and who you work for) is part of your brand.

eazybee Thu 30-Jan-20 13:23:05

I am offended by the fact that he called Measure for Measure an outdated classical text, as I said.
He would learn something about misjudgement should he read it.

In common with most people I have occasionally been called unpleasant names, but no matter how offended I was, I would never, EVER want anyone to lose their job over it.

Bridgeit Thu 30-Jan-20 12:49:57

I think it’s because Piers Morgan owns everything, knows everything & is a self opinionated T - - t who attracts lots of viewers.

Doodledog Thu 30-Jan-20 12:49:40

Doodle it means people aren’t allowed to say and do whatever they want to and about whoever they want. It’s an absolutely dreadful idea.

So people will have to think about others when they say things? Some might have to re-phrase or add a few words to their vocabulary, so that they don't cause hurt to other people?

It'll never catch on.

eazybee, I am not at all in favour of bowdlerising Shakespeare, or of banishing classic texts because they are now outdated. I think that they should still be taught at school (and very definitely in Universities), but that some of them should be seen as what they are - products of their time, and expressions of beliefs which are no longer considered acceptable.

As with the Bible, some texts can be quoted selectively to make all manner of points that are not in keeping with modern ideas. The acceptability of wife-beating being an example. Few would agree that that is ok, but we don't ban the Bible, or Bible study.

Similarly, plays like the Merchant of Venice have some dodgy ideas about Jewish people, but if they are read in the context of the day, the play can be appreciated in that light. If the lines are quoted out of context, however, it is a very different matter, and the fact that 'it is Shakespeare' wouldn't make it acceptable.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:48:31

I have this really scary feeling that in my lifetime I will see the collective works of Dickens, Shakespeare and many other great authors works rewritten.

Jane10 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:42:34

How can Piers Morgan hang on to his job yet poor old Alistair Stewart is sacked?

Bridgeit Thu 30-Jan-20 12:41:16

It means in our efforts not to cause offence,that is what we inadvertently end up doing.!

eazybee Thu 30-Jan-20 12:37:21

I am more offended, incensed actually, by the comment of The Offended, Martin Shapland, who referred to the quote as coming from an 'outdated classical text.'

It is Shakespeare.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jan-20 12:13:08

It reminds me of the old song, Brush Up Your Shakespeare and they'll all kowtow. hmm

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 12:11:02

Doodle it means people aren’t allowed to say and do whatever they want to and about whoever they want. It’s an absolutely dreadful idea

Doodledog Thu 30-Jan-20 12:07:35

What does 'political correctness gone mad' actually mean, please? I keep hearing the phrase on here (well, seeing it, but you know what I mean), and I just don't get it.

If someone who uses it could explain it for me, I would be very grateful.

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 12:02:15

And it’s impossible to follow his full threads on Twitter because he’s been busy deleting

suziewoozie Thu 30-Jan-20 12:01:17

Here we go again - how do you know that the decision is based simply on this? Are you a senior executive at ITN? The statement talks about errors (plural). FWIW I think all broadcasters involved in news/politics/current affairs should just stay off Twitter.

crazyH Thu 30-Jan-20 11:57:16

The world is gone mad ? In all the 40+ years I've been here, I have never encountered any form of racism towards me or my family ?