Gransnet forums

News & politics

How will we measure the success of Brexit?

(247 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 31-Jan-20 16:29:02

Well we won’t know the terms of Brexit for another year, but I’m wondering how the marvellous benefits will be measured, and if they don’t happen will people ever accept that it wasn’t a good idea? Based on the promises that were made I can offer the following we should look for as a measure of success:
1. No border in the Irish Sea and no breaking of the GFA
2. £350 m a week for the NHS and the 40 new hospitals, thousands of new nurses
3. We should have parity in the number or quality of trade deals we manage to negotiate plus they should not be fewer or worse than the ones we have already with the EU.
If the above do not happen will anyone admit we have been lied to? Or will they just say it takes time - if so, how long do we have to wait for any benefits?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 17-May-20 18:13:32

Liz Trust is negotiating with the USA. Imagine a trade deal dependent on Liz Truss!!

varian Sun 17-May-20 18:05:12

A responsible government would apply to extend the transition periods and attempt to negotiate a very close future relationship with our closest European neighbours.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-May-20 20:13:13

What a wonderful excuse though. As when the economy takes another hit if we leave without a deal, they can blame it all on covid. Guarantee that is what will happen.

PamelaJ1 Sat 09-May-20 20:06:00

I’m sorry but coming in at this late stage I have to admit that I haven’t read many posts so this question may have already been asked.

How can we judge how Brexit is working after the devastation that is happening to our life and economy now? The fallout from the CV19 is going to keep many countries in a sorry state whether they are in the union or not.

Cindersdad Sat 09-May-20 18:30:05

When it goes wrong Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson prosecuted and banned from ever holding public office. Success if such a thing about Brexit can be seen will be a change in the voting system to PR, policicians held to account.

Ireland unified which would be a good thing.

Politcal advisers outlawed.

Davidhs Sat 09-May-20 18:15:30

So we do believe in thread reincarnation, honestly Brexit is out of the window, there’s no point speculating about anything we have no idea what the economy is going to be like. Brexit will be done and dusted under a Corona virus cloak and we are going to be in a far weaker position because of it.

The very best we can hope for is pandemic over and normal working, worry about the cost later.

MaizieD Sat 09-May-20 17:12:25

Just how does every person in the UK make this new status work?

Have you ever seen Peter Pan, Greta? Remember the bit where Tinkerbell is dying and to bring her back to life and strength everyone in the audience has to shout 'I believe in fairies'?

I think we have to do something very similar to 'make Brexit work'.

Greta Sat 09-May-20 14:13:40

The only way Brexit can be shown to succeed or fail is for every person in the UK (Leavers, Remainers and abstainers), to try their hardest to make this new status work.

Just how does every person in the UK make this new status work? What exactly do we do, do we just adopt blind faith?

varian Sat 09-May-20 13:00:05

The estimated cost of brexit by the end of 2019 was £130billion.

Looking back now we have been hit by a pandemic, it is an utter tragedy that that money was not spent in investing in our NHS. We should have followed the expert advice given in 2016 to stockpile PPE, ventilators, etc in preparation for a pandemic. It is an utter tragedy that the same bunch of idealogues who put brexit before everything else are running the country into the ground and yet still refuse to even ask for an extension to the transition period.

Whether because of their incompetence, or whether their strings are being pulled by the disaster capitalists who were behind brexit, the result is that we were totally unprepared and are likely to see the highest death rate in Europe, and probably the second highest in the world after the USA .

Everything has been too little too late. They ignored the WHO advice to test, test, test, actually stopping testing the public because of the lack of test capacity. They let everyone arriving at ports and airports sail through without any checks at all. They were far to slow to lockdown. They completely overlooked the care sector resulting in thousands more deaths.

But hey- they got brexit done.

patcaf Wed 05-Feb-20 15:59:14

I voted remain. There is nothing I could possibly do to thwart Brexit as it now stands. Will I support it - no I will not. I believe it was completely the wrong road for the UK and my children and grandchildren . It would also mean collaborating and agreeing with large numbers (perhaps the majority) of leave voters who are racist and xenophobic. Not for me.

Chestnut Tue 04-Feb-20 23:54:24

All rudeness is personal to someone and working around it by insulting a group is no better than insulting one person.
Well said! I have no idea what you're talking about but it sounds good.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 04-Feb-20 22:20:38

I think this lad has it measured already - she is ecstatic but has no idea why!

www.facebook.com/thejeremyvine/videos/854780464966395/

I genuinely believe that there are STILL folk out there that think that the 'immigrants' will be given their marching orders pretty soon, (the ones that have taken their jobs obviously) the 'illegals who take all our benefits and housing (how can they if here illegally??) and that the £345m will be ploughed into the NHS on a weekly basis on top of the 50,000 NEW Nurses, the 40 new hospitals; the 20,000 extra police (which is the number they CUT in the first place!

Anyway the lady on the video is very happy with her new found lot in life, so good for her!

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 21:11:18

Well said BoB.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 04-Feb-20 21:10:10

Or do you think they should only communicate with people of their own race?

It's same the whole world over - although perhaps less so now more women expect to be able to work. The first-generation worker learns what they need, those who stay at home learn less. Second-generation learn quickly because of school. But all this happens in "English" families abroad too.

The way it was put in the posters on the doors was racist with little distance from "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" in the 50s and 60s. To build on that is unconscionable.

All rudeness is personal to someone and working around it by insulting a group is no better than insulting one person.

Nezumi65 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:57:19

Notice: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51341735

It’s a hate incident.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 04-Feb-20 20:46:33

I have travelled and lived around the world and in general find that the French, especially the older ones, do not speak English. In fact when I was in France on a visit no one in the shops spoke English.

In other places of the far flung world there is a great desire to learn English and it is spoken in by most people in the countries I have stayed, e.g. Cambodia, Laos, Burma, etc. I have taken lessons in both the Cambodian language and Laos and Hmong language for when I am out there. Can't speak it fluently but can ask for hot water in my coffee!!!. Anyway how many of ex pats speak the language of the country they are living in.

Also I help out in English conversation classes once a week which are well attended by people from all different countries, mostly women as the men are working. So please a little less of people don't speak english.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:37:46

lemongrove Chestnut totally agree.

The notes pinned to doors in Norwich have not been attributed to anyone/any group as far as I know.

Chestnut Tue 04-Feb-20 20:27:35

Exactly lemongrove. We had a family near here where the husband spoke perfect English but the wife didn't speak a word and was not allowed to talk to us!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:24:18

Chestnut the only examples I know are the wives of waiters/owners of our local “Indian Restaurant” which is actually “Bangladeshi” half of their wives speak English, drive and their children go to nursery. The others stay at home they have minimum grasp of English and keep their children at home until school age.

We have been going there for over 30 years and the pattern has been constant.

lemongrove Tue 04-Feb-20 20:22:01

Who was the person who pinned the note up? Just a random passerby or an official, it isn’t made clear.
Most foreign nationals want to speak English as soon as possible.The more worrying thing for the women concerned are those wives who have husbands keen on keeping them tied to the home and not knowing the host country’s language.

Chestnut Tue 04-Feb-20 20:18:18

I don't know anything about a note on a Tower Block in Norwich and wasn't referring to that. But it is generally accepted that people who want to live here permanently should learn the language if they want to participate in society. Otherwise how can they communicate with others? Or do you think they should only communicate with people of their own race?

lemongrove Tue 04-Feb-20 20:17:24

The big difference when discussing what is ‘rude’ is what is being aimed at posters on a personal level ( supposedly against GN rules) such as ‘you think like a child and need to grow up’ ( charming!) and what a poster thinks about a subject being debated.You may not like their opinion of it, but that doesn’t mean their stated opinion is ‘rude’.It’s a quite obvious distinction to most people.

MaizieD Tue 04-Feb-20 20:07:09

Or that they don't speak English among themselves either when they are out or at home?

vegansrock Tue 04-Feb-20 19:42:35

Do all those British expats in Spain speak fluent Spanish?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Feb-20 19:40:54

The note pinned up in the Tower Block in Norwich was totally unacceptable on every level.