Gransnet forums

News & politics

Happy Day After Independance Day!

(292 Posts)
ananimous Sat 01-Feb-20 22:00:50

Hubby and I have just got back from Parliament Square celebrations (stayed longer than planned as the atmosphere was electric!) - We all made so many new friends (both leavers and remainers) - Hellllllo to the "Backing Singers"! grin And Tenby Angels Helllooo - Hopefully we will see some new members joining GN. (I've warned them about the welcoming committee, don't worry). wink
There is definitely a wonderfully, optimistic buzz in the UK!
I love this British wave of positivity.
Reminds me of the Berlin Wall coming down.

growstuff Sat 01-Feb-20 22:48:38

ananimous I haven't a clue what intoxicating substance you seem to be imbibing. Personally, today was a day much like any other day. As far as I'm concerned, the country gained nothing. The best I can hope for is that damage can be mitigated. I never believed the promises, such as the extra £350,000, so I'm not even hoping for that.

The crunch will come in 11 months, when we know what kind of agreement the UK has negotiated with the EU and what trade deals have been agreed with other countries, especially the US.

Meanwhile, the government has a job on its hands delivering some of the expectations of the people who voted for it.

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:48:57

Joelsnan - the issue with epilepsy meds is YOU CANNOT BRAND SWAP. Not without risking seizures. My son’s meds are made in the EU.

vegansrock Sat 01-Feb-20 22:49:06

joelsnan I didn’t see the knuckle draggers - it’s a quote from the article in the Independent. Keep up

ananimous Sat 01-Feb-20 22:51:59

Nez

There is no meds issue.

I do not know where you are getting your info from.

www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:52:25

And if you think the issue around epilepsy meds is project fear read some Australian advice www.epilepsy.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Fact-Sheet-Switching-Brands.pdf

MaizieD Sat 01-Feb-20 22:53:39

Oh, for heavens sake, everyone! What is your problem?

Don't you know that all you have to do is beleave...

Joelsnan Sat 01-Feb-20 22:54:02

vegansrock
Whether you were there in person or read it in the media makes little difference. Its selective cognition, only seeing or hearing what you want to reinforce your agenda...do keep up.

MawB Sat 01-Feb-20 22:54:35

Still stirring I see.
Are we going to have +2, +3, +4...ad nauseam?
My final word courtesy of Roger McGough

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:54:43

ananimous - you are personally guaranteeing the supply of meds from the EU are you?

That’s good. I feel reassured.

SirChenjin Sat 01-Feb-20 22:54:56

Don’t refer to the UK and Britain when you actually mean England and Wales.

ananimous Sat 01-Feb-20 22:55:01

Remain calm, Leave the insults aside, and use logic.

growstuff Sat 01-Feb-20 22:55:52

ananimous Decorum prevents me from responding as I would wish to your last post. There really is a meds issue. I guess your intoxication prevents you from seeing facts.

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:55:55

I love that Roger McGough poem - tonight it was perfect.

vegansrock Sat 01-Feb-20 22:56:13

Something you are not guilty of at all.
Obviously.
Keep up again

vegansrock Sat 01-Feb-20 22:56:29

Above post to joelsnan

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 22:56:56

growstuff - she just doesn’t care if there is an interruption in meds supply <shrugs>

growstuff Sat 01-Feb-20 22:57:17

Jeez!

SirChenjin Sat 01-Feb-20 22:57:46

It’s just a bump in the road - until it becomes an issue for her and her family

growstuff Sat 01-Feb-20 22:58:31

I guess she's fine, as long as her supplier (of whatever she's on) doesn't have problems.

MawB Sat 01-Feb-20 22:59:12

Independance Day. (sic)
Oh dear - no, my soirree was a complete mix of both voters and we were all getting along famously

Now we that we are no longer part of the EU I suppose ananimous feels no need to spell soirée correctly either.

ananimous Sat 01-Feb-20 22:59:29

Still no meds issue

Callistemon Sat 01-Feb-20 23:00:26

As the term knuckle draggers alludes to certain primates which walk upright with knuckles nearly touching the ground, I hope that there were no persons of colour present as that could then be considered to be a racist remark which you repeated, vegansrock.
Ask Alistair Stewart

Of course, referring to white people as knuckle draggers is, presumably, not in any way considered offensive.

Amazing. I thought the Independent was supposed to be just that - independent.

I in no way endorse the behaviour of someone who is behaving in a loutish fashion.

vegansrock Sat 01-Feb-20 23:01:22

Of course selective bias exists - but if drunken tattooed men were shouting and singing obscenities whilst climbing over Churchill’s statue at a Brexit event whilst being cheered on by similar others how would you interpret it?

vegansrock Sat 01-Feb-20 23:02:17

I doubt there were many people of colour at a Brexit event.

SirChenjin Sat 01-Feb-20 23:02:32

A knuckle dragged means a stupid or loutish man these days.