Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris -the last of the big spenders?

(18 Posts)
paddyanne Sun 02-Feb-20 22:20:43

Mr BOJO has decided in all his "wisdom" to spend in the region of £5.000,000 thats FIVE MILLION POUNDS to convince Scots NOT to leave the union .Given that so many on here think we cost the UK too much as it is ,shouldn't he just let us go?
He'll be wasting taxpayers cash after all .

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 22:27:38

I’ve had a google and in the last year Johnson seems to have promised £300 million, £50 million and £120 million to Scotland for various things. So I’d hold out for more wink

Nezumi65 Sun 02-Feb-20 22:36:44

To answer the question though, grin I personally would hate to see Scotland leave - but think Scotland has a very good case for a 2nd ref. Can see it would be something that Johnson would want to avoid for many reasons - so expect to get more money thrown at avoiding that.

JenniferEccles Sun 02-Feb-20 22:39:23

Weren’t you told that the referendum a few years ago was a once in a generation opportunity?

Urmstongran Sun 02-Feb-20 22:48:40

Wouldn’t the Scots prefer to wait and see how Brexit pans out first before having Indy2? If it were me, I’d rather hedge my bets for now!

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 22:55:19

Scotland won’t get another ref this year, possibly not the year after either.
If I was Johnson I would make the SNP wait a very long time.
To answer the OP, no, I wouldn’t spend a penny more.

JenniferEccles Sun 02-Feb-20 22:57:24

I am sure Boris wouldn’t give them another stab at independence as long as the Queen is still around, as her views on it are well known.

paddyanne Mon 03-Feb-20 00:53:17

Dominic Raab states its quite irresponsible and Un -European of the EU to talk of welcoming Scotland as a member state .

Maybe Mr Raab needs to understand ENGLAND voted out of the EU and they have NO say whatsoever in EU policy .
Donald Tusk said they would have great empathy in welcoming Scotland and most of the member states would feel the same .Its what they have been saying in private to our MEP's but now can say in public.
BOJO isn't GIVING us the 5million hes about to spend it on pointless advertising to let us see how wonderful WM is and why we should stay ....lol.I think he's on a loser,look how the last "vow" worked out1

newnanny Mon 03-Feb-20 02:42:04

Inthought last lastcreferendum wascsupposef to be in Salmons words 'Once in a generation'. Given Salmon agreed that I would make Scotland wait for 25 years from last referendum. I don't know why Nicola always moaning as Scots get a fair deal from UK. England not divolved and so SNP get to vote on England things such as education etc. but England do not vote on Scotland things.

newnanny Mon 03-Feb-20 02:43:00

Wales does not moan all of the time even though they get less funding.

Nezumi65 Mon 03-Feb-20 05:39:48

I’m going to be really interested watching Scotland give Johnson a hard time - he doesn’t do that well under pressure & he doesn’t really have a mandate in Scotland.

I really hope you don’t go (if you do can you leave the door open for some of us to come with you), not least because I think the UK is better for having Scotland in it, but also because I think it will lead to violence in Northern Ireland as pressure grows for a vote there. I know that isn’t Scotland’s problem though. I did read recently that even Wales has an increasing nationalist movement.

Urmstongran Mon 03-Feb-20 07:43:36

Given the great problems the world is facing, surely we should be working together on this small island – while respecting our different identities – to help deal with these problems in close association with the other countries of Europe rather than indulging in introspection and what has so often been destructive nationalism?

As an aside, we have just passed the 50th anniversary of the attempt to bomb the royal motorcade on its way to Caernarfon Castle, for the investiture of the Prince of Wales.

The activists blew themselves up and no one else was harmed. Can you imagine the backlash if they had been successful?

Nezumi65 Mon 03-Feb-20 08:05:53

I’m not going to disagree with you about working together - that’s why I voted remain. smile

However, given the results of the referendum maybe Scotland feels more European than English - and if so may seek alternative ways of existing.

MaizieD Mon 03-Feb-20 10:43:06

From Richard Murphy's blog this morning. I'm sure that Scots supporting independence will be interested:

In its judgement on Kosovo, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) specifically confirmed that the agreement of the state being seceded from was not necessary for Independence. That is the position in law, whatever any UK court may say. Indeed it was the UK government itself that put this argument most clearly to the ICJ in the Kosovo case.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/02/03/is-whitehall-right-to-be-afraid-of-scotland/

Do read all of it...

Nezumi65 Mon 03-Feb-20 16:45:31

That’s really interesting MazieD. I have thought since the GE that Scotland could be the great undoing of the Johnson government - in part because if it gained independence then it is likely Northern Ireland would follow. I however thought that they needed permission for Indy2. If that blog is correct and they don’t, well then, things are about to get interesting.

Johnson has no mandate Scotland, Brexit has no mandate in Scotland and the scenes from Scotland vs London on Friday night tells us a lot about identity.

Labaik Mon 03-Feb-20 18:30:01

The main reason that Scotland voted against independence is that they didn't want to leave the EU. They then overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum but have been totally ignored. In my view [and I really don't want Scotland to leave] they have every right to hold another referendum.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 03-Feb-20 19:07:24

I would hate to see Scotland go but I believe if they want another referendum then they should be allowed to have one. Also I think that eventually Ireland will become united due to Brexit and the problem with border control. Then that will just leave Wales and who knows on that one.

SirChenjin Mon 03-Feb-20 19:53:11

You could look at it another way - they’re spending £2.50 on behalf of every Scottish person who voted to stay in the UK.