A few more snowdrops

chocolatepudding Wed 05-Feb-20 15:12:08

Some snowdrops

Alexa Wed 05-Feb-20 13:29:47

Chocolate Pudding [flower]

Labaik Mon 03-Feb-20 22:16:27

What a beautiful way in which to remember your daughter. x

Labaik Mon 03-Feb-20 22:15:08

I there should be a nationwide breeding programme for hedgehogs, given that their numbers are so low now. I dread to think how many have died in the floods.

MaizieD Mon 03-Feb-20 20:47:43

Sounds wonderful, chocolatepudding.

chocolatepudding Mon 03-Feb-20 20:38:44

Here in Suffolk we are doing our bit for wildlife. We have a half acre island in a river which has thousands of snowdrops - all planted by me and lots of trees planted over the past 30+ years in memory of our baby daughter who died suddenly. Today we planted 10 alder buckthorn bushes which will attract butterflies.

Along the roadside of a one acre meadow we planted 800 small trees, hawthorn, blackthorn hornbeam and hazel which are underplanted with some snowdrops too.

Then 15 years ago we bought some land which included a bridleway across a large field. We planted 2300 saplings 10 different varieties including holly, hawthorn, blackthorn, buckthorn, evergreen privet, wild roses, spindle and rowan, all doing well.

We have fed and watched hedgehogs on the meadow but have stopped feeding them due to the risk of flooding.

Chardy Mon 03-Feb-20 13:06:44

Was reading this morning of a hedgehog that had to been put to sleep because it had been living off the seeds dropped from a bird table. It seems that the seeds had weakened its bones irreparably.

Wet kitten food is apparently the best hedgehog food.

Dottynan Mon 03-Feb-20 12:04:20

We have a hedgehog living in the tortoise summer residence. Every night Mr Hoggie comes out and feeds. I hope this warmth with no cold nights won't affect them through lack of hibernating

MaizieD Mon 03-Feb-20 11:58:31

That was then, Gaunt, Couldn't be done now.

My home county of Essex is like a dustbowl in places from British farmers ripping out hedges 50 years ago in the interests (supported by the government of the day) of maximising food production post WWII.

We know much more know about the adverse effects of industrial farming, soil impaction by heavy machinery, topsoil blowing away from massive fields, fertiliser runoff into watercourses, and the importance of biodiversity. The EU farm payment scheme is quite hot on environmentally friendly farming practice. Let's hope we don't lose that emphasis in the future.

If it's any consolation, we have 19 acres of grazing, hay field, hedges and woodland. Not to mention a garden full of slugs... We have hedgehogs by the dozen. grin

Gaunt47 Mon 03-Feb-20 09:00:27

I was told that Dutch consortiums bought up land in east Anglia around 30 years ago, and grubbed up hedges with impunity. confused

Alexa Mon 03-Feb-20 08:54:38

Let's do what we can to retain the European law that protects hedges.
I fear landowners and farmers will grub up hedges when European protection is lost.