Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Labour shadow Culture Secretary - wearing this in the HoC?

(548 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 21:44:23

Oh dear.

Tracy Brabin, aged 58y, Labour MP for Batley, ex ‘Corrie’ soap actress wore this yesterday in the HoC.

I was embarrassed on her behalf. What do you think about her choice of outfit for work?

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:16:20

Well, I'd never heard of her and I don't care what party she belongs to.

Work is work, this looks unprofessional and she looks ready to go clubbing.

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:22:29

I wish people wouldn't keep criticising Boris's hair, he just can't help how it grows!
Criticise anything else!

Just wondering if people say that about me.
"Look at the state of her hair, she should be ashamed, someone should buy her a brush".

BlueBelle Tue 04-Feb-20 23:25:40

What part did she play in Corrie? I don’t recognise her from that picture I’ve never heard of her either but since when has any of them looked the part, Johnson always looks as if he’s just got out of bed and when I saw Reese Mogg lying across the seat a few months ago beggars believe
The dress looks out of place too

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Feb-20 23:32:18

Those off one shoulder tops are very common dress at present, therefore the MP was only wearing what many would consider normal fashion.

However, on a forum where inequality is constantly being quoted against women, how can it be that this female MPs dress is being criticized, but not the dress of male MPs who so often can only be described as "scruffy" especially Boris Johnson.

Double standards in operation in this thread I feel, and not in the direction of what anyone would expect of a vast majority female forum in which so many threads are started in regards to inequality against women.

Or could it just be right-wing politics in action in this thread?

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:32:41

Joe Johnson always looks smart, perhaps he didn't inherit the dishevelled gene.

M0nica Tue 04-Feb-20 23:34:03

Quite a lot of adverse comments have been made of BJ's demeanour and gone through a hedge backwards look, from all sides of the house, not just the opposition.

This lady is free to wear what she likes, but she misjudged what occasion this dress was suitable for. Surely a sign of being an adult, is appreciating what clothes are suitable for what occasion and if you are going to flout the conventions, do it knowingly and with a point. This just looked like a misjudged, got up in the morning and grabbed the narest garment moment.

Every tiny decison anyone makes about their clothes for good or ill says something about you, even if you customarily dress by shutting your idea and putting on the first garment you can find.

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:38:29

Shall we expect to see sleeveless t shirts on male MPs now?

If I remember correctly, you did start a thread not long ago, Grandad, about men dressing smartly, wondering if it is only older men who do that now.
I think many of us agreed with you that standards are not what they were and this is a pity, in the workplace at least.

Women shouldn't expect men to dress smartly and appropriately if they're not prepared to do so themselves.

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:42:58

It's nothing to do with what party you support - it is what is appropriate dress for a professional woman or man at work.

In other publicity photos she is wearing a jacket so she must have at least one.

Callistemon Tue 04-Feb-20 23:51:17

Anyway, you can't say Johnson wears "inappropriate" clothes for work - they are the right clothes but he still looked a shambles!

He wears all the right clothes but not necessarily in the right order

moon

Elrel Wed 05-Feb-20 00:09:16

He’s more than once been photographed deliberately ruffling up his hair before a meeting or interview. He simply doesn’t care, as he makes clear every time he opens his mouth.

Curlywhirly Wed 05-Feb-20 06:57:41

Elrel I agree about his hair; he was filmed being prepared for TV in the hair and makeup studio and had his hair 'done' neatly, he then proceeced to ruffle it all up! It's a look he obviously contrives deliberately.

Yehbutnobut Wed 05-Feb-20 07:03:30

For the record the MP concerned has issued the following

“Hello. Sorry I don’t have time to reply to all of you commenting on this but I can confirm I’m not....
A slag
Hungover
A tart
About to breastfeed
A slapper
Drunk
Just been banged over a wheelie bin.

Who knew people could get so emotional over a shoulder..”

Davidhs Wed 05-Feb-20 07:10:36

The HoC has a dress code which states “Business Style”, this was not a wardrobe malfunction it was an off the shoulder dress with a strapless bra. If she wants to be treated seriously much more thought should be given to her dress, had she turned up for work as a barmaid it might have been acceptable.

Firecracker123 Wed 05-Feb-20 07:21:21

I think at 58 years old she looked like mutton dressed as lamb.

Hetty58 Wed 05-Feb-20 07:33:00

It's very small-minded to judge people by what they wear. How about taking notice of what they say and do?

Yehbutnobut Wed 05-Feb-20 07:33:46

Brings out the best in GNetters ?

Yehbutnobut Wed 05-Feb-20 07:34:36

Hetty. don’t be silly!

Sparkling Wed 05-Feb-20 07:35:05

Why wasn't she asked to leave? That is not appropriate attire for work. it looks tarty as if she has just come straight from a club. Bit to old to be dressing that way. Dress codes are important, it shows they take the position they hold seriously. Corbyn always looked scruffy, as if he didn't care but at least his body parts were covered, Boris cannot help his hair, always in a nice suit. Bit Ruffled sometimes but clean.

suziewoozie Wed 05-Feb-20 07:41:10

Good old misogynistic GN. Stupid pathetic childish sweeping comments about one misjudgement. Some of you using it as a reason to damn her completely. FFS.

Firecracker123 Wed 05-Feb-20 07:41:27

First impressions count and she was representing her constituency in the Hoc and she was dressed inappropriately in my opinion.

If it's small minded to judge people on their appearance why all the criticism re Boris and his hair or is that OK because he is a Tory.

suziewoozie Wed 05-Feb-20 07:43:41

And Hetty that would never catch on - it would require intelligence, knowledge and maturity. Best just pike on.

suziewoozie Wed 05-Feb-20 07:44:01

Or pile even

Oopsminty Wed 05-Feb-20 07:44:10

I want to see a male MP wearing an off the shoulder shirt

vegansrock Wed 05-Feb-20 07:45:38

Boris wears ill fitting suits and tie akimbo looking like he’s just got out of bed. Not a statesman like look. He could afford a decent hairdresser to tame the hair or have it cut with clippers really short. This MP doesn’t look professional either but if you are judging her to be a tart or whatever that doesn’t necessarily follow. I doubt she’ll make that mistake again.

growstuff Wed 05-Feb-20 07:48:49

At least she didn't show her bum cheeks like Johnson's special advisor did in his low-slung baggy jeans.