Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Labour shadow Culture Secretary - wearing this in the HoC?

(548 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 04-Feb-20 21:44:23

Oh dear.

Tracy Brabin, aged 58y, Labour MP for Batley, ex ‘Corrie’ soap actress wore this yesterday in the HoC.

I was embarrassed on her behalf. What do you think about her choice of outfit for work?

Eloethan Fri 07-Feb-20 17:28:04

Chestnut The point I was making is that several people on Gransnet - some of them supporters of Theresa May - criticised what she was wearing on holiday. I thought it a total irrelevance. I was no fan of hers, either as a cabinet minister or prime minister, but that was nothing to do with her dress sense. I thought her performance in both those vital roles was abysmal and, in my view, that is what matters, not what dress or shoes a woman wears.

Tracey Brabin has, in my opinion, made a useful contribution to the House of Commons and I don't really care what she or anyone else wears. It is hardly a very grown-up or respectful place anyway - lots of shouting over people's speeches, silly noises, etc. Surely that - and lounging across the benches as Jacob Rees Mogg did, is far more disrespectful, but such routine behaviour, whilst raising the usual disapproving mutterings, doesn't seem to attract the same sort of outrage that what a woman wears does.

Chestnut Fri 07-Feb-20 17:27:09

Well you've changed your tune SirChenjin. Government issued bras! And earlier you were 'supporting' freedom to wear what they like ?

Baggs Fri 07-Feb-20 17:26:16

Who's Jimmy Crankey?

Callistemon Fri 07-Feb-20 17:22:37

Surely there is another thread about the media "embargo"?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 17:21:38

Maybe she has nice firm breasts and doesn’t need one < envious sigh>

SirChenjin Fri 07-Feb-20 17:21:04

Definitely there should be Chestnut. There should probably be sensible HoC issued ones to ensure they all conform to standard.

SirChenjin Fri 07-Feb-20 17:19:34

You missed a few really key POV there lemon which underpin most of the ‘it’s a bit of shoulder, have some perspective’ views including the one about her highlighting the appalling behaviour from the Tories in trying to silence the media.

Chestnut Fri 07-Feb-20 17:19:31

I think we should also question whether she was wearing a bra. ? Should female MPs be allowed in the HoC without one? Should they be checked at the door?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 17:19:30

And you too lemon

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 17:19:05

Rubbish Call Childish exaggeration and so not witty. <sigh>

lemongrove Fri 07-Feb-20 17:18:28

grin

Callistemon Fri 07-Feb-20 17:15:43

I'm really quite relaxed about that suziewoozie.
But I don't see many of yours anyway as they get deleted.

lemongrove Fri 07-Feb-20 17:13:36

Opinions so far:
She is a politician and should know how to dress appropriately in the HOC.Even if she had attended a social event earlier, she had time to put on a jacket or cardigan.

She is a woman, and women should dress however they like no matter where they are.

She was dressed inappropriately but it wasn’t her fault due to attending an earlier event, and anyway she has a plaster cast on her leg.

So what, if she had a plaster cast on, and what does that have to do with it anyway.

Wearing the dress looked like she was hoping for attention.

Ok......all opinions which should be freely expressed without insults being hurled at the poster who wrote them.

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 17:07:06

Ooohhhlemon you are a caution

SirChenjin Fri 07-Feb-20 17:02:57

And I’m sure that suzie feels likewise

lemongrove Fri 07-Feb-20 17:02:54

This is a thread inviting opinions ...... so we all have differing opinions, so what?
Surely there’s not a lot more to say though.

lemongrove Fri 07-Feb-20 16:55:57

I expect that will give Callistemon sleepless nights ( not)
suziew ?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 16:49:18

And you Call are not on my list either of posters whose posts I give a damn about.

Callistemon Fri 07-Feb-20 16:20:22

I think it is known as psychological projection, Chewbacca.
It is a defence mechanism.

Chewbacca Fri 07-Feb-20 16:12:53

ananimous I know that you enjoy making posts that you hope will shock but, in the main, they're not shocking; they're just ignorant and unpleasant and don't add much value to the discussion.

Callistemon Fri 07-Feb-20 15:43:09

Very funny

hmm

ananimous Fri 07-Feb-20 15:36:07

Are you arguing again Callistemon

Can we just have one thread without it?

Callistemon Fri 07-Feb-20 15:32:58

suziewoozie I don't really care what you think about anything having read some of your posts.

However, I do read what most posters have to say and think about their sensible and considered posts even if I don't always agree with them. It's usually good to listen to another view and perhaps re-evaluate.

ananimous Fri 07-Feb-20 15:32:22

I don't know who is more offended

You, NS, or wee Jimmy?

Callistemon Fri 07-Feb-20 15:29:18

It was trisher who mentioned nightwear.

I should have made it clear and mentioned her name if I was replying to her post