Gransnet forums

News & politics

The man is mad!

(154 Posts)
Fennel Sun 09-Feb-20 17:48:41

I don't enjoy entering the news and politics forums, but this news item shocked me:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7982525/Boris-Johnson-revives-20billion-plan-bridge-Scotland-Northern-Ireland.html
Especially today with the threat to bridges like the current storm.

POGS Sun 16-Feb-20 17:52:57

Boris Johnson did not come up with the idea of a bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland and to read many posts I honestly think some posters thought he did.

Yes the government is looking at the proposal but so we're the Northern Ireland DUP MP's and the Scottish SNP MP's at one time too.

Only one politician is a ' Mad Man ' However.

MaizieD Sun 16-Feb-20 18:19:31

No, Johnson didn't come up with the idea, but he is approving its revival. So it's as good as his.

I actually think it was a diversionary tactic from Gove's announcement that our borders with the EU will be subject to full border controls after 2020; a huge change from pre-referendum soothing noises about frictionless trade post Brexit. A bit of 'project fear' come true, really.

But it's kept us going for a few days, hasn't it? And not a word about border controls... Job done, No. 10

growstuff Sun 16-Feb-20 18:41:54

There are also rumours that the budget is going to be delayed by months. If that's true, the public won't find out for ages how vanity projects will be financed. All the promises can be spun out for a bit longer before the reality kicks in.

Johnson has form with his distracting "bread and circuses". Don't be fooled. Keep an eye on the main issues and watch how he dodges accountability.

POGS Sun 16-Feb-20 19:24:54

Maizied

' I actually think it was a diversionary tactic from Gove's announcement that our borders with the EU will be subject to full border controls after 2020; a huge change from pre-referendum soothing noises about frictionless trade post Brexit. A bit of 'project fear' come true, really.'
--
I don' t follow your logic.

If there is full border control after 2020 what is the difference between having a bridge, a ferry, shipping, or air travel?

It is not the method or mode of traffic of goods or people it is whether or not Northern Ireland and Scotland are in the EU or in the UK at any given time.

MaizieD Sun 16-Feb-20 20:02:32

It was a tactic to divert attention from the news that there would be full border controls to all goods after 2020. Barriers to trade. No more 'frictionless trade' with the EU, our largest trading partner.

Which they will reciprocate. Which will put a good many small business out of business and increase costs for those which are large enough to carry on. Not to mention completely bringing to halt the Just In Time model of trade which many businesses have developed over the past few decades.

This was not what was promised by the Leave campaigners.

Here are some traders who are rather upset about this:

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1227893586248814593.html

POGS Sun 16-Feb-20 20:49:16

It would have been a ' tactic' whenever / whatever Johnson announced anything now or in the future to some.

There is no point in ' surmising ' anything or creating conspiracy theories it is the ' facts ' and content of the feasibility, cost, politics behind a bridge joining Northern Ireland and Scotland that is the question

growstuff Sun 16-Feb-20 21:18:53

POGS,

a) It's a diversionary tactic because people have spent more time discussing the hypothetical bridge than they have real issues.

b) At one stage, Johnson was talking about a bridge to Northern Ireland as a way of avoiding the need for border controls. The idea was that the bridge could be used just as any other bridge within the UK is used.

That still didn't address the issue of controls between NI and the RoI, but he shrugged that off in the interview I saw.

MaizieD Sun 16-Feb-20 21:35:47

No, POGS; this is all about managing public perceptions. Politicians have done it for years. Do you not remember this outcry after 9/11?

Ms Moore had faced widespread calls for her to quit since sending an e-mail as New York's twin towers burned, suggesting that 11 September was a good day to "bury" bad news.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1823120.stm

MaizieD Sun 16-Feb-20 21:44:49

That still didn't address the issue of controls between NI and the RoI, but he shrugged that off in the interview I saw.

Johnson, and now his new NI Secretary, has been lying through his teeth about this. There absolutely will be checks at the liquid NI border because it is de facto an EU border and checks will have to be made.

(The Full Fact article I've linked to omits the SPS checks which will be obligatory on live or dead animals. So, customs checks on goods and inspection of animals)

fullfact.org/europe/eu-referendum-and-irish-border/

POGS Sun 16-Feb-20 21:49:31

Maizied

Yes I do remember the Labour Party were in a big pickle at the time over it. It was indeed crass to say the least and she paid a price.

If just regurgitating that information means proving a point, stating something is being used as a ' tactic ' then feel free to keep using it as such.

I personally think it serves no purpose other than giving an example of political tactics.

POGS Sun 16-Feb-20 21:56:38

There are two conversations going on.

A). The feasibility of a Bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

B). Future possible customs arrangements between Northern Ireland and the other 3 countries in the EU.

MaizieD Sun 16-Feb-20 21:57:46

I personally think it serves no purpose other than giving an example of political tactics.

And I am saying that the publicity about the bridge is a political tactic. I really don't know why you are denying this.

Though no doubt you would love to paint me as a loopy conspiracy theorist...

POGS Sun 16-Feb-20 22:01:20

'And I am saying that the publicity about the bridge is a political tactic. I really don't know why you are denying this.'
---

Because I deal in facts. That's your ' opinion' not a ' fact ' albeit one that is shared by the like minded.

Labaik Sun 16-Feb-20 23:06:55

So do you actually believe that Johnson plans to build a bridge?

growstuff Sun 16-Feb-20 23:07:02

POGS Are you seriously suggesting people should ignore what's happening in broad daylight in front of our eyes? Johnson is hardly likely to state that he's trying to stop people commenting about serious issues by offering something controversial for people to talk about. He's really not going to spell it out.

Urmstongran Mon 17-Feb-20 11:20:50

Maybe it’s a fanciful ‘look - a SQUIRREL!’ divert tactic?

MaizieD Mon 17-Feb-20 11:37:45

No conspiracy theories please, Ug wink

Urmstongran Mon 17-Feb-20 12:59:04

??

POGS Mon 17-Feb-20 15:36:16

Labaik Sun 16-Feb-20 23:06:55

'So do you actually believe that Johnson plans to build a bridge?'
---

If you are asking me that question then my answer would be not a clue. I have posted I don't know the feasibility of building the bridge if you read my posts.

I have pointed out the fact this was mooted not by Boris Johnson but an idea put forward by the architect Alan Dunlop and it was discussed by the Northern Ireland and Scottish governments at one time. Yet Boris Johnson is the ' Mad' politician.

If it is feasible and the plan goes ahead I repeat I am only interested in Who benefits at that time and who should pay for it.

Urmstongran Mon 17-Feb-20 15:50:26

In today’s political climate, knowing Boris is unchallenged and we have no credible opposition (yet, or ... ?even in April) this thread will probably run for the next 4 years as it’s nicely open-ended.

POGS Mon 17-Feb-20 16:17:29

growstuff Sun 16-Feb-20 23:07:02

'POGS Are you seriously suggesting people should ignore what's happening in broad daylight in front of our eyes?'

Johnson is hardly likely to state that he's trying to stop people commenting about serious issues by offering something controversial for people to talk about. He's really not going to spell it out.
-
Ridiculous comment.

I have never suggested anybody ignores anything in broad daylight or any other ruddy light.

Again it is ' your ' opinion that Johnson is using 'tactics' in your second paragraph, if I read your post to me correctly.

Whether or not ' tactics' are at play is a case of each to his/her own opinion.

If discussing the ' facts ' as I know them is deemed as suggesting others ignore anything then I don't know really how to answer that accusation.

Nezumi65 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:48:59

I’m now more concerned by his acceptance of a eugenicist in Downing Street than yet another megalomaniac Boris Bridge load of nonsense.

I think we should just laugh at the bridge - or get him to lay the first stone on the weapons dump or something - and concentrate on the shift to the far right.

Iam64 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:50:49

Nezumi65 -couldn't agree more. The bridge is a joke, an attempt to grab the headlines no more.

this eugenicist with his racist, misogynist views is another thing all together. Terrifying to think our PM can accept someone with such views.

Iam64 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:01:54

YEY he's resigned (not Mr Johnson of course)

Labaik Mon 17-Feb-20 20:02:25

...he has no choice.....