Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sensible Discussion on Labour Leadership hopefuls MK 2

(518 Posts)
POGS Fri 14-Feb-20 15:25:45

Bump

Galaxy Sat 22-Feb-20 13:34:09

Are you able to say why your CLP view him as a moderate, I think Pogs question is a good one. Is it simply that he isn't RLB?

Iam64 Sat 22-Feb-20 13:39:22

Galaxy - I'm not sure the CLP does view him as moderate to be honest. I think the vote was swung away from RLB by people who don't believe she can win an election. I suspect those 4 votes came from a former MP and new or re-joining members. Otherwise, it would have been RLB.
I think looking at the number of CLP's who voted Starmer, it's more than him not being RLB. He's left enough, his life and work experience mean he is viewed by many as the candidate most likely to win an election and lead an effective opposition.
Not sure this answers POGS question, its just my own view.

Galaxy Sat 22-Feb-20 13:59:29

Thanks yes his past career is impressive.
It's a challenge re all women shortlists grandad, the crowdfunder launched in 2018 and as far as I am aware the papers have been served and they are waiting for a response. The barrister is amanda jones, Great James St chambers. Sorry I cant do links!

Grandad1943 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:13:05

Galaxy if there is a legal challenge begun in regard to trans gender issues within the Labour party, then it is wise I feel for all to sit back and allow the court action(s) to run there course.

In the above, it may not even be allowed to be on the agenda for debate at the Labour conference in September.

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 14:16:55

Saw this today ?

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 14:17:39

Just click on pic to enlarge it.

suziewoozie Sat 22-Feb-20 14:23:44

Hahaha Gdad nice try massive fail - the discussion will continue. You are a caution ! The only legal aspect of the trans pledge I’ve seen being discussed is the fact that Women’s UK were defamed and some of us wanted to encourage them to take legal action - unlike RLB and LN they haven’t got deep pockets lined by the unions and other anti-women groups so are unlikely to be able to do other than fight their corner on Twitter.

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 14:27:04

Milliband the broken looking brother... (facepalm)

POGS Sat 22-Feb-20 15:32:49

Grandad

'Where Kier Starmer stands on several issues is enclosed in the vagueness of a attorneys speak. I believe he is attempting to be "all things to all members" in this election campaign.'
-

Or as I mentioned previously he is a flip-flopper who will engage in conversations setting out his stance according to whom and where he is speaking to and where he thinks he can manipulate to garner points.

What is commonly known as' facing two ways '

POGS Sat 22-Feb-20 15:38:00

Rebecca Long Bailey is undoubtedly the accurately called ' Continuity Corbyn Candidate ' so there is little UNknown about her or her policies.

Lisa Nandy can throw some spanners in the works and I have changed my opinion about her the most during the debates and hustings that we have as the public been allowed to view or read. Over the years I have watched her on programmes such Politics Live, This Week et al. she came over as pragmatic and centrist and did so with a certain charm. I now think she has all along actually been further to the left than thought. She certainly has found her feet.

Keir Starmer is is so smooth I find him a tad slippery at times. I think he is trying to be all things to all people but if he is not careful they will scrutinise what he is or what he is not saying as the case may be.

If the debates / hustings were not so ruddy pally and saccharin at times we might be a tad wiser. Perhaps the gloves will come off when they go back to work next week.

suziewoozie Sat 22-Feb-20 16:01:02

I wouldn’t normally comment on posters’ spelling, but when a poster pontificates about all things to do with the Labour Leadership, you’d think he could spell all the contenders names correctly wouldn’t you?

POGS Sat 22-Feb-20 16:44:15

Sigh

POGS Sat 22-Feb-20 16:54:43

I am 64

Thanks for responding. You say:-

'The balance was tipped I think by the members who are either re-joiners, or new members who want rid of Corbyn's legacy.

He is seen as moderate in comparison with RLB and LN, though I've heard some members refer to Lisa as a Tory in disguise.'
--

There is indeed a mirror image of what happened when Corbyn became Leader of the Jeremy for Leader/Momentum Labour Party which gained such a huge success because of ' return/new ' Labour Members then and the same thing happening to stop his legacy from continuing by a new influx of ' return/new ' members of late. Pure irony.

I hear it often said Lisa Nandy is ' Tory Light / Tory in disguise' and I honestly do not understand why.

Iam64 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:03:38

POGS yes agreement between us about Lisa Nandy being anything but a tory in disguise. I've been impressed by her campaign so far.
Also, we're in agreement about the return/new member folks who joined when Corbyn was elected. From my point of view of course that was a Bad Thing in that people expelled by Kinnock returned to create even worse mayhem. I live in hope that the current lot of returners are like me, likely to be dismissed as Blairites. (I say this only partly in jest)

Ilovecheese Wed 26-Feb-20 16:37:30

I have just cast my votes for the Leader and the Deputy Leader.
I voted for Keir Starmer for leader. I did feel that I was making a rather 'safe' choice. I liked all the candidates and will not be disappointed if either of the others wins, I just felt that Keir Starmer was the least divisive whereas if Rebecca Long Bailey wins it will be an excuse for more division, although I agree with her views on most matters.
Lisa Nandy, I thought, had some very good points to make about listening to people in their constituencies and finding out what people would really like from a Labour Government, not what politicians think that they should want.

So having played it safe in the leadership election I thought I could go with my gut feelings a bit more for the deputy. I voted for Richard Burgon first, then Dawn Butler, for their enthusiasm and passion. Although again, I will not be upset if either Angela Raynor or Rosina Allin Khan win. I would be a little disappointed though, if it is Ian Murray, as he seemed rather willing to ditch the policies in the last manifesto.

I have liked the way the hustings have been carried out, the candidates have not sniped at each other (apart from Jess Philips in the early stages) which has made it boring for the press, but has, I think, shown people that Labour candidates can put aside their differences and work together towards a common goal.

Grandad1943 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:15:04

I also cast my votes yesterday evening along with many in my Unite Trade union Branch I believe. I too, however, will fully support whoever of the three candidates elected to the leadership position as I always have done in my fifty-three years continuous membership of the Labour movement.

Through thick and thin that's me. ?

jura2 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:23:59

I have not yet received my voting slip. Grandad- I will not and cannot vote for anyone who is anti EU and campaigned to Leave- as it will hurt the most vulnerable who have already suffered too much since Thatcher.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 18:29:57

I voted for chits n giggles: Wrong-Daily HA-HAH!
? ? ?

Grandad1943 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:30:15

Have you not received your ballot form online jura2? I believe with affiliated members that is the only way to receive and return the forms.

suziewoozie Wed 26-Feb-20 18:50:46

I wonder if KS will win on first preferences? He’ll certainly win anyway. I’ve no idea about the Deputy.

Grandad1943 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:58:26

Keir Starmer may well win or he may well not suziewoozie. After all, who believed that Jeremy Corbyn would win at the start of polling in 2015 with 59 percent of the first preference vote.

jura2 Wed 26-Feb-20 19:26:49

No I have not yet received my e-mail form. I will for for Keir- and would like him to choose his own deputy.

POGS Thu 27-Feb-20 17:25:03

Grandad

On the first thread which reached 1000 posts you often made the following point/opinion such this post of yours:-

' the unions may well "pull the financial plug" on the existing Labour Party and then set up a new political wing with existing personal from within its Leading figures at its leadership.

I believe that persons such as Steve Preddy or Steve Taylor among others in the Unite Union would make good leaders of any new political organisation and many other people come to mind from other Trade Unions.'
--

On Politics Live today Matt Wrack, General Sec of the Fire Brigade Union, who back Rebecca Long Bailey, was asked if Keir Starmer became Labour Leader would the Fire Brigade Union ' disaffiliate ' from the Labour Party as it did when Tony Blair was Leader?

He said No!

Given your inside knowledge of Unite do you still hold fast that if anybody but Long Bailey becomes Leader the Unions ' coukd/might' stop funding the Labour Party and is the Fire Brigade Union usually at one so to speak with Unite in general.?

You also said on the other thread :-

'To a lesser degree, Momentum has now been recognized as a separate affiliate organisation in its own right, which leaves me wondering what may be behind such a move into the future. They certainly now have the organisation and structure to take on whatever may come their way.'
--

What is the feeling of late re Momentum? I have not seen nor heard so much from those who stated they were being a spokes person from Momentum but I put that down to the likes of Novara Media, Open Democracy et al who have the likes of Ash Sarkar, Grace Blakely etc. featuring so prominent in the media.

suziewoozie Thu 27-Feb-20 17:28:28

Keir will win, no unions will disaffiliate and I think all the PLP will get behind him ( some chuntering more than others).

POGS Thu 27-Feb-20 17:47:46

jura

You certainly have ' gone on a journey'.

You have told us over time you were a Lib Dem member but I remember you had changed your mind at the last election and voted Labour.

To become a Labour Member must have taken a lot of soul searching. The