Gransnet forums

News & politics

The British PM has a history of racism and bigotry

(113 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Sat 22-Feb-20 09:36:14

“We are ruled by a prime minister who has a history of racism and bigotry and who – quite unlike previous Conservative leaders – is idolised by far-right figures and movements, trashing the demarcation between centre-right and what lies beyond.”
Owen Jones in today’s Guardian.

So where is this going to lead?

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 11:50:01

Anyway what has Boris’ DNA profile to do with anything? He learned to think this from his upbringing and schooling

Really? Are you telling me that brought up in an education system dominated by Gramsci style cultural Marxism he didnt absorb it? My he must be an independent thinker - although to be honest a lot of government policy has not changed and much of what is currently being proposed is the same hogwash as it was before.

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 11:54:10

april please post your link to your 80% figure

There are many books and a whole raft of papers across the internet that suggest that 80% /20% nature nurture figure. It has been a long establised one ( even the NHS accept it for illness and other conditions).

You carry the genes and an environmental factor will act as a trigger.

Its true of most mental illnesses, especially bi polar and schizophrenia which are well established. Intelligence is also largely carried through genes.

Just check the internet - google is your friend on this one. I am sick and tired of people who cann ot do their own research.

Greymar Sun 23-Feb-20 12:07:29

I am sick and tired of people who make ridiculous claims.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 12:08:02

No, aprilrose, there is no established proof of an 80/20% influence of genes on intelligence and personality. There might well be information out there via Google, but that doesn't mean that it's authentic. I prefer to listen to and discuss with proper geneticists.

In any case, apart from genetics, you seem to be a little confused about Gramsci. What is your source of all this?

Greymar Sun 23-Feb-20 12:14:26

However, the risk may be lower. A 2014 report from the Consortium on the Genetics of Schizophrenia Family Study in the United States with nearly 300 families concluded that the risk of schizophrenia was only 31 percent within a nuclear family

Greymar Sun 23-Feb-20 12:15:22

30% or 80 %? Oh well, never mind.

MaizieD Sun 23-Feb-20 12:20:01

What is your source of all this?

Google, of course!

I must admit that the idea of a 'statesman' gene has me ROFL...

(And, WTAF...)

Deference to our 'betters' isn't dead, is it...

I wonder, where did Johnson get his 'lying through your teeth every time you open your mouth' gene from?

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 12:31:11

Johnson's mother has had serious mental health issues.

Greymar Sun 23-Feb-20 12:32:54

He must be nuts then?

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 12:42:02

OK lets start with the schizophrenia one

Taken from the NHS websigte as it happens ( or do you think the NHS is so rubbish now they dont know their science?).

"Genetics account for almost 80 per cent of a person's risk of developing schizophrenia, according to new research," the Mail Online reports. That is the main finding of a study looking at how often schizophrenia affected both twins of a pair, looking at identical and non-identical twins"

The study was carried out by researchers from the Center for Neuropsychiatric Schizophrenia Research at Copenhagen University Hospital in Denmark. Funding was provided by the Lundbeck Foundation Center of Excellence for Clinical Intervention and Neuropsychiatric Schizophrenia Research, and Lundbeck Foundation Initiative for Integrative Psychiatric Research.

The study was published in the peer-reviewed journal Biological Psychiatry, and is available to read for free online.

When I went to University in 1975, one of the first debates we looked at was nature and nurture. Even back then the 80% genes figure was being quoted and backed up by what was then fairly primitive research. It was believed then that this 80% figure was general across most things, not just mental illness. When I went back to university in 1989 the same figures were being used with different research.

Today I read the same 80/20 ideas with more modern research.

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 12:47:16

He must be nuts then?

He may well carry the genetics for it . Now thats where the 20% nurture kicks in - has his environment added a trigger factor for him to display his mothers genetic factors...... if in fact he inherited them as reality check only half of your genes come from your mother anyway.

We dont know, but clearly he got something passed down from his progenitors, including Ataturk just as I have genes passed down from my great grandparents. Thats a biological certainty.

We do inherit factors like it or not ( and by the way I would have preferred it if we did not in many ways because a lot of arguments that I would love to claim nurture on are in fact nature.

But the next question then would be exactly what is their nature.

Greymar Sun 23-Feb-20 12:48:48

Ah , the discredited study so beloved by the Daily Mail.

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 13:05:48

you seem to be a little confused about Gramsci. What is your source of all this?

Really? Am I confused or is it you who is confused? I would say you have no idea at all where Gramsci is concerned. As for where I get my information - a lifetime of reading academic books.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:10:35

aprilrose You went to university in 1975? Really?

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:13:14

Oh dear aprilrose. So what academic books would you recommend?

I suspect I might know a little more about Gramsci and the right-wing fantasy trope which is cultural Marxism than you appear to do.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:13:59

If you want a serious discussion about cultural Marxism, I'm up for it. grin

MaizieD Sun 23-Feb-20 13:16:12

but clearly he got something passed down from his progenitors, including Ataturk..

I don't think you read suziewoozie's post about this too closely, aprilrose

I quote:

Johnson's Turkish antecedent..

He rather seems to be not Mustafa Kemal Ataturk but Ali Kemal. There is additionally the rather delicious irony that all of the former’s children were adopted.

But, whatever..

Johnson isn't in any shape or form a 'revolutionary statesman'. The revolutionary is the guy who's pulling his strings.. D. Cummings. Not sure where his genes came from...

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:20:46

From both parents and his ancestors, like all of us.

Ali Kemal was Johnson's great grandfather, so the chances are that Johnson has an eighth of his genes, along with genes from all his other great grandparents and ancestors.

Do we have a wannabe Cummings or Sabaski on GN?

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 13:32:48

I wonder, where did Johnson get his 'lying through your teeth every time you open your mouth' gene from?

Probably from his great grandfather. There arent many politicians or journalists who do not have that capacity. The best come from families where both occupations are apparent - as in BJ's case.

But since nearly all tell lies, the point becomes, does it matter?

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 13:35:50

If you want a serious discussion about cultural Marxism, I'm up for it. grin

ROFL . If that were not such a joke I would take you up on it. But I have observed on this forum that anytime certain people get challenged they tend to run to GN and get their opponents banned. ROFL. Have I ever heard such a funny joke in my life? Never.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:37:18

Really? Have you tried Specsavers?

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 13:38:22

Ah , the discredited study so beloved by the Daily Mail.

Not sure where your source is - obviously you read the daily mail. I said where mine was from - the NHS.

But of course any source that does not support your view has to be bogus or discredited? The last refuge of the social conscience and liberal (non) progressive mind I fear.

Wear that label if it fits.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:39:04

Go on then! Explain how Eton promotes cultural Marxism.

I don't suppose it was something you picked up from some right-wing site during one of your Google searches.

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 13:39:51

Goodness me! I'm sure I've read your post elsewhere aprilrose. Did you copy and paste it?

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 13:40:40

Really? Have you tried Specsavers?

Another one in the last bastion of cant argue wont argue so make sure you insult your opponant instead. The above is a direct example of why I wont have the debate you suggest with you.

You wouldnt be able to have the debate without ad hominem attacks rather than dealing with the issue.