Gransnet forums

News & politics

The British PM has a history of racism and bigotry

(113 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Sat 22-Feb-20 09:36:14

“We are ruled by a prime minister who has a history of racism and bigotry and who – quite unlike previous Conservative leaders – is idolised by far-right figures and movements, trashing the demarcation between centre-right and what lies beyond.”
Owen Jones in today’s Guardian.

So where is this going to lead?

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:12:26

hmm

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 20:11:52

Disculpe, I meant that for a different thread. [Hmm]

Iam64 Wed 26-Feb-20 19:40:55

why don't you anonimous

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 18:18:36

Why don't you start a discussion about "racism"?

GagaJo Mon 24-Feb-20 09:02:21

Yes, Iam64. 'PC gone mad' is just a phrase that means, I can freely be as offensive as I want without fear of consequences.

Iam64 Mon 24-Feb-20 08:52:27

I suspect it's already leading to an increase in expressed racism and bigotry
That's what seems to have happened in the US since Trump became Potus. Like Mr Johnson, Mr T has a track record of saying things that many find offensive but he gets away with it. His base supporters love the way they now feel free to "say stuff we haven't been allowed to say because of PC gone mad". Same with Mr Johnson, we can make homophobic or racist comments, its fine. We now also have a glorious leader who does this, therefore "the PC gone mad lot" can just off.

GagaJo Mon 24-Feb-20 08:15:23

April, on another thread you talk about not insulting and remaining civilized.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 08:11:40

Calm down april. You sound a bit irritated. Checking facts is quite a good idea you know as is trying to be logical ie not liking BJ = Corbyn forever? That’s a bit silly isn’t it?

aprilrose Mon 24-Feb-20 05:52:19

OK , so you think I got a few details wrong - like I said he was Lib dem. Well, the lib dems have morphed from one thing to another so many times I have lost count - it is minor really isnt it? But dont let that stop you.

I have watched you so often turn and twist so that you get your points acroos. You dont like BJ OK ? So its Corbyn forever is it? What sort of man is it who was brought up in a walthy family, couldnt even pass decent A levels ( it seems) to get into a university but of course that doesnt matter does it - except when you oh so clever types want to lord it over others. He is a Leave minded skeptic who betrayed his own views to give his party a pro remain stance. He promised all things to every minority group in the country, except those of us who pay taxes . So you want to believe him?

MaizieD Sun 23-Feb-20 23:17:46

You know, Yehbutnobut!

Someone thinks he's got statesman's genes ? Good diversionary tactic...

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 23:17:43

Yehbut because of *aprilrose getting BJs great grandad wrong.

Yehbutnobut Sun 23-Feb-20 23:14:42

How on earth did this thread morph from a discussion on Boris’ racist and bigoted remarks into heredity, monozygotic twins, etc.?

Fennel Sun 23-Feb-20 18:12:32

Whatever - I don't understand how anyone can trust him.
He's like feather in the wind - a white one.
And he's not in charge of this govt.
If only we had a stronger opposition. [sad}

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 17:53:57

I read the full etc

suziewoozie Sun 23-Feb-20 17:53:22

Oh april april april You are so naughty. I the full article on the NHS website re the Danish study into twins and schizophrenia. Things are not quite as clear cut as your summary suggests and there are several caveats and reservations re the generalisability of the study’s results. You seem to have a) not read to the end ( naughty) or b) you deliberately missed out the reservations ( also naughty).

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 17:51:55

Might not encourage his dominance then. Wonder what he'd be like on horseback?

Chestnut Sun 23-Feb-20 17:49:05

GagaJo My grandson is part Mongolian and therefore will have the genes of Ghengis Kahn (most Mongolians do have his genes - reproduced prolifically). That is like saying my grandson has the genes to become a violent despot.
Your intellect and personality are inherited just as your physical attributes, but it's complicated. You get 50% of genes from each of your parents but children don't inherit the same genes which is why siblings are different. If two siblings had a DNA test the results may not be the same. Your character is developed from your upbringing but will be influenced by your personality and intellect. A child who has inherited a maths gene will have mathematical ability whatever his upbringing, although he might not make good use of it if his parents don't encourage him.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 16:15:16

Hahahahaha, spot on, Trisher! I bet he does a lovely Nazi salute too, while in costume.

trisher Sun 23-Feb-20 16:02:54

I've got it! BJ was a cultural Marxist who dressed sometimes as a Nazi, a fore-runner of the Liberal Democrats and a Conservative. What more could you want in a PM?

growstuff Sun 23-Feb-20 15:34:21

Johnson left Oxford in 1983. The Liberal Democrats didn't form until 1988/9.

trisher Sun 23-Feb-20 15:13:27

Incidently the Oxford Conservatives have severed ties with the Bullingdon even they know it is poison.

trisher Sun 23-Feb-20 15:11:52

So two faced even then!

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 15:06:14

During his time at Oxford, BJ was also a member of the Liberal Democrats not the Conservatives.

trisher Sun 23-Feb-20 15:03:04

Far from espousing Marxism members of the Bullingdon club sometimes dressed as Nazis. But of course BJ now thinks that was purely undergraduate pranks, the problem is the underlying philosophy still remains www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/07/oxford-bullingdon-club-boris-johnson-sexism-violence-bullying-culture

aprilrose Sun 23-Feb-20 14:53:45

Oxford doesn't promote cultural Marxism either. You really haven't a clue what you're talking about. In fact, cultural Marxism is a myth promoted by extreme right sites and accepted by the dimwits who follow such sites.

Oh dear. The conspiracy theorists are in force today.