Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not exactly joined up thinking, Hilary...

(42 Posts)
Rosina Wed 04-Mar-20 17:50:36

Looking through the news today I see several comments made by Hilary Mantel about the Duchesses of Suffolk and Cambridge. Of Meghan she says : 'I do think abominable racism has been involved' and then 'I think there has been an element of racism in the invective against her.' These comments seem somewhat conflicting, the one suggesting a tirade of racist abuse and the second questioning a possibility; then 'People who say that's got nothing to do with it - well they need to check their privilege' What exactly does that mean? No examples are quoted here to support her opinion.
Ms Mantel continues by saying that there is 'intense concentration' around the bodies of Royal woman, and then weighs in with a charming description of Kate by saying that she is like a 'jointed doll on which certain rags are hung'. That must be gratifying to read when you have always made every effort to look the best you can in public - with much success in my opinion.

Ginny42 Thu 05-Mar-20 08:58:31

I agree with Chewbacca. I didn't know who she was when I first tuned into the interview. Her comments about racism towards Meghan just sort of hung in the air with no further explanation or challenge by the interviewer.

As for comments on Kate's figure and dress sense, well! Ms Mantel chooses to wear that she likes and Kate does the same. I didn't like what she was wearing, but she has a right to dress as she pleases and so does Kate. We're all jointed humans of one shape or another. I found her very offensive.

sodapop Thu 05-Mar-20 08:34:01

Spot on Davidhs

SirChenjin Thu 05-Mar-20 07:24:43

And it’s not Meghan who is disliked, it’s the things Meghan has done. And continues to do

Absolutely agree with that (although I’d add Harry to that too)

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 22:21:43

Exactly Chewbacca.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Mar-20 22:15:22

nothing to do with race even though it appears that's what she'd like us to believe.

That's because it's the easiest way to get critics to back off, rather than address the way she's behaved.

maddyone Wed 04-Mar-20 21:55:11

Davidhs
Good for you, you tell it as it is.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 21:55:08

No, racism isn't a game Greymar, the criticism M's been receiving has nothing to do with race even though it appears that's what she'd like us to believe.

maddyone Wed 04-Mar-20 21:53:47

Annie
You are right, if Meghan is not liked and it’s not racism, what is it then? Then we have to conclude that it’s her behaviour. And it’s not Meghan who is disliked, it’s the things Meghan has done. And continues to do.

Davidhs Wed 04-Mar-20 21:29:01

Racism is rubbish, the Royal family that she married into has bent over backwards to accommodate her at the cost of many millions but she wanted more.

Anniebach Wed 04-Mar-20 21:26:04

You got it at last Greymare

Chewbacca Wed 04-Mar-20 21:21:45

It'll be interesting to watch the new Spitting Image series when it starts soon. The puppets of M & H are already completed. I wonder whether their will be an outcry of unfair bias then too?

Greymar Wed 04-Mar-20 21:21:31

Let me wrap my head around this, M is unpopular because she is a money grabbing nasty pece of work. Rather than face up to this unplatable fact, some people latch onto racism as a sort of lazy way to explain her behaviour and that of her husband?

Callistemon Wed 04-Mar-20 21:21:16

I did think of Hillary Clinton too and thought Rosina had spelt it the normal way, not like the surname.

Greymar Wed 04-Mar-20 21:19:29

Why oh why do people persist in using that stupid phrase?

Racism isn't a game, it isn't a card to be put down?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/16/playing-the-race-card-racism-black-experience

Anniebach Wed 04-Mar-20 21:16:49

If racism isn’t used they are left with the truth as to why Megan is unpopular, so they choose to play the race card

SueDonim Wed 04-Mar-20 21:16:28

Good point, Callistemon! I’d just been reading about Super Tuesday, so she was on my mind even though she’s not running.

Callistemon Wed 04-Mar-20 21:15:53

Apologies again SirChenjin!

Callistemon Wed 04-Mar-20 21:14:08

SueDonim I think that Ms Clinton is Hillary with a double ell! Like Anne with an ee, it matters.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Mar-20 21:01:33

I watched the Mantel interview and, to be honest, I thought that she just waffled on and on and on..... She made the statement about racism being a factor but she failed to give any reasons or logic as to how she'd come to her conclusion. I just dismissed her as being an author trying to flog her next book.

sodapop Wed 04-Mar-20 20:55:44

Seems Hilary Mantel can criticise others for things they supposedly said but its ok for her to be extremely rude about the Duchess of Cambridge. Double standards ?

Anniebach Wed 04-Mar-20 20:43:46

The woman writes fiction and is a republican,

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 20:38:03

I’ve just had a quick look online and I see she possesses quite a barbed pen. I think I shall file her opinions under ‘ignore’.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 20:34:48

No Namsnanny I genuinely don’t know! I was being very lazy by not googling but was sitting in the car waiting for my son who was just about to finish his rugby training and didn’t have time.

I’m now wondering what my sense of humour is perceived to be...!

GagaJo Wed 04-Mar-20 20:26:09

I agree Greymar.

SueDonim Wed 04-Mar-20 20:24:53

I thought this was going to be a thread about Hilary Clinton and the American presidential elections! confused