Gransnet forums

News & politics

Senior RMT official suspended for saying he’d throw a party if Boris Johnson died

(194 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:11:59

This in response to the PM being hospitalised with this dreadful virus.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 22:43:50

Um, no.
Immigration has not been banned.

That was the point, I assumed.

Iam64 Sun 12-Apr-20 22:30:13

The man who will be told when his wife dies is in the same position as everyone else will be. I can’t find words to describe how terrible that is. By the way paddyanne, that’s no different than what the Johnson family were facing. If he had died, Mr Johnson would have died with no family members with him
The press reports said Carrie was at Chequers with symptoms. Of course that’s where the PM will go to recuperate. Maybe they will isolate separately there, as Prince Charles and his wife did. Mr J will need a decent amount of time to recuperate. I suspect there’s more chance Mr J will follow medical advice about isolation and convalescence than he did three weeks ago, before his brush with death.

trisher Sun 12-Apr-20 22:29:27

Oh come on Callistemon even you must see the irony in one of his nurses being from the EU and the other from New Zealand.
Anniebach No one really knows
One study from Hong Kong found the virus could be detected for 20 days or longer after the initial onset of symptoms in one-third of patients tested.
Another study from China found found the virus in a patients’ faecal samples five weeks after the first onset of symptoms.
But the detection of the virus doesn’t necessarily mean the person is infectious. We need more studies with larger sample sizes to get to the bottom of this question.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 22:19:23

Well, no, he didn't make it up even if you couldn't, and was making a point.

Anniebach Sun 12-Apr-20 22:18:15

Does he still have an infection, it’s frightening people can be
release from hospital before clear.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 22:17:27

He lives in No. 11
I think Tony and Cherie swapped flats and had the larger No. 11 flat done out for them as they had 4 children and it has remained so ever since.

trisher Sun 12-Apr-20 22:08:49

No 10 has a flat which is big enough to live in and certainly bigger than a lot of people living in London have to put up with. But heyit's BJ he can go off where he likes and take his infection with him.
Just seen him saying the NHS is "powered by love" . And the two nurses he mentions are from an EU country and New Zealand. You couldn't make it up!!!

Anniebach Sun 12-Apr-20 21:27:42

Like Catherine Calderwood ? and No 10 is a working office

paddyanne Sun 12-Apr-20 21:16:58

today theres a post onFB from a man in Liverpool who says his wife is in a nursing home,she has the virus ,he has been TOLD they will contact him when she dies .....the poor man is distraught .The politicians who have mishandled this from day one should be brought to justice when its over.
i certainly DONt have sympathy for Bojo ,he thinks of no one but himself and I cant see this "illness" that he has come through making a jot of a difference .My sympathy lies with the families of the thousands who are on record as dying and the thousands who haven't even been counted in the statistics.Note Boris and his GF are off to the country house.....bending the rules AGAIN!!

Sparkling Sun 12-Apr-20 18:46:10

This whole pandemic has bought put the best in people, also the worst. Some of these posters have shown the hate within them endorcing the beneath contempt rantings of ' that man'. I do hope he is sacked.
Luckily they are in the tiny minority. The trouble is that hate carries on to their children and ruins their lives.

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 13:27:15

I don't know who it was but someone had accused Boris's illness as being a " publicity stunt ". It was possibly in the Daily Mail online this last week.
What makes people say these things ? Anyone with half an eye could see how unwell the man was as he struggled on giving his daily reviews. Honestly, some people haven't got the sense they were born with.
Some horrible things have been said, but I suppose it's par for the course with some.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 13:08:09

but not sacked - yet

Anniebach Sun 12-Apr-20 13:02:59

He has been suspended

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 12:54:37

Chewbacca well said

trisher Chewbacca does not sit up on the moral high ground but is simply showing a degree of common decency which your posts do not seem to show:
Chewbacca I simply give you the moral high ground then. Sit up there and look down on the rest of us. There aren't many who can do it, most of us have emotional and human reactions to things.

If an emotional reaction is to celebrate someone's death, unless that person be someone who instigated the direct murder of millions, such as Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and now Assad, that is a strange reaction. Even then, the death of someone like that would bring relief to those living in terror under their regimes.

Iam64 that is interesting, so in all possibility a domestic abuser too.
Charming fellow.

Iam64 Sun 12-Apr-20 12:41:56

One of my concerns about people who says it's ok to make repellent comments about others, is about the impact of that level of anger, on wider society as well as on the individual making the comments.
Steve Hedley sounds a repellant bully. I can't be the only person who googled to find out more about him and came across photographs of his former partner, with extensive facial bruising. She alleges he attacked her, he denies this. The incident was some time ago, he wasn't prosecuted. The former partner was working with him in the Union.

I loathed Thatcher and loathe her legacy. She was very old, frail and she died. I didn't need to celebrate that in any way. I don't understand why anyone would.

Well said Chewbacca

lemongrove Sun 12-Apr-20 11:46:38

Spot on Chewbacca .....and trisher your mealy mouthed post in response is exactly what I expected.
The far left do love humanity ( the huddled masses) but never appear to like actual people especially if they have different politics.
....and it’s not ‘the rest of us’ but just you trisher at least so far who is condoning his views.

POGS Sun 12-Apr-20 11:44:32

paddyanne Sun 12-Apr-20 10:17:02

Its NOT a hate crime ,its an opinion .When Maggie Thatcher died there were parties in Scotland.Wrong I know but that woman destroyed lives and they samg the Witch is dead and were hopeful that another of the same kind wouldn't rise in her place
----

Correct and I am sure most of us remember the desire by some posters to reunite over their ' hatred ' at that time too. It is a pattern of behaviour for many.

It appears in a certain section of the population death / hoping someone will die is celebrated by as a joyous occasion and positively willed.

The hyoicritic voices who think they belong to a' kind political force'.

trisher Sun 12-Apr-20 11:38:21

Chewbacca I simply give you the moral high ground then. Sit up there and look down on the rest of us. There aren't many who can do it, most of us have emotional and human reactions to things. And sometiimes those emotional and human reactions lead us to do or say things that others may disapprove of. I do not think celebrating the death of someone who has harmed you in any way impacts on that person. They are after all dead. I do think actually doing things which cause harm to another person is repugnant and immoral and if I say something others consider unacceptable to draw attention to that harm then so be it. Just ignoring or accepting the harm and keeping quiet is in my opinion far worse a moral crime.
And now I consider this man's remarks have taken up enough of my time.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Apr-20 11:07:24

Everything you have said about the Tory cuts, the impact on the NHS and its consequences on all of those who have suffered as a result, I 100% agree with and support you on trisher. They should be held to account and the damage that they've caused should be rectified immediately. We agree on that. What I cannot agree with is your lack of ability to recognise that decent people, with a strong moral compass, would not celebrate, nor wish death, on another person. Decent, morally strong people are able to recognise that whilst they detest and deplore their actions, that person is someone's son, wife, husband, daughter, loved one. They are a human being and they deserve to be treated with the same respect that you expect to be treated. I don't like your way of thinking trisher; I don't like the way you've sought to wriggle out of ownership of some pretty vile comments on this subject. But I would never wish you harm or ill will because I can separate your comments and virtual actions from the person that I suppose you to be irl. And the very fact that you need this pointing out to you confirms that you do need to be reminded of morals and what purpose they serve.

trisher Sun 12-Apr-20 10:47:56

Chewbacca I am not seeking any reasons nor do I consider it morally wrong for someone to celebrate the death of someone they consider has wronged them. In fact I think it is human nature. There have been many posts about what people think should be done to others they feel have committed a crime, and celebrating their death is mild in comparison. So please don't preach morality at me.
I think it is morally wrong to undercut and undermine a service that many of us have always known was something to be proud of and then stand on the doorstep and applaud when you realise how much they are needed. Because the least you can do when you have got something wrong (and let's face it the Tories have consistently got it wrong with the NHS) is to acknowledge your mistake. I have yet to see a single Tory MP apologise for cheering when the public service wage increase was voted down. Somehow they seem to think that clapping makes up for everything. Now that is morally wrong!

janipat Sun 12-Apr-20 10:35:17

paddyanne did you miss the bit where he wished the whole cabinet to have touched Boris and catch the virus? Given that, as you have stated, it has been fatal in 10,000 cases that is wishing people potentially dead. I don't like the way this pandemic has been handled, much too slow a response, but to wish the virus on anyone is just outside normal morality and decency.

timetogo2016 Sun 12-Apr-20 10:32:30

TOP comment MawB.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Apr-20 10:29:49

The outrage surrounding Hedley's comment is nothing to do with politics.

It's about human decency. And a personal moral code where there are some depths that most decent people wouldn't plummet to. The self justification and whataboutery for singing nursery rhymes at the death of an old lady, whoever she was, says much about you. The fact that you're still seeking reasons and get out clauses for why celebrating the death, of someone who is personally unknown to you, is acceptable and justified confirms that you know is morally wrong. You just won't admit it.

gillybob Sun 12-Apr-20 10:18:00

It’s not about right wing or left wing though trisher it’s about a man in his powerful position openly wishing the death of another human being, just because he disagrees with his politics . I can’t see how anyone can defend this.

paddyanne Sun 12-Apr-20 10:17:02

Its NOT a hate crime ,its an opinion .When Maggie Thatcher died there were parties in Scotland.Wrong I know but that woman destroyed lives and they samg the Witch is dead and were hopeful that another of the same kind wouldn't rise in her place.
Opinions are just that .The man wasn't wishing him dead .Its just words.Life is never black and white Annie usually by thetime we reach this age we understand that .Me? I cant stand the man and I detest the way the Sun seemed to imply he was the second coming in Fridays edition.If you see him as a new messiah thats YOUR opinion but the 10000 families of people who are now dead because of his sheer incompetence will think differently .
The herd immunity is still being carried out by stealth ,have you seen the demopgraphic?

Todays isn't online ,this is from eatlier in the week

AGE0-19 5
AGE 20-39 53
AGE40-49 519
AGE 60 -79 2866
AGE 80+ 3805
THESE are the English figures and ONLY count those who died in Hospital NOT those who died in the community or care homes.The TRUE figure will be much higher.
I keep a close watch on the areas where my English family live and I am very worried for them ,especially my 80= aunt and in-law just outside London